Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Audiologist to support hearing aid bought on line

1. Default

Want a cheap hearing aid from a 'real' audi? Just ask!

You might strike lucky and find someone who has excess stock, or unwanted trial aids, or who simply needs some money to pay an urgent bill.

What can you lose by asking?
    My professional details can be found in the 'Hidden Content ' section of the forum

Counterfit hearing aids. Never heard of such a thing,,,,,,scare tactics. The big manufacturers protect their brand name.

Look it's real simple.... a local professional must charge much more as their expenses are much higher than an internet provider. But the local pro does provide much more and probably better services.

Its up to you, do you want local hand holding or the cheaper distant internet guys.

My advice: Only go with the internet guys if you are an experienced user and are comfortable with the idea of having programmed at a distance. Ed

Quote Originally Posted by ed121 View Post
    Counterfit hearing aids. Never heard of such a thing,,,,,,scare tactics. The big manufacturers protect their brand name.

Look it's real simple.... a local professional must charge much more as their expenses are much higher than an internet provider. But the local pro does provide much more and probably better services.

Its up to you, do you want local hand holding or the cheaper distant internet guys.

My advice: Only go with the internet guys if you are an experienced user and are comfortable with the idea of having programmed at a distance. Ed
    Unequivocally FALSE statement.

I have seen 6 pairs of counterfeit Siemens hearing aids in the past 16 months alone! They look legit and have serial numbers. But they come from China, and when you call Siemens to verify serial numbers, they will verify that they are counterfeit.

With all due respect Ed, don't mislead people by making such a claim. I never have and never will resort to "scare tactics". And anyone who knows me here on this forum can vouch for that. It is a REAL issue that unsuspecting, well-intentioned patients fall prey to all the time.

dr.amy

Quote Originally Posted by Deafhead View Post
    I am planning on buying a hearing aid on line from Precise Hearing, who have offered to pay $75 towards the first local audiologist visit. After that, I would have to return the hearing aid to them for adjustments and they would return it to me the same day. This all sounds great, except I cannot get an audiologist to agree to adjust an aid that they did not provide,at any price. The hearing aids I was recommended when I had my hearing test,cost more than twice the price of that same aid on line,if bought from the hearing centre where my test was done. I would be prepared to pay a reasonable amount for necessary visits,but unless I pay twice the price for the aid, I'm stuck with only long distance help. Any suggestions? Santa Monica or the West Valley-Woodland Hills, would be convenient for me.
    Try an audi working with an ENT doctor. I've had fairly good luck, for $200, in Seattle.

How did you end up buying?

good luck, elijah
    elijah lovejoy
    COSTCO audiogram 22jan2010
    hz 250 500 750 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k hz
    left: 65 75 80 75 85 90 90 100 95
    right 25 30 25 25 25 45 50 60 65
    (left eardrum ruptured many times diving, rebuilt by ENT in 1995)
    Ph.D in mathematical psych in 1966. Retired from Univ. of Calif where I taught for 30 years.
    Also retired from U.S. State Department (baby diplomat in Barbados for 2 years).

Now living in Hawaii (big island) and West Seattle. Don't sell anything.

elijah,
    Just curious if you even looked at the date of Deafheads post? This thread has been inactive since 12/15/2011; Deafhead joined the Forum on 6/22/2011 and the last time we heard from him was 8/19/2011, so I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that he won't see your reply and hasn't been on the Forum for a long time. Dr. Amy has also dropped out in the two year time period also, with her last post being on 3/5/2012. If you're going to respond to 2 year old posts at least click on their name and see if they are still active otherwise your going to be waisting your time trying to enlighten them.
    Last edited by seb; 04-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    elijah,
    Just curious if you even looked at the date of Deafheads post? This thread has been inactive since 12/15/2011; Deafhead joined the Forum on 6/22/2011 and the last time we heard from him was 8/19/2011, so I'm going out on a limb here and guessing that he won't see your reply and hasn't been on the Forum for a long time. Dr. Amy has also dropped out in the two year time period also, with her last post being on 3/5/2012. If you're going to respond to 2 year old posts at least click on their name and see if they are still active otherwise your going to be waisting your time trying to enlighten them.
    Dear Seb,

You are one of the posters who has taught me the most, as I read the forums. I really appreciate the contributions you make.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to dates, since I think that some others may also rummage around in the Forums, finding what they can learn from.
    (I do this a good deal.)
    So I was writing for general readers, not the posters. Is that silly?

My thought du jour is that people can buy decent used aids for a few hundred dollars (or less) and get them adjusted to an audiogram by mailing to someone who offers that service by mail. I've used
    donald = hearingguy1@gmail.com for several aids, with flawless service, and moderate charges. < $50 to adjust one aid to my graph.

I'd be very happy to hear from you any time, on the forums or at
    lovejoyelijah@gmail.com.

Again, thanks for your input, today and in the past.!!. elijah
    elijah lovejoy
    COSTCO audiogram 22jan2010
    hz 250 500 750 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k hz
    left: 65 75 80 75 85 90 90 100 95
    right 25 30 25 25 25 45 50 60 65
    (left eardrum ruptured many times diving, rebuilt by ENT in 1995)
    Ph.D in mathematical psych in 1966. Retired from Univ. of Calif where I taught for 30 years.
    Also retired from U.S. State Department (baby diplomat in Barbados for 2 years).

Now living in Hawaii (big island) and West Seattle. Don't sell anything.