PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tester?

geospyder
02-28-2012, 05:33 PM
Today while at Costco I bought some HA batteries. I asked the HA person if they had a battery holder I could have - the kind you hang on your key chain. I had lost mine. They gave me one that had a battery tester in it.

Call me naive but why does one need a battery tester? When I hear the double beep and the HAs go dead I just swap out both batteries. Is this an overkill? Should I be testing them and only replacing the bad one? I presumed they both die within hours of each other or am I presuming wrong?

Mick Shu
02-28-2012, 05:57 PM
was it free? maybe the other poster that is having problems with his batteries going dead quickly would like it.

geospyder
02-28-2012, 06:47 PM
was it free? maybe the other poster that is having problems with his batteries going dead quickly would like it.

It was a key chain battery caddy I asked for. The one they gave me has a built in battery tester. That was the first I'd heard of a battery tester for HA batteries. I was just curious how many people test their batteries. I tend to just replace both when the low battery alarm sounds. Yep - it was free but I'm keeping it because it is part of the battery caddy.

seb
02-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I found the HA battery tester basically worthless. You can test a battery and it will say it's ok and within a few hours you can get the double beep of death.

RoseRodent
02-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Battery testers had some limited use with analogue hearing aids, but are pointless with digis. Hearing aid batteries do not fade and die in a slope the way that alkaline batteries and lead acid batteries and things do, they go 100%, 100%, 99%, dead. The battery tester is only to help identify among de-tabbed batteries in a box which are spent and which are not. If you don't keep a box of mixed batteries in a box then there is no point at all.

Mick Shu
02-29-2012, 07:17 AM
people.. the guy asked for a battery case and they GAVE him what they had.. there were no black helicopter's circling the parking lot. that's probably why he got it FREE no one wanted a battery tester.

seb
02-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Mick,
Read the second part of the first post, He asked a question about battery testers and there need and we responded to that question. You must of only read the part of free battery case at Costco and stopped reading the rest of the post.

Hear-Ring
02-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Here's a scenario when you'd want a battery tester:

Let's say your hearing aid suddenly stops working. You are trying to clean it and are unsure if wax is blocking the sound coming out (as you can only see so far into the receiver tube). If it's still not working, and you just grabbed a fresh battery - then test the battery!

Some times batteries or whole packs of batteries are sent to wholesalers dead! It would be nice to know if you're hearing aid is broken or if you just had a bad batch of batteries.

seb
02-29-2012, 11:51 AM
Now that makes sense! Thanks for showing a use for the battery tester, I thought it was basically worthless, but your scenario now makes having one around worthwhile.

Mick Shu
02-29-2012, 11:57 AM
I understood the OP question.. but everyone piled on staying they were worthless.. yadda, yadda.. I told him to pass it along if he didn't like it. to they guy having problems with his batteries lasting an hour.

Hear-Ring
02-29-2012, 12:00 PM
:)

Glad to help!

JeffNNJ
03-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Mine whispers "battery".

dragon_sr
03-11-2012, 11:19 AM
I got a battery tester after buying batteries online and when i got them the expiration date on them was past. I called the company who sent them and a guy told me they were marked wrong so i got a tester to check them and they appear to be okay.

?tahW
04-01-2012, 06:36 PM
It was a key chain battery caddy I asked for. The one they gave me has a built in battery tester. That was the first I'd heard of a battery tester for HA batteries. I was just curious how many people test their batteries. I tend to just replace both when the low battery alarm sounds. Yep - it was free but I'm keeping it because it is part of the battery caddy.
Does the top row of your readings correspond to your left ear?
TIA.

geospyder
04-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Does the top row of your readings correspond to your left ear?
TIA.
Yes - Ahhh I see that they are not labelled - they are now :)