Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it about analog sound you like best?

Default What is it about analog sound you like best?

As a hearing instrument practitioner, I hear people telling me how they like the sound of the analogs better, amongst many other things.

I am doing a study about the specific reasons why people liked their analog hearing aids better. The purpose is to determine if anything can be done with digitals that isn't being done currently.

So, if you have any experience with the transition from analog to digital, or if you tried digital and went back to your analog, I want to know what you have to say.

I look forward to reading the responses in this forum.

HearingAidHelper

I wish I could help you but I don't know how to explain it. I have one of my old analog HAs for my right ear (wish I had it for my left now) and the sound almost brings tears to my ears with it in. I have seen on many posts where it has been said that is foolish and digital can be programmed to be like an analog. I have never tried that and don't know if it works. I have very good programmed Widex Divas I still use, tried my left one a couple days ago and it almost blew my head off before I could shut it down (has not been reprogrammed). I really think you have to have the experience of being HOH and have used different aids or be able to explain it (which I can not) so as to understand it. I would like to see someone explain it. All I know the analog produces a most pleasant sound to me.
    2000__R-45___L-50
    3000__R-55___L-65
    4000__R-80___L-90
    6000__R-95___L-75
    8000__R-95___L-75

Thanks for your reply JW. Is there any way you can articulate what it is that you get with your analogs, that you don't get with your digitals?

On a side note, I am surprised that there hasn't been more posts on this topic.
    Interesting to say the least, as I thought there were going to be a huge mass of people posting their experiences.

Probably, digital has been around long enough and has proved to be so suprerior to analogue that there many people left who like analogue. I did, and I some trouble getting used to digital, but even as I missed the rich sound, I can't deny that I could hear (comrehend) better with the digital.

I have a music program which, while not linear, has no compression. Sound exactly how I remember analogue.
    0250.Hz L-70 R-55
    0500.Hz L-75 R-65
    1000.Hz L-80 R-80
    2000.Hz L-80 R-85
    3000.Hz L-80 R-85
    4000.Hz L-80 R-80
    6000.Hz L-75 R-80
    8000.Hz L-80 R-75

WRS:
    L 84% @ 105 dB
    R 40% @ 105 dB
    Both= 76%

Rexton Trax 42
    Formerly Resound Future (Costco)
    Formerly Starkey Destiny 1200

Hi John,

Thanks for your reply.

The sound of your Destiny 1200 can be programmed in a linear way with ease. Can I assume correctly that you like your music program better than your other settings?

Mr. Austin (the boss at Starkey) fits hearing aids in a linear fashion a considerable amount of time rather successfully.

HearingAidHelper

I wouldn't say I like the music program better, except for music. With my degree of recruitment, I could not stand being with out compression, except for the controlled enviroment when listenting to music.

And even in the musi program, I would not want linear. I want to hear the highs that an analogue (linear) would not permit me to hear.

Over the last four years I really feel as though I have heard my favorite music for the first time again.

Analogue is archaic , and I wouldn't go back.
    0250.Hz L-70 R-55
    0500.Hz L-75 R-65
    1000.Hz L-80 R-80
    2000.Hz L-80 R-85
    3000.Hz L-80 R-85
    4000.Hz L-80 R-80
    6000.Hz L-75 R-80
    8000.Hz L-80 R-75

WRS:
    L 84% @ 105 dB
    R 40% @ 105 dB
    Both= 76%

Rexton Trax 42
    Formerly Resound Future (Costco)
    Formerly Starkey Destiny 1200

Great, thanks for sharing.

Perhaps I can add some food for thought and see if anyone responds to it.

Those seeking replacement hearing aids, should not consider paying top dollar for their 'premium' hearing aids. Instead, they should buy the entry level hearing aids as they may in-fact find them more appealing with respect to how they process the sound, and offer similar types of controls like a traditional volume control.

Thoughts?

Being able to fine tune the hearing aids like a graphic equalizer used to do for a stereo system might be bit of overkill especially for someone with a profound loss. I don't really seem to benefit from that all that much. What I do appreciate about the digital aids is their ability to better manage loud sound. The digital aids handle the loud sound better keeping them clear and sharp like the sounds should be , whereas the older style aids would distort the sound making it sound garbled. Again this may be something only those with a severe or profound loss would be aware of.

Thanks for your input Hask12.

I am quite surprised that so few people who say they love their analog hearing aids have not replied to this post... Maybe there aren't so many of you left?

Folks, I am still looking for your input if you have some. For those people who love analog sound, what is it about your analog sound that you prefer over digital hearing aids???

HearingAidHelper