Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Bernafon Chronos at COSTCO

  1. #1

    Default Bernafon Chronos at COSTCO

    I went to COSTCO for a hearing test today and audiologist recommended Bernafon Chronos. They just received demo set today in the mail. When they tried to program the computer would not recognize. Said code not available until Aug 1 when COSTCO is supposed to announce Chronos availability for $1,300 each. Has anyone purchased these from another source? How do to they compare to Resound Future?

  2. #2

    Default

    IF the code is not available until August 1, they probably are not meant to be sold until then. I doubt you will find others with any experience they could share. (Any beta testers would be under a non-disclosure agreement.)

    The professional should have given you a choice of other aids, though.
    It is strange they would suggest an unfamiliar aid they could not adjust, That, to me, is a warning sign to be cautious.
    .....250....500......1k......2k.......3k......4k.. ....8k
    L.....20......20......40......40......60......55.. ....80
    R.....25......25......40......50......55......60.. ....60

  3. #3

    Default

    The audiologist did offer other aids. Since I am just looking to upgrade from my current HA's I wanted to demo the new ones and was wondering if anyone has purchased or tried these from another source.

  4. #4

    Default My Costco experience 7.23.11

    From a demo at a TruHearing-affiliated store, I was interested on the ReSound Alera. Then, found out (here! THANKS!!) about the Resound Future. Literally half the price for the same feature set sounded like a winner, and so made the Costco appointment.

    When I get done with the test, the Specialist points me to, not the Future, but to the Bernafon Chronos--which I'd never heard of. Asked why, got no intelligible explanation. Said, I want to go home and check out the interwebs. So, I do, and find this thread, as well as others for the Bernafon Venti. Also, check out Bernafon's corporate site--which I found much less impressive than ReSound's (and I'm not talking flash effects, but rather peer-reviewed research papers). Did, digging around, find, in About Bernafon, Press Releases, the one from April 6, when the aid was premiered at the Audiology Now! conference in Chicago. (This site won't let me put up the link.)

    These may turn out to be wonderful for many customers. But I gotta say that I'm a skeptic--particularly with the set-up software not in the stores until 8.1.11, and there are a lot of TM's in that press release, but not much in the way of technical explanation anywhere on their website. Newest doesn't always mean better; sometimes, it just means newer.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miser View Post
    I went to COSTCO for a hearing test today and audiologist recommended Bernafon Chronos. They just received demo set today in the mail. When they tried to program the computer would not recognize. Said code not available until Aug 1 when COSTCO is supposed to announce Chronos availability for $1,300 each. Has anyone purchased these from another source? How do to they compare to Resound Future?
    Chronos = Oticon Agil -> almost identical features with different name

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by prodigyplace View Post
    IF the code is not available until August 1, they probably are not meant to be sold until then. I doubt you will find others with any experience they could share. (Any beta testers would be under a non-disclosure agreement.)

    The professional should have given you a choice of other aids, though.
    It is strange they would suggest an unfamiliar aid they could not adjust, That, to me, is a warning sign to be cautious.
    I assume that the Costco person looked at the client's chart and, having seen the specs. of the new model, thought that they would be appropriate -- but it was not until s/he tried to program them that s/he became aware that they are not yet officially available. Costco does have other Bernafon models, and I can't imagine that programming a new model would present much of a problem.
    Wearing Rexton "Insite+ Free" open-fit (from Costco).

    ...250Hz 500Hz 1KHz 1.5KHz 2KHz 3KHz 4KHz 6KHz 8KHz
    L -15..... -25..... -30..... -35..... -60... -65..... -65... -70... -80
    R -15.... -20..... -35..... -35..... -35... -65..... -70... -75... -90

  7. #7

    Default

    Looks like Oticon and Bernafon are owned by the same company. Look at on the site demant.com/about.cfm

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    2,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Miser View Post
    Looks like Oticon and Bernafon are owned by the same company. Look at on the site demant.com/about.cfm
    It's widely established that Bernafon benefits from the 'trickle-down' of the Oticon chips. I haven't fitted the Chronos yet, but I have fitted a lot of Bernafon product in the past. If the audiologist was happy to recommend them on that basis: it's a good sign that he/she's confident with the software.

    Value for money wise, getting a re-badged Agil from Costo seems like a superb idea - I don't think you'll find a better specified new aid for similar money anywhere.
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bethesda, MD (Washn DC)
    Posts
    895

    Default

    Whoa. Stop. Are not the Agils WDRC and the Chromo Bernafon's Channeless technology?
    Think so. That's a very fundemental difference. And the master chip must be different. Ed

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    2,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed121 View Post
    Whoa. Stop. Are not the Agils WDRC and the Chromo Bernafon's Channeless technology?
    Think so. That's a very fundemental difference. And the master chip must be different. Ed
    Why wouldn't WRDC be possible in channel-free? you can do it in analogue.

    Bernafon strategy isn't actually 'channel free' at all, it just samples and modulates at 9,500 points - each channel is only 1 and a bit KHz wide. It just means the transitions are so minimal, it should sound seamless.
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •