Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why SNHL is progressive?

A lot of hearing loss has to do with what you do for a living, how loud you listen to music and how well you protect what hearing you have left. If you work in a noisy job and don't wear hearing protection all the time you will lose more hearing. If you like to listen to loud music or attend rock concerts with no ear protection you will lose more of your hearing, I have several friends with hearing aids that like to attend rock concerts and don't use any form of ear protection and every year their hearing gets worse and they can't understand why. I was told in the 4th grade by my ENT use ear protection when around loud equipment or noises and avoid rock concerts and protect the hearing you have and I have followed his advice and over 40 years it has progressed but not much. Protect what you have at all times and see if you can slow it down.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Seb, even if you do protect your hearing, you will lose some eventually, just at a slower rate and much later in life.

The problem with trying to protect my ears at a noisy warehouse was I could not hear a supervisor or cowoker talking to me. People looked at me and did not say anything just because they knew I could not hear them with my ears covered. Also, whenever I heard a certain noise I thought it was something else. So I decided not to wear the expensive custom-made earplugs at work because solving one problem caused two others.

Agil,
    You can purchase noise canceling muffs that let you hear voices but protect you from harmful noises. Home Depot sells a Ryobi Tek4 noise canceling protector for about $70, gun shops also sell similar muffs but they cost a lot more. The way they were explained to me was they are similar to the auto darkening welding helmets that darken when exposed to uv light except the noise cancelling ear protectors let you hear human voices but won't let harmful noises though.

L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

if your whse is that loud call OHSA and they will probably have everyone wearing hearing protection.

And if OSHA is a captive regulatory agency your boss will know who turned him in before you are even off the phone.

If the bugs are out of active noise canceling technology by now, that sounds like a good bet. If several models are available I'd pick the one with the highest patent numbers listed on the housing.
    Another option would be protective earmuffs and wearing earbuds underneath connected to a close-range mic that your super talks into.

Probably your hearing is priceless but it would be interesting to see how much juries award workers who suffer work-related hearing loss.
    Last edited by ?tahW; 04-29-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Under the Americans with Disabilities Act you have to be provided with whatever it takes to do your job safely and causes you no harm. If that means noise cancelling ear muffs with speakers so your boss can talk to you, so be it. If they fire you and you can prove it was because of your hearing loss, I would hate to guess how much you would receive. If you work in a noisy warehouse and they don't provide you with adequate hearing protection, all they need is one sound study by OSHA and I hope they have enough money to cover all the lawsuits that would follow.

L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Agil View Post
    Answer for the original question: Cochlear hairs do not regenerate when they die.
    That's not quite correct. It's more accurate to say that due to certain genetic expressions, the body is inhibited from regrowing the cochlear hairs. The capability is still there in the genome.

MG

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGhost View Post
    That's not quite correct. It's more accurate to say that due to certain genetic expressions, the body is inhibited from regrowing the cochlear hairs. The capability is still there in the genome.

MG
    An technically we could 'program' cells to make us grow younger too, but that's not been sorted yet either.

Fundamentally we are all race-cars designed to go a certain distance, during the 'race' bits break and fall apart. Some bits aren't essential to keep driving, others are.

Or if we're into the philosophy of it, George: the barber next-door has a set of manual clippers, which give a better cut than the electric ones used by all the other staff there. He said he's had them thirty five years, the same set: only in that time they have had four new combs, three new blades, a new chassis and a new handle....
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by eyesgreendeaf View Post
    My loss was 60 db at 14 . I am 36 now and my loss is 88-90 db.
    (90-60)/(36-14) = 1.4 dB/yr. Anybody know if this is high/low/medium for an industrialized society? And I guess it's freq. dependent.