Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starkey : Does Spectral IQ work?

1. Default Starkey : Does Spectral IQ work?

Hi,

Has anyone tried the new Spectral IQ frequency shifter feature from Starkey?

Does it work well?

Thanks.
    My professional details can be found in the 'Hidden Content ' section of the forum

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by EnglishDispenser View Post
    Hi,

Has anyone tried the new Spectral IQ frequency shifter feature from Starkey?

Does it work well?

Thanks.
    I've tried it from a fitters point of view.

First off, it's a very complicated candidacy process. But thankfully the software evaluates if the program should be used or not and indicates as such upon fitting.

The hearing professional has two controls, the range of frequencies to be copied and pasted (so to speak) and the volume of the transposed sound versus the rest of the amplification.

Again Inspire 2012 determines these two variables based on a formula. The hearing professional has substantial adjustment over both variables and of course can switch the feature on or off at will

So when I am doing an initial demo, because I am aware that this is such a new and unique program I have been asking patients (without telling them about the feature or what I am doing) to listen to my voice, then I tell them I am going to change a setting and ask them if they prefer my voice in this new setting (which is me turning the feature off).

In my fairly non-scientific study, I'd say that 25% of candidates prefer the sound. 25% find no difference in the sound. 50% prefer the system turned off.

Now on the surface, this may seem like a rejection of the system, but remember this is introducing an unnatural sounding concept, which will take longer to get used to. Starkey have done a bunch of scientific tests with word discrim and the S test, and they found an improvement in speech understanding, but a massive leap in S test scores.

So it would seem that while many patients initially are not head over heals about the way it sounds, I suspect that with the right candidates they will in the longer term hear and understand language better, even if initially it might sound a bit unusual.

Bottom line, it is an awesome tool to have available to switch on or off at will. If you are dealing with a patient with severe high tone loss, this can make all the difference in the world.

I also applaud Starkey for adding this feature and giving existing patients free access to it (assuming the technology they own is capable of providing this) without charging them for an upgrade or making them buy some new aid or other item to get it.

3. Default

I got the impression that this is NOT a true unintelligent frequency shifter.

It seems to be more of an 'intelligent' speech fragment recogniser which then injects some sort of acoustic signal at a lower frequency.

So an 'sss' might be heard as a 'bip' or ' bop' or 'dak' or whatever the sound cue Starkey may have invented for the 'sss' sound.

A high frequency whine at the 'sss' frequency range would cause NO sound cue to be generated because the 'sss' recogniser would not be triggered.

Is that the way it works?
    My professional details can be found in the 'Hidden Content ' section of the forum

So an 'sss' might be heard as a 'bip' or ' bop' or 'dak' or whatever the sound cue Starkey may have invented for the 'sss' sound.

I think soundrecover is the best as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZCT View Post
    I've tried it from a fitters point of view.

First off, it's a very complicated candidacy process. But thankfully the software evaluates if the program should be used or not and indicates as such upon fitting.

The hearing professional has two controls, the range of frequencies to be copied and pasted (so to speak) and the volume of the transposed sound versus the rest of the amplification.

Again Inspire 2012 determines these two variables based on a formula. The hearing professional has substantial adjustment over both variables and of course can switch the feature on or off at will

So when I am doing an initial demo, because I am aware that this is such a new and unique program I have been asking patients (without telling them about the feature or what I am doing) to listen to my voice, then I tell them I am going to change a setting and ask them if they prefer my voice in this new setting (which is me turning the feature off).

In my fairly non-scientific study, I'd say that 25% of candidates prefer the sound. 25% find no difference in the sound. 50% prefer the system turned off.

Now on the surface, this may seem like a rejection of the system, but remember this is introducing an unnatural sounding concept, which will take longer to get used to. Starkey have done a bunch of scientific tests with word discrim and the S test, and they found an improvement in speech understanding, but a massive leap in S test scores.

So it would seem that while many patients initially are not head over heals about the way it sounds, I suspect that with the right candidates they will in the longer term hear and understand language better, even if initially it might sound a bit unusual.

Bottom line, it is an awesome tool to have available to switch on or off at will. If you are dealing with a patient with severe high tone loss, this can make all the difference in the world.

I also applaud Starkey for adding this feature and giving existing patients free access to it (assuming the technology they own is capable of providing this) without charging them for an upgrade or making them buy some new aid or other item to get it.
    I'm leaning toward the IQ series but still looking and a lot I don't understand. Next week I have an appointment with a Starkey recommended audi. I want decent hearing without breaking the bank. Any suggestions. Thanks
    Last edited by pooch; 11-03-2011 at 10:34 AM. Reason: misspelling
    -------Rt---Lt
    250---40---40
    500---50---55
    750---45---45
    1000--45---45
    1500--65---55
    2000--70---65
    3000--70---70
    4000--75---65
    6000--80---80
    8000--85---85

Default Zct

Can the Spectral IQ be set up as a mode so that the user can turn it on or off ?
    Last edited by DFPope; 11-03-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Typo
    1000........-30...........-5
    2000........-70...........-50
    3000.......-105..........-70
    4000.......-110..........-70
    8000.......-105..........-65

Yes, the spectral iq can be set up to be turned off by copying MM1 (for instance) and creating a MM2 with same settings, but the the spectral iq in the off position. OR, if the client has a remote, they can use their star button to turn the spectral iq on.

Quote Originally Posted by pooch View Post
    I'm leaning toward the IQ series but still looking and a lot I don't understand. Next week I have an appointment with a Starkey recommended audi. I want decent hearing without breaking the bank. Any suggestions. Thanks
    Your local Costco.

Freq . Left . Right . . . Word Recognition Details and Equipment
    250 . 25 . 20
    500 . 20 . 25 . . . . . . SRT L/R = 60/55 , WRS @ 105 L/R = 80/84%
    1000 . 30 . 40 . . . . . Resound Future from Costco (April 2011)
    1500 . 50 . 55 . . . . . Phone Clip+ (May 2013).
    2000 . 50 . 65
    3000 . 70 . 85
    4000 . 85 . 95
    6000 . 90 . 95
    8000 . 75 . 85

I just had mine fitted last night... Heard a bunch of sounds that I missed with my old aids. I did an AB comparision and the wi definitely helps me hear a LOT better. I initially wanted oticon but my audiologist suggested wi due to my high frequency loss.

10. Default

I have extensive experience with Starkey's Spectral iQ, but on only one patient - ME!

My experience is that is a great feature and it definitely works wonders. I have tried a couple of others with bad results, but they were adjusted by the audi and not by me. I've tried Widex and Phonak.

But, IMO, there is a problem facing any audiologist fitting this feature. Communication with the patient is critical. Well, I guess it's always critical, but when fitting this particular feature even more so. For example, in my case, the recommended setting from the latest Inspire software is minimum Spectral iQ bandwidth and minimum Spectral iQ gain. With this setting, the bandwidth used in my hearing range is from 2KHz to 3KHz and the range where I need help is 3KHz and above. This is the minimum setting for the feature. The problem is, I can easily hear its affect on female voices and I don't like it. However, when I experiment (a LOT) I find a setting of extending the bandwidth to the middle setting (which uses 1.5kHz to 3kHz) and setting the gain a couple of notches above minimum, gives me a setting which is still effective in allowing me to hear leaves and birds outside and the critical endings of words - with almost no indication that it is turned on. With this setting, I have chosen to leave it on for all my memory programs. With the initial recommended minimum settings, I only left it on for the outdoors program.

I use the Starkey Surround Town feature in the restaurant simulation mode to validate the setting, and place myself at the table at the front right and listen to the female voices at that table to judge what the best fit is for me.

So, I think the feature is terrific when adjusted optimally for the patient. However, I think this will be a very difficult assignment for the audiologist to determine the optimim setting for each patient. I think Starkey (and the others using a similar feature) needs to do a LOT of training in how to properly fit this feature. Otherwise, I think it will be rejected by many where it could do them a lot of good if it were properly adjusted.

All this is just my opinion, of course. ZCT, as you fit Starkey every day, I would be interested in how you do a proper fitting of this feature.

Bob
    Starkey Series 3 i110's and Wi i110's

Freq L R
    250 25 25
    500 30 30
    1K 45 40
    2K 55 45
    3K 60 50
    4K 75 60
    6K 80 75
    8K 80 70