Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starkey WII Remote Control

1. Default Starkey WII Remote Control

I am trialing a remote control with my Starkey WII's. I like the idea. But the problem I am having is even though it is set for both right and left units sometimes only one unit recieves the change and the aids get out of sink. They don't communicate between each other and I end up with 2 different programs running or 2 different volumes. Is this a common problem or is there an adjustment my audi can do to fix it?

2. Default

I had the Starkey Wii on trial and had the same problem. I'm not sure what caused it and how to fix it because I returned the HA's. I determined how to avoid getting the HA's out of sync and that is to slow down. I think what's happening is that it takes a few seconds for both HA's to switch programs. For example, if you change from program #1 to program #2 you will hear the beep in one ear for program #2 and in a few seconds the 2nd HA will change to #2; but if you don't wait for the second HA to change to #2 and move on to #3 before the 2nd HA has changed then they will get out of sync by one program. It gets worst if you keep changing quickly and the difference between the progams becomes greater. Then you have to open the battery compartment on both HA's to get everthing back to normal or change the progam on one ear with the remote until they are the same. I finally learned to wait a few seconds when changing the programs and it became normal to me. I had a lot of other problems with these HA's, which is the reason I returned them and switched to the Phonak S Smart IX.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by lesshearing View Post
    I am trialing a remote control with my Starkey WII's. I like the idea. But the problem I am having is even though it is set for both right and left units sometimes only one unit recieves the change and the aids get out of sink. They don't communicate between each other and I end up with 2 different programs running or 2 different volumes. Is this a common problem or is there an adjustment my audi can do to fix it?
    I've seen this issue. It is quite annoying. I suspect it will be fixed in the next software update.

Frankly though I rarely dispense a remote anyway. I consider it a relic of early digital aids. A good hearing system should simply not need a bunch of multi memories and volume settings, and the Wi is no exception to this rule.

Generally I recommend that an initial fit be with one memory, and maybe an automatic telephone response of one kind or another. A patient needing to carry a remote and juggle multiple programs and volume settings just shouldn't be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCT View Post
    I've seen this issue. It is quite annoying. I suspect it will be fixed in the next software update.

Frankly though I rarely dispense a remote anyway. I consider it a relic of early digital aids. A good hearing system should simply not need a bunch of multi memories and volume settings, and the Wi is no exception to this rule.

Generally I recommend that an initial fit be with one memory, and maybe an automatic telephone response of one kind or another. A patient needing to carry a remote and juggle multiple programs and volume settings just shouldn't be necessary.

Kind of an overgeneralization IMHO. I have patients who have the Wi series with an extra program for various reasons (specific situation with challenging acoustics, church, etc...) and some others only have 1 program.

My patients like their remotes. Especially for dropping and picking up the stream from their Surflink. In a perfect world, your right, remotes wouldn't be needed. But hearing aids aren't perfect - even our beloved Starkey aids- and many older patients find it difficult to manipulate the programming button on the aids. The mute feature on the remote is helpful also, and much faster than manually using the push and hold feature of the aids.

As far as the patience required for remote changes, it's true. You should hear the indicator in one ear - a pause - and then in the other ear. And you should make sure that you hear both of them to ensure a bilateral change has been made. It's like when we play the indicators at the initial fit to demonstrate what they will sound like. The patient hears it in one ear - a pause - then in the other ear. I'm assuming the reason for this is that if both indicators sounded simultaneously, it would prove difficult for patients to determine if a change was made to both.

dr.amy
    Last edited by dr.amy; 06-08-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelllling :)

Default Remotes are useful....

Quote Originally Posted by ZCT View Post

My patients like their remotes for many reasons :

- Cannot operate controls on the aids due to physical limitations.
    - Some of the RIC's are very small and there is no room on them for different controls which can be useful in different listening situations.
    - For a first time fitting it has proven useful to reduce gain and allow the patient to increase volume via the remote and find out their "comfort zone" in different situations. The data logging in many of today's aids allows me to see if they have a preferred volume setting. This information is useful in follow up appointments.
    - The remote allows for discreet adjustments by the user if the "guest" speaker at church or other meeting has a particularly soft voice (at a distance).

As far as Starkey having trouble with their remotes and will be offering a software "fix" I am not surprised. It has been my experience that they rush products and features to market without enough testing / verification. In fact they never thought remotes were required until recently.

-

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by HIP_Matt View Post
    My patients like their remotes for many reasons :

- Cannot operate controls on the aids due to physical limitations.
    - Some of the RIC's are very small and there is no room on them for different controls which can be useful in different listening situations.
    - For a first time fitting it has proven useful to reduce gain and allow the patient to increase volume via the remote and find out their "comfort zone" in different situations. The data logging in many of today's aids allows me to see if they have a preferred volume setting. This information is useful in follow up appointments.
    - The remote allows for discreet adjustments by the user if the "guest" speaker at church or other meeting has a particularly soft voice (at a distance).

As far as Starkey having trouble with their remotes and will be offering a software "fix" I am not surprised. It has been my experience that they rush products and features to market without enough testing / verification. In fact they never thought remotes were required until recently.

-
    I can semi agree with you Matt. But really if you truly ask a patient what they REALLY want, it is an aid that like glasses or contact lenses just WORKS. Increasingly modern technology allows them to do this without user intervention.

I can't agree on the Starkey rushing things to market, I've dispensed them since 1994 and it's not been my experience at all. If anything they can be a little conservative with new technology and not jumping on the bandwagon.

I'm also not sure, as I stated above, that's it's a "bug" that needs fixed. I think it changes the way it does so that the patient can ensure that both ears have in fact changed. Just requires some patientce and counseling or practice.

dr. amy

This is my first post, and I was so glad to see the discussion about the Wi. Today, I had my first visit with the audiologist and ordered the Wi. It really concerned me later that I had not done any studying or asking questions (such as on this forum) before going in for the evaluation. I have a question, does the Wi automatically come with the remote control, or is that something that must be ordered aside from the hearing aids and the Wi device?

Quote Originally Posted by listening_gal View Post
    This is my first post, and I was so glad to see the discussion about the Wi. Today, I had my first visit with the audiologist and ordered the Wi. It really concerned me later that I had not done any studying or asking questions (such as on this forum) before going in for the evaluation. I have a question, does the Wi automatically come with the remote control, or is that something that must be ordered aside from the hearing aids and the Wi device?
    All accessories are optional; remote, TV streamer, Bluetooth phone thing (when/if available). But, your professional may have bundled some accessories and given you a price that included all the options.
    Last edited by Don; 06-28-2011 at 06:48 AM.
    Freq L R
    0250 25 20
    0500 20 25
    1000 30 40
    1500 50 55
    2000 50 65
    3000 70 85
    4000 85 95
    6000 90 95
    8000 75 85

SRT L/R = 60/55 , WRS @ 105 L/R = 80/84%

Currently - Resound Future from Costco w/Phone Clip.

Thanks, Don. I'll call the audiologist's office today.