Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why SNHL is progressive?

Quote Originally Posted by ?tahW View Post
    (90-60)/(36-14) = 1.4 dB/yr. Anybody know if this is high/low/medium for an industrialized society? And I guess it's freq. dependent.
    It's also dependent on congenital factors. Some people have resilient hair cells in their cochlear, some don't. Sensorineural loss will vary enormously amongst those with those the same level of sound exposure.

Under the exposure of loud noise, the small connecting pads that connect the end of nerve fibres to the inner hair cells swell. Over time these pads shrink, in some people they will disintegrate more readily and the attached neurone will disappear. This may not initially be obvious from early hearing tests as other neurones attached to the cell will persist in providing the signal. Repeated exposure will destroy the function and leave the 4kHz notch in you hearing.

All I can say is: don't join the 'Drum-Line'.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have bilateral, sensorineural hearing loss. For the longest time, I was moderate to severely impaired in both ears, now it's 55 db in the left and 66 db in the right...It frightens me that it can get worse because I'm only 44. (I've worn hearing aids since the age of five.) All I can say is hang in there. There are improvements being made every day to hearing aids so don't lose hope or get discouraged.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Agil View Post
    Sadly, that is not true, because products are available to help men regrow their hair.
    Nothing to help women that are balding I've noticed. For a while I thought I was losing my hair but fortuntely that proved not to be the case. If it was though I'd be up the creek without a paddle.

Laura
    Last edited by Lau2046; 10-27-2012 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ?tahW View Post
    I've heard that people who live in mountains have perfect hearing into their 90s.
    Oh, if only that were true!
    --250-500-1K--2K--4K--8K
    L--40--35--35--40--55--50
    R--20--30--45--75--65--65

Phonak Audeo 312T

Bet you'll never guess what my tinnitus sounds like!

Quote Originally Posted by Crickets View Post
    Oh, if only that were true!
    And I know people who live at sea level who also have perfect hearing. It's not the place you live, but your genes and luck of the draw as to if you will lose your hearing. My hearing loss began when I was four and got measles and mumps in less than one month and it has slowly progressed since. I do everything possible to protect what I have left and that's about all you can do.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

6. Default

I am new here but just wanted to say that after reading this entire thread it really scares me that I am only 48 and I can already tell my hearing has gotten quite a bit worse since I first started wearing hearing aids 6 years ago. At that time I had mild to moderate loss. I am going to need new aids soon and I am actually scared to see what my next audiogram will be. I am so scared of losing all my hearing and not being able to hear my grandchildren someday. Grandchildren that I don't even have yet but I so want to be able to talk and listen to them when they do come along. Has anyone tried anything that has helped their hearing loss from getting worse? Sometimes I feel so stupid now because I constantly have to say huh with the aids. Sometimes I wish I never started wearing them. Seems like my hearing has gotten worse quicker since I started wearing them. I do know that before I got them I could at least carry on a conversation and hear the tv; it just needed to be turned up. Now I have trouble understanding a lot of the words. I didn't have that problem before. Why is that? Does anyone know?

Starkey destiny 1600
    250 500 1000 2000 4000 6000
    L- 25 35 35 45 40 50
    R- 30 35 35 45 65 55

SRT R-35/L-35
    DISCRIM R-88%/L-92%
    MCL-65dB

Quote Originally Posted by momof2+dog View Post
    I am new here but just wanted to say that after reading this entire thread it really scares me that I am only 48 and I can already tell my hearing has gotten quite a bit worse since I first started wearing hearing aids 6 years ago. At that time I had mild to moderate loss. I am going to need new aids soon and I am actually scared to see what my next audiogram will be. I am so scared of losing all my hearing and not being able to hear my grandchildren someday. Grandchildren that I don't even have yet but I so want to be able to talk and listen to them when they do come along. Has anyone tried anything that has helped their hearing loss from getting worse? Sometimes I feel so stupid now because I constantly have to say huh with the aids. Sometimes I wish I never started wearing them. Seems like my hearing has gotten worse quicker since I started wearing them. I do know that before I got them I could at least carry on a conversation and hear the tv; it just needed to be turned up. Now I have trouble understanding a lot of the words. I didn't have that problem before. Why is that? Does anyone know?

Starkey destiny 1600
    L- 25 35 35 45 40 50
    R- 30 35 35 45 65 55

SRT R-35/L-35
    DISCRIM R-88%/L-92%
    MCL-65dB

It might be that your HA's are getting tired after 6 years and that is why you aren't hearing as well as you used to. It could also be that they just need to be cleaned and serviced. Make an appointment for a hearing test, it might not be as bad as you think it is going to be. My sister's just replaced her 5/6 year old HA's this past week and she is hearing much better with the new aids, her audiogram hadn't changed that much over the years but the HA's performance had.

L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Starkey destiny 1600
    L- 25 35 35 45 40 50
    R- 30 35 35 45 65 55

SRT R-35/L-35
    DISCRIM R-88%/L-92%
    MCL-65dB
    The degeneration isn't caused by the aids, it's caused by the shape of your loss passing thresholds in terms of what is called Articulation Index - the amount of sound at different pitches you need to differentiate speech. A relatively small change in your hearing level may cause your AI to drop a significant %. This will make speech harder to understand unaided especially in background noise.

- - - Updated - - -

Starkey destiny 1600
    L- 25 35 35 45 40 50
    R- 30 35 35 45 65 55

SRT R-35/L-35
    DISCRIM R-88%/L-92%
    MCL-65dB
    The degeneration isn't caused by the aids, it's caused by the shape of your loss passing thresholds in terms of what is called Articulation Index - the amount of sound at different pitches you need to differentiate speech. A relatively small change in your hearing level may cause your AI to drop a significant %. This will make speech harder to understand unaided especially in background noise.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content

9. Default

Yes, I do plan to have a new hearing test done but I have to find somewhere to go because I am not going to buy anymore hearing aids from the place I got the last ones. I don't feel like the service was good at all. Once I got them and they did a few adjustments she was pretty much done with me even though they have never been right especially the right one. After the first year all she wanted to do was sell me new ones. Keeps telling me mine are 4 generations behind but she never told me that hearing aids only lasted a few years and then I would be out 5 or 6 thousand dollars again plus $500 a year warranty for service. It's crazy how much they cost. I do take really good care of them. I know how precious they are so I clean them really well and take them in to be cleaned and/or adjusted as needed but every time I go in she has no interest now in helping me. Just talks about new ones so I know when I do get new ones they won't be from her.
    I am shopping around right now for somewhere else to go but I only know two other people that wear aids and they both go to different places. We don't have a Costco anywhere near us so only options are private dispensers. Where I was going took me half a day every time I had to go so I miss a lot of work like that. Gotta find somewhere closer but also want to find someone who really wants to help me and doesn't just want my money. That's one reason I got on this forum was for some advice about aids and what kinds are best for my hearing loss. Right not I wear Starkey Destiny 1600 CIC which my dispenser told me were perfect for me and were the best and would last a very long time. That's not what she's saying now. I am just so fed up with it all but I have to have them.
    The first time I had to pay $6000 for a pair my husband was ok that's what you need lets get them but now only a few years later and I need to do that again he's like we can't afford to keep doing this but what options do I have. I want and need to hear. It all just makes me so sad and kind of depressed. How do you all deal with it? Everyday is a struggle just to hear and that is with the aids in. Not wearing them is not an option anymore cause I can't hear anything without them now. Well, I can hear some just not very well.

Starkey destiny 1600
    L- 25 35 35 45 40 50
    R- 30 35 35 45 65 55

SRT R-35/L-35
    DISCRIM R-88%/L-92%
    MCL-65dB

I feel like my hearing aid dispenser flat out lied to me just to sell me what was her most expensive aids at the time because my husband and I were both totally stupid about it all and were in shock so we just believed what we were told but even now after reading and researching I am still so confused on how they work and what gain and everything really means. Everytine I go in she just says oh, you need more gain and I'm not sure that is what I need. I just totally don't trust her or anything she says because I know she wants to sell me new aids and that's all she wants from me

Yes, I do plan to have a new hearing test done but I have to find somewhere to go because I am not going to buy anymore hearing aids from the place I got the last ones. I don't feel like the service was good at all. Once I got them and they did a few adjustments she was pretty much done with me even though they have never been right especially the right one. After the first year all she wanted to do was sell me new ones. Keeps telling me mine are 4 generations behind but she never told me that hearing aids only lasted a few years and then I would be out 5 or 6 thousand dollars again plus $500 a year warranty for service. It's crazy how much they cost. I do take really good care of them. I know how precious they are so I clean them really well and take them in to be cleaned and/or adjusted as needed but every time I go in she has no interest now in helping me. Just talks about new ones so I know when I do get new ones they won't be from her.
    I am shopping around right now for somewhere else to go but I only know two other people that wear aids and they both go to different places. We don't have a Costco anywhere near us so only options are private dispensers. Where I was going took me half a day every time I had to go so I miss a lot of work like that. Gotta find somewhere closer but also want to find someone who really wants to help me and doesn't just want my money. That's one reason I got on this forum was for some advice about aids and what kinds are best for my hearing loss. Right not I wear Starkey Destiny 1600 CIC which my dispenser told me were perfect for me and were the best and would last a very long time. That's not what she's saying now. I am just so fed up with it all but I have to have them.
    The first time I had to pay $6000 for a pair my husband was ok that's what you need lets get them but now only a few years later and I need to do that again he's like we can't afford to keep doing this but what options do I have. I want and need to hear. It all just makes me so sad and kind of depressed. How do you all deal with it? Everyday is a struggle just to hear and that is with the aids in. Not wearing them is not an option anymore cause I can't hear anything without them now. Well, I can hear some just not very well.

Starkey destiny 1600
    L- 25 35 35 45 40 50
    R- 30 35 35 45 65 55

SRT R-35/L-35
    DISCRIM R-88%/L-92%
    MCL-65dB

I feel like my hearing aid dispenser flat out lied to me just to sell me what was her most expensive aids at the time because my husband and I were both totally stupid about it all and were in shock so we just believed what we were told but even now after reading and researching I am still so confused on how they work and what gain and everything really means. Everytine I go in she just says oh, you need more gain and I'm not sure that is what I need. I just totally don't trust her or anything she says because I know she wants to sell me new aids and that's all she wants from me
    You went to the equivalent of the used car salesmen of audiologist, they sell you the most expensive HA's they have, don't want to help you out once they have sold them to you and only want to sell you new HA's once a year or two has passed. Another problem is CIC HA's have the most problems regarding break downs from moisture and wax issues, so if you want to get more
    reliability go with a BTE. Find someone else and look for someone who will give you at least three years service and at least two years warranty on the HA's and keep going in for adjustments until you are happy. You can also save yourself a lot of money by sending your aids out for service and repair yourself, places like www.DirectHearingAidServices.com will do the service for you for a lot less than your audi will charge you; All the techs used to work for Starkey before Starkey moved to Minn. Over the years many people have been on this site with the same complaint or complaints and other than filing a complaint with the state regulatory board about the audiologist there is little you can do but go elsewhere.

L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25