Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oticon streamer or Phonak iCom

1. Default Oticon streamer or Phonak iCom

What are your pros & cons......
    I want to be able to switch from TV to cellphone to computer and be able to take a call anytime. Also to be able to quickly lower the volume when on the computer or TV....as many programs "blair" out a a much higher volume than others.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by installer View Post
    I want to be able to switch from TV to cellphone to computer and be able to take a call anytime. Also to be able to quickly lower the volume when on the computer or TV....as many programs "blair" out a a much higher volume than others.

Thank you
    Have a look in Resound's UNITE also http://www.resound.com/products/unite
    Hidden Content

Everything about hearing loss and hearing aids

3. Default

Just wanted to add that SiR_hC is correct in that the Resound wireless accessories will do everything you want and you WON'T be forced to wear a neckloop as the data/voice is streamed right to your aids (not an intermediate device).

4. Default

Oh, and just for clarification, Unite is Resound's name for their wireless accessories for the Alera hearing aid.

Thank you
    I test-drove a set of phonaks with an icom, oticon agil pros with streamer, and a set of resounds with their streamer, each for about 3 weeks last year.

The icom was difficult to control, given that it only had one button, and it almost always did the wrong thing. The resound had lots of dropout issues, similar control problems and poor battery life. On the plus side it seemed to have the best microphone so that callers could hear me.

The oticon is streamer has a lot better direct control (at the expense of having more buttons) and fantastic battery life. I still have issues controlling the mix, or when I'm on one of my phones and the other starts ringing.

I eventually settled on the agil pros + streamer. It's still got a lot of issues but it was the strongest of the three during my extended test. My biggest lingering complaint is how long it takes for the system to switch from one program to another, and the complete loss of audio when switching between a standard program and a streaming program.

That one is frustrating because people see me push the button to hang up the phone and immediately start asking me questions, and the instruments are giving dead air for that 2-3 second window.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    I test-drove a set of phonaks with an icom, oticon agil pros with streamer, and a set of resounds with their streamer, each for about 3 weeks last year.

The icom was difficult to control, given that it only had one button, and it almost always did the wrong thing. The resound had lots of dropout issues, similar control problems and poor battery life. On the plus side it seemed to have the best microphone so that callers could hear me.

The oticon is streamer has a lot better direct control (at the expense of having more buttons) and fantastic battery life. I still have issues controlling the mix, or when I'm on one of my phones and the other starts ringing.

I eventually settled on the agil pros + streamer. It's still got a lot of issues but it was the strongest of the three during my extended test. My biggest lingering complaint is how long it takes for the system to switch from one program to another, and the complete loss of audio when switching between a standard program and a streaming program.

That one is frustrating because people see me push the button to hang up the phone and immediately start asking me questions, and the instruments are giving dead air for that 2-3 second window.
    What hearing aids did you try. I have seen two audiologist, one recommending Oticon Agil and the other Phonak smart IX. I have never had hearing aids before and want to get the best for the $$. Is there any difference in the sound for music or TV or on either side of a cellphone conversation with either brand?

Thank you.

What hearing aids did you try. I have seen two audiologist, one recommending Oticon Agil and the other Phonak smart IX. I have never had hearing aids before and want to get the best for the $$. Is there any difference in the sound for music or TV or on either side of a cellphone conversation with either brand?

Thank you.

I tested the phonak versatas, the oticon agil pros and the resound aleras.

You can look up my other posts on this board and you'll see a few notes, but to specifically answer your questions:

I don't think anybody has made a hearing aid that sounds right for conversation AND for watching TV or listening to music without changing to another program.

When I watch TV or listen to music I switch to an alternate program. I do not use an interface or ALD, so it's still just the mics in the hearing aids.

That said, when in TV/Music mode, the aleras were best, the oticons a close second and the phonaks trailed third.

For telephone use, I separate this into two categories: Holding a traditional phone up to my ear vs. using an interface.

When directly using the telephone, I felt that the phonaks had the edge, the oticons were close and the resound aleras were more troublesome.

When using the interfaces, you have to separate what I heard vs. what they heard.

Oticon streamer: I hear great. They don't hear me well unless I hold the streamer very close.

Resound unite: I hear ok, with significant crackly dropouts and extreme sensitivity to clip placement and small movements of the head. They heard me ok if I was in a quiet room. Anywhere else, they couldn't hear me well.

Phonak iCom: I heard well but with occasional interference. They could barely hear me at all, many complaints.

It is important to note that with all three brands, when you switch from the built-in mics to a bluetooth or TV streamer, the hearing aids will change from whatever program you had selected before to a special program. In every test I've done so far, the advanced filtering & processing systems are not available when you switch to that accessory mode. It's a big shortcoming, but nobody has a competitive advantage- just minor workarounds.

The bottom line is that there is no best- only a best for you for now. You've got to decide which listening environments you'll be in most often, and it's important to understand that this is likely to change once you've been wearing HAs a while. All three of the hearing aids I tested were excellent in some categories and poor in others, so a lot of the challenge is in predicting how you will use yours. Make sure you understand your options for trying a set and returning them if they don't work out. You don't want to get stuck paying for something that doesn't work for you.
    Last edited by Buckaroo; 04-30-2011 at 08:34 AM.

Thank you
    Regarding your problems with tvs blaring at you-

I work in the TV business and I guarantee you that it will be cheaper and easier to solve that problem by replacing or modifying your TV set. You can solve the problem with clever functions in hearing aids but you'll spend more and the results won't be as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
    Phonak iCom: I heard well but with occasional interference. They could barely hear me at all, many complaints.
    The bottom line is that there is no best- only a best for you for now. You've got to decide which listening environments you'll be in most often, and it's important to understand that this is likely to change once you've been wearing HAs a while. All three of the hearing aids I tested were excellent in some categories and poor in others, so a lot of the challenge is in predicting how you will use yours. Make sure you understand your options for trying a set and returning them if they don't work out. You don't want to get stuck paying for something that doesn't work for you.
    This I find quite strange as I've been using the iCom for just over 2 years now and have never had any interference on my end, nor complaints from the other end about sound quality. As I use it with both a business multiline desk phone with a Jabra adapter and with my own Moto cell phone, I have asked and no one can tell that I'm on a headset. I have specifically asked business clients as I must be heard in order to solve their problems and they all say it sounds like I'm on the regular handset. I do have some issues with a lower quality cell phone from the office though, so have the after hours calls forwarded to my own cell instead of carrying the company cell. The cell phone and its Bluetooth support is what haves the biggest effect on quality. I have found Motorola phones to have the best Bluetooth quality with any headset, not just the iCom.

The last part of your statement is the nail on the head answer. I totally agree. It also takes time to get accustomed to the aids, whether a first pair or beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilk View Post
    This I find quite strange as I've been using the iCom for just over 2 years now and have never had any interference on my end, nor complaints from the other end about sound quality.
    I sure wish I'd had your version of the experience. Mine was so bad I swapped in the iCom for another, thinking it was defective and there was no change. I tested it against 2 different bluetooth phones, an Apple and a Sony Ericsson.

I am curious- what is the noise level in your typical phone environment? I am rarely in a quiet office, myself.

Also I should be more clear- the interference I heard from the iCom was minor and quite manageable, but more noticeable than what the oticon gives me. Much better than the resound unite.