Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phonak Ambra MicroM

1. Question Phonak Ambra MicroM

My audiogram:
    l 125 -25 / 250 - 35 / 500 - 40 / 1 K - 40 / 2 K - 50 / 4 K - 50 / 8 K - 5 / - 5
    R 125 -10 / 250 -25 / 500 - 40 / 1 K - 45 / 2 K - 50 / 4 K - 45 / 8 K - 5 / - 5

After the Phonak Exelia Art and Widex Clear440 I am currently trying out the Phonak Ambra MicroM with adjusted custom molds. I rather prefer open fit, but the audi explained that I could have problems with leaking sounds and feedback.

As posted in another topic my audi is still finding his way with the Target program and even the possibilities of the aids. A week ago I asked him to restore the August 24 settings, as the three adjustments made later on, just made things worse. At home I soon came to the conclusion that the HA still doesn't perform the way they were programmed on the 24th of August, especially with (classical) music.

Is this possible? Is their a specific way to adjust the Phonak Ambra MicroM to a previous session that perhaps the audi overlooked (cf. wiping out the latest settings)?

I called my audi, but he doesn't believe me and concluded that (1) my hearing is unstable and (2) he isn't willing to make further adjustiments for this reason

The high tones tones being far to uncomfartable (too sharp), should the soundrecover be put on? But will music not get distorted by this?

I become discouraged and wonder if it wouln't be better to continu without HA...

Quote Originally Posted by Gittje View Post
    My audiogram:
    l 125 -25 / 250 - 35 / 500 - 40 / 1 K - 40 / 2 K - 50 / 4 K - 50 / 8 K - 5 / - 5
    R 125 -10 / 250 -25 / 500 - 40 / 1 K - 45 / 2 K - 50 / 4 K - 45 / 8 K - 5 / - 5

After the Phonak Exelia Art and Widex Clear440 I am currently trying out the Phonak Ambra MicroM with adjusted custom molds. I rather prefer open fit, but the audi explained that I could have problems with leaking sounds and feedback.

As posted in another topic my audi is still finding his way with the Target program and even the possibilities of the aids. A week ago I asked him to restore the August 24 settings, as the three adjustments made later on, just made things worse. At home I soon came to the conclusion that the HA still doesn't perform the way they were programmed on the 24th of August, especially with (classical) music.

Is this possible? Is their a specific way to adjust the Phonak Ambra MicroM to a previous session that perhaps the audi overlooked (cf. wiping out the latest settings)?

I called my audi, but he doesn't believe me and concluded that (1) my hearing is unstable and (2) he isn't willing to make further adjustiments for this reason

The high tones tones being far to uncomfartable (too sharp), should the soundrecover be put on? But will music not get distorted by this?

I become discouraged and wonder if it wouln't be better to continu without HA...
    In Target, unless the audiologist specifically told the software to forget its prescription and the fine changes made, it won't revert to the initial fit: even if the 're-calculate' button is pushed. I specifically queried this with the rep a couple of months back, as I was struggling to get an aid to revert to it's initial fit setting.

Soundrecover is not designed for a wide cookie-bite loss like yours: it will pull sounds from the good part of your hearing and put them into a part where you have less sensitivity.

I'm a bit concerned you are being fitted with a custom tip, especially when you have very little loss in the low tones. IMHO, it would make much more sense to open-fit this aid (as designed) and only provide amplification as needed. The MicroM will comfortably fit 60-70dB losses with the closed standard domes - 40-50dB is within the remit of the open ones. It's also essential that the correct coupling (dome/tube/fit) is selected and the feedback manager run FIRST, before any changes are made to the fitting. The aid models its output at this stage: failure to do this just makes a mess of the fitting.
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

3. Default

I have lost confidence in my audi. He doesn't like the fact that I am gathering information on the internet. But it is my reaction to the fact that it takes him so long to get the aids correctly adjusted. He didn't even know that the Ambra's had 5 extra programs next to the automatic mode and that the acoustic phone (duophone) isn't included in the automatic mode.

Next week I have to decide if I buy the aids or not. As I feel know, I doubt if I will do it as he told me he isn't willing to make any further adjustments.

This morning I went to another audiologist who works with GN Resound, Siemens and Phonak. As I want a music program, she told me that only the premium aids are to consider. Can anyone tell which aids are better for music : Resound Alera or Phonak Ambra?
    Last edited by Gittje; 10-22-2011 at 03:34 AM.

About premium aids, its true that in let say Phonak Smart S premium IX aid have in Soundflow automatic music program. That mean it will automaticaly detect music and switch to it. But it doesnt prevent you for add manual separate Music program from soundflow so you can buy cheaper one (Smart S V) and still have music program. Just not automatic switching one.
    0150.HZ L-15 R-35
    0250.HZ L-25 R-35
    0500.HZ L-55 R-45
    0750.HZ L-60 R-70
    1000.HZ L-60 R-75
    1500.HZ L-80 R-N/M
    2000.HZ L-85 R-85
    3000.HZ L-N R-N
    4000.HZ L-90 R-80
    6000.HZ L-90 R-100
    8000.HZ L-80 R-/

(n=not meassured)

Quote Originally Posted by Gittje View Post
    I have lost confidence in my audi. He doesn't like the fact that I am gathering information on the internet. But I is my reaction to the fact that it takes him so long to get the aids correctly adjusted. He didn't even know that the Ambra's had 5 extra programs next to the automatic mode and that the acoustic phone (duophone) isn't included in the automatic mode.

Next week I have to decide if I buy the aids or not. As I feel know, I doubt if I will do it as he told me he isn't willing to make any further adjustments.

This morning I went to another audiologist who works with GN Resound, Siemens and Phonak. As I want a music program, she told me that only the premium aids are to consider. Can anyone tell which aids are better for music : Resound Alera or Phonak Ambra?
    If it was me I would definitely return the aids to the audi who refuses to adjust them.

I can't compare Resound to Phonak as I have never used Phonak, but I can tell you music sounds pretty darn good with my Resound Future (Alera). Music sounds fine on the general program but I also have a music program that seems to have slightly more highs and instruments like the piano sound very good, natural, and "right".

Freq . Left . Right . . . Word Recognition Details and Equipment
    250 . 25 . 20
    500 . 20 . 25 . . . . . . SRT L/R = 60/55 , WRS @ 105 L/R = 80/84%
    1000 . 30 . 40 . . . . . Resound Future from Costco (April 2011)
    1500 . 50 . 55 . . . . . Phone Clip+ (May 2013).
    2000 . 50 . 65
    3000 . 70 . 85
    4000 . 85 . 95
    6000 . 90 . 95
    8000 . 75 . 85

I too would return the aids and go elsewhere. Keep looking until you find someone you feel you can work with. The worst customer for anyone trying to sell something is an educated customer.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    The worst customer for anyone trying to sell something is an educated customer.
    Indeed, and I presume my audi is thinking the same

DocAudio Guest

I would also return any product where good customer service is key to success when the professional refuses to service the customer. I don't care how frustrated you are working with a patient...they are the ones that just laid out money for the professional to help them and it is not their place to refuse service.

I have fit Phonak and ReSound (although very recently resound and much longer Phonak) and find that they both have good qualities. I think the Phonak hearing aids are far more aggressive at hearing soft sounds and for this reason, works great with a lot of people...however, for the same reason some people just don't like it. I've had about equal success with the Phonak Smart IX/Ambras and Alera 9's that I've fit (except for the remote mic models- patients are not as thrilled with those - prefer the open fits) so far. I do like the stereozoom feature of the Smart IX's/Ambras though...but the ReSound software has more flexibility it seems - but that's from my end and wouldn't be something the user might notice.
    Last edited by DocAudio; 10-18-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: forgot an important word

Default Ditch & Run

Gittje:

Your Audi must not need clients! Return them and good riddance. If that's the full audio gram that was provided to you then I'm sorry to say - with a jump from 45 to 5 from 4k to 8k I would think a bit more due diligence should have been applied for the ranges in between for a better fit all together. Same across the board really.

As for Phonak Ambra M - In my ears as we speak. Just changed batteries!
    I have power domes or maybe they are the standard closed domes?. I want to get/try one though. I heard that custom molds provide a better fit and sound quality. I'd like to know if there's truth to that? Anyone?
    Point is, I do not NEED a custom molds so you should be okay to try them.

Anyway, I am thinking you should try the aid with the Sound Recover turned off -
    Some people just do not like it.

Yours
    ..250..500..1k..2k..3k..4k.8k
    R 25....40..45..50..65..45..5
    L 35....40..40..50..65..50..5

Mine
    ..250..500..1k..2k...3k..4k..6k..8k
    R 40....40..55..65..65..65..65..65
    L 30....35..50..55..65..65..65..65
    ..250..500..1k..2k...3k..4k..6k..8k
    R 40....40..55..65..65..65..65..65
    L 30....35..50..55..65..65..65..65

Phonak Ambra MicroM
    iCom w/ TV-Link
    Pilot One Remote

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewJones View Post
    Anyway, I am thinking you should try the aid with the Sound Recover turned off -
    Some people just do not like it.
    I tryed if off in separate music channel. Funny thing is music sound better in auto. And my SR begin in 2,5 khz...
    softer normal "s" is unreachable in any way. I only heard it properly with epoq xw bte thick tube with soft molds...
    Must be off limit in ric especially with closed domes.
    0150.HZ L-15 R-35
    0250.HZ L-25 R-35
    0500.HZ L-55 R-45
    0750.HZ L-60 R-70
    1000.HZ L-60 R-75
    1500.HZ L-80 R-N/M
    2000.HZ L-85 R-85
    3000.HZ L-N R-N
    4000.HZ L-90 R-80
    6000.HZ L-90 R-100
    8000.HZ L-80 R-/

(n=not meassured)