Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why SNHL is progressive?

1. Default Why SNHL is progressive?

I want to understand why it is progressive ? And Can we do something from preventing it to go more? Mine had progressed from mild back in 1994 to severe/profound in 2011?
    .....250....500......1k......2k......3k.......4k.. ....8k
    L.....100....90......85......85......75......70.. ....65
    R.....50.....70......95......95.....100......105.. ...90

Quote Originally Posted by giftedlion View Post
    I want to understand why it is progressive ? And Can we do something from preventing it to go more? Mine had progressed from mild back in 1994 to severe/profound in 2011?
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I am in the same boat as you. Mine has progressed from mild to severe as well and my test results are as bad as yours. It sucks.
    Thank you,
    Tricia

.....250....500....1k.....2k....3k.....4k....6k .....8k

R.....45.....60.....90......90.....90.....85.....8 5......85

L.....35.....45.....85......95....100....110....11 0...100

Speech Disc
    R - 40%
    L - 25%

MCL - 85 db

Hearing Aids: still searching

SNHL is like hair loss in men.My loss was 60 db at 14 . I am 36 now and my loss is 88-90 db.

SNHL individual here. My hearing loss progresses every year. Used to be because of ear infections until I moved to florida, now Im pretty sure its just every day exposure to tv, music, loud noises, etc., just as with natural old age but I had a jump start on it.

Default A recommended hearing aid for profound hearing loss?

Hi! I have had my BTE Unitrons since I was little. My audiologist says stick with them because they are the only sounds my brain has adapted to and any new device would sound really foreign to me. But they are huge. And Ugly. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend something that is possibly just as powerful. Im 33 now, and would like to get up to speed with the latest technology that looks a little more appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by silvergirlk30 View Post
    Hi! I have had my BTE Unitrons since I was little. My audiologist says stick with them because they are the only sounds my brain has adapted to and any new device would sound really foreign to me. But they are huge. And Ugly. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend something that is possibly just as powerful. Im 33 now, and would like to get up to speed with the latest technology that looks a little more appealing.
    I'm guessing that he's referring to US80PP, which could prove tricky to resolve. Put your loss up on here and you'll get a suggestion or two which might help you.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thumbs up Change them

Quote Originally Posted by silvergirlk30 View Post
    As someone who was given digital hearing aids for the first time 10 1/2 yrs ago and totally different brand I can understand where your audiologist is coming from. There is one thing though its your life and your brain! I found the first year hard after the switch because of the range of my hearing loss and the amount of extra sounds I was hearing. I got there eventually and its only now that I need to get new ones that I realized I got used to them so much that so many people are confunded at how bad my loss is. You will need to be strong and wear them everyday but when there is a will there is a way.

250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000
    70 90 95 105 105 110 N/R L ear
    75 90 95 105 105 N/R N/R R ear

Quote Originally Posted by eyesgreendeaf View Post
    SNHL is like hair loss in men. My loss was 60 db at 14. I am 36 now and my loss is 88-90 db.
    That is an interesting way to put it. I never would have thought of it that way.

Sadly, that is not true, because products are available to help men regrow their hair. All we can do is wait for researchers to study stem cells and transplants on humans (they are working on mice right now) and hope eventually the FDA approves the procedures. I agree with everyone else here it sucks.

Answer for the original question: Cochlear hairs do not regenerate when they die.

I've heard that people who live in mountains have perfect hearing into their 90s.