Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for BTE profound loss aids

1. Default Suggestions for BTE profound loss aids

Need reccomendations for good quality BTE aids for severe to profound. Just got the Oticon Chili 7, and VERY disappointed in them. Music sounds like a transistor radio I listened to 50 years ago! Need to trade them in for another aid that has power plus excellent sound quality. And not too expensive. Am I asking for too much?
    THanks for any help!

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by peter bachman View Post
    Need reccomendations for good quality BTE aids for severe to profound. Just got the Oticon Chili 7, and VERY disappointed in them. Music sounds like a transistor radio I listened to 50 years ago! Need to trade them in for another aid that has power plus excellent sound quality. And not too expensive. Am I asking for too much?
    THanks for any help!
    Starkey just launched their very impressive power plus. It combines the best in class feedback suppression, with a monster gain of 80dB. It has a very clean and natural sound, and plenty of power.

http://starkeypro.com/public/profess...r-plus-bte.jsp

They offer it in three flavors, which is basically their best and most expensive technology, the next one down, and the one below that. The build quality is the same on all, and they look the same, but as you step down to the lower priced units you lose some channels and some features. The entry level one has 8 channels, the next has 12, the top has 16. As you step up in price, you get better speech hearing in noise.

I have met some pretty severe cases since I got a test set of these, and even with soft foam disposable tips the sound quality was amazing.

I really do believe this is the best power aid out there at this time.

THanks for any help!
    You might just need some adjustments and time for your brain to get used to the new sounds.

The resound Alera (Future at Costco) has good music sound but at first I thought they sounded tinny or electronic. Now they sound great.

Freq . Left . Right . . . Word Recognition Details and Equipment
    250 . 25 . 20
    500 . 20 . 25 . . . . . . SRT L/R = 60/55 , WRS @ 105 L/R = 80/84%
    1000 . 30 . 40 . . . . . Resound Future from Costco (April 2011)
    1500 . 50 . 55 . . . . . Phone Clip+ (May 2013).
    2000 . 50 . 65
    3000 . 70 . 85
    4000 . 85 . 95
    6000 . 90 . 95
    8000 . 75 . 85

THanks for any help!
    Try Phonak naida aids if you have speech discrimination problems or very high high frequency loss.

Peter,
    Did your Audi set up your Chili 7's with a music program? My standard program makes music sound flat but if I change to the music program it adds more bass and the music sounds much better. Good luck.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Default Hearing aid for a 120 dB hearing loss

Hi all!
    There are someone on this forum that were able to talk me about a good,no noise,no feedback,quality sound hearing aid for a 120 dB hearing loss sufferer?
    Thank you in advance!
    Marco

7. Default

I've recently tried the Widex Real RE 19s, Siemens Nitro 300s and Phonak Naida UP 3s for the profound loss in my right ear. I think the Phonak were the best, but what I heard wasn't really a set of distinct sounds, but rather a feeling, a buzzing in the side of my head where sounds would be. I certainly couldn't hear voices or words, just an occasional buzz buzz. Is there any point to spending thousands and wearing a huge device on my ear if that's all I'm going to get? Is my loss just unaidable? For those of you who have profound losses, what do you gain from your hearing aids? Thanks for your advice.
    Hz...125...250...500...1000...2000...4000...8000
    L.....45.....55....55.....60......60......55...... 75
    R.....70.....85....90.....100......95......110.... ..100

Siemens Life 700's

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rashkolnikov View Post
    I've recently tried the Widex Real RE 19s, Siemens Nitro 300s and Phonak Naida UP 3s for the profound loss in my right ear. I think the Phonak were the best, but what I heard wasn't really a set of distinct sounds, but rather a feeling, a buzzing in the side of my head where sounds would be. I certainly couldn't hear voices or words, just an occasional buzz buzz. Is there any point to spending thousands and wearing a huge device on my ear if that's all I'm going to get? Is my loss just unaidable? For those of you who have profound losses, what do you gain from your hearing aids? Thanks for your advice.
    @rashkolnikov, I am wearing Naida V UP on my left ear and I would say that it can substantially help me in understanding speech in quiet environment considering that I have a greater hearing loss than yours. Maybe you need to ask your audi for fine tuning so you can maximize you Naida HTH
    L-------Freq---------R
    75-----0250.Hz-----45
    75-----0500.Hz-----45
    85-----0750.Hz-----60
    95-----1000.Hz-----70
    115----1500.Hz-----90
    115----2000.Hz-----115
    NR-----4000.Hz-----115
    NR-----6000.Hz-----NR
    NR-----8000.Hz-----NR

DocAudio Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rashkolnikov View Post
    What are your speech discrimination scores off your audiogram? For patients, regardless of severity of loss, who have little to no speech understanding there isn't much to justify a hearing aid over on that side unless the patient just wants it for balanced sound. Sometimes aiding someone with two hearing aids, even though one ear doesn't have much/any speech understanding, provides some additional input that the brain is able to make sense of and it improves their ability to understand speech.

If you have a profound loss and hearing aids are little-no benefit, it's time to start looking at a Cochlear Implant.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DocAudio View Post
    What are your speech discrimination scores off your audiogram? For patients, regardless of severity of loss, who have little to no speech understanding there isn't much to justify a hearing aid over on that side unless the patient just wants it for balanced sound. Sometimes aiding someone with two hearing aids, even though one ear doesn't have much/any speech understanding, provides some additional input that the brain is able to make sense of and it improves their ability to understand speech.

If you have a profound loss and hearing aids are little-no benefit, it's time to start looking at a Cochlear Implant.
    @docaudio, i agree with you it does provide some balance and important cues in understanding speech compared to not wearing one at all.
    L-------Freq---------R
    75-----0250.Hz-----45
    75-----0500.Hz-----45
    85-----0750.Hz-----60
    95-----1000.Hz-----70
    115----1500.Hz-----90
    115----2000.Hz-----115
    NR-----4000.Hz-----115
    NR-----6000.Hz-----NR
    NR-----8000.Hz-----NR