PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Aid Itching and Pain

Annette315
05-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Hi,

Let me introduce myself. I am a 45 year old female living in Israel. I have senso-neural hearing loss. I have had CIC hearing aids for about 3 years. I decided to get the BTE (Widex MIND220) hearing aids so that I could have more control with the volume. I now have three programs to choose from: standard, comfort, and TV.

These hearing aids (still testing them out) itch me really badly. Not always, but when they start itching I feel like I MUST take them out immediately and I don't want to put them back in. They also hurt when I take them out which makes me think something is not right. I have read other threads where people complain about itching and the responses to use different kinds of creams. I'm not sure if those creams are available here, but I don't understand how people can deal with the itching!

My audiologist says that I can have a mold made (right now I'm using the standard wire thingy that you push into your ear - I apologize for the non- technical speak - I have no idea what it's called). I was hesitant to use the mold because then I feel like I have TWO hearing aids - one that is going in my ear and on behind my ear! But I like the idea of having the different programs.

Any advice would be appreciated. I have an appointment (again!) with my audiologist this afternoon. I will attempt to add my audiogram results below.

My Audiogram 2/26/2012
Hz...250..0500.1000.1500.2000.3000.4000.600 0.8000
L......30404535.35..40505045
R......45454545.55..55454550

Speech disc:
L: 92% at 85 dB SRT 50 Toler 95
R: 70% at 95 dB SRT 60 Toler 105

Thanks,
Annette

seb
05-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Annette,
I have BTE's with earmolds and they are very comfortable and no it doesn't feel like I have 2 HA's in each ear. I remember they did itch every so often during the 1st month, but after that I haven't had a problem and most of the time I don't know they are in my ears. My wife also has HA's and has an open fit BTE and she had itching problems for the 1st couple of months but with the cream and different domes the itching has mostly disappeared. However, she is considering switching to earmolds because she sees how I never complain about my HA's and she complains about hers every so often because of problems she has with either the tubes clogging with wax or the tubes hurting her ears. Her audi has told her to let her know and she has no problem switching the HA's to molds. Anyway I hope this helps some and Good luck getting the new HA's straightened out.

jlgreer1
05-15-2012, 11:27 AM
I had to experiment with different size domes initially. I had a small amount of pain in one ear. It turned out that my ear canals are different sizes, probably not a rare condition.

Also, I have to change my domes every month or so. If I don't, my ear canals begin itching and ultimately become painful. Replacing the domes solves the problem.

Just my thoughts,

Jeff

Tino2You
05-15-2012, 01:31 PM
I had an open dome (silicon cone with large holes) in my left ear and a closed dome (same cone but with 2 tiny holes) in my right.

After 10 days of itching and hurting in my right ear only my audi replaced my closed dome with an open one. The result was amazing. No itching. It still is sore but not as much and I suspect once the ear canal heals all with be fine.

Hope this helps.

rw622
05-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Like you, I react badly to the normal ear pieces. I tried a variety of creams, and a number of different materials for ear molds. In the end I went with 24K Gold Plated ear molds, and no pain. It may be that you have an allergic reaction to plastic, and your ear canal is reacting to the plastic of your ear pieces. My 2 cents worth.

hamjor
05-15-2012, 07:55 PM
As you can probably tell, your complaint of domes that irritate the ear canal and make them itch is fairly common. Standard approaches audiologists use here in the US are to change out the domes to a different material or configuration, use ointments, or have custom molds made. If the custom molds are made of the correct material for your ear and have a precise fit, they should neither itch nor hurt. They're not expensive and at least here in the US, you often can have them redone at no extra charge within the first month or two if the first ones aren't quite right.

stephtara
05-16-2012, 01:29 AM
I have soft (domes?) thingies in my ear, and my ear is quite finicky about having stuff inside it. My audiologist recommended putting a tiny amount of sweet almond oil on the piece before inserting it. It helps insertion and soothes the skin (don't go overboard though or you'll have oil all over the place!)

Rae
05-16-2012, 09:31 AM
My ENT prescribed DermOtic drops (flucocinolone acetonide), which is a corticosteroid. It has been really helpful.

IMBack
05-16-2012, 11:08 AM
corticosteroid not something you want to be using long term.

Lower arm of a 47 year old female showing skin damage due to topical steroid use
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d5/Atrophied_skin.png/220px-Atrophied_skin.png

Annette315
05-16-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. At my appointment the audiologist offered to make molds for me but didn't want to do it until I get my old hearing aid back (it's out for repair).

Can someone explain the difference between an open and closed dome? I am not sure which one I have.

Also is it normal that the weight of the wire and hearing aid causes pain on my outer ear? When I take it off, I can see a mark on my ear. The audiologist says I wasn't wearing them properly, but even when she put it on for me it hurt me later.

prodigyplace
05-16-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your responses. At my appointment the audiologist offered to make molds for me but didn't want to do it until I get my old hearing aid back (it's out for repair).

Can someone explain the difference between an open and closed dome? I am not sure which one I have.

Also is it normal that the weight of the wire and hearing aid causes pain on my outer ear? When I take it off, I can see a mark on my ear. The audiologist says I wasn't wearing them properly, but even when she put it on for me it hurt me later.
The wires on my RIC aids do not cause pain.

Perhaps the wires on the receivers are too short for you.