Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Basic Causes Of Sudden Hearing Loss

1. Default Some Basic Causes Of Sudden Hearing Loss

It is not just a frustrating situations or condition but think of how you never thought of a time when you could lose you hearing capabilities, that you cannot hear what your loved ones or friends would be telling you and moreover it would become even harder to participate in the normal conversations you used to have either at home with your family members or may be at your local pub with your friends. Some of these things might appear to be unreal but the fact of the matter is that the problem of sudden hearing loss is real, present and becoming very common in the current age. But for the sake of somebody who might not know completely what the losing your hearing capacity suddenly entails, sudden hearing loss is as the term implies the sudden loss of hearing ability.

This particularly apparent with the current iPod generation, who seemed to wear these things in their ears all the time and then going to loud nightclubs, bars and pubs, after a while that ringing in your ears is telling you that your hearing threshold has changed, over time you will either get tinnitus or hearing loss.

Watch the film "It's all gone Pete Tong" its quite educational as well as having some dark comedy moments then self discovery, an inspirational film is some ways.
    ....250..... 500 .... 1k ..... 2k.... 4k ...... 8k

.....80 ...... 95. .... 105.....90.....85...... 100...... RIGHT EAR

.....80.......100......115.....115...120......120+ ..... LEFT EAR

The known causes of SSHL are:-
    • Infectious diseases.
    • Trauma, such as a head injury.
    • Abnormal tissue growth.
    • Immunologic diseases such as Cogan’s syndrome.
    • Toxic causes, such as snake bites.
    • Ototoxic drugs (drugs that harm the ear).
    • Circulatory problems.
    • Neurologic causes such as multiple sclerosis.
    • Relation to disorders such as Ménière’s disease.

Default noise induced hearing loss

You can experience early hearing loss suddenly due to loud noises that you are not protecting yourself from. This could be in the workplace or due to loud music.
    You should not subject yourself to noise over 80 decibels without protection for your ears.
    Your employer has to provide protection if you are in an environment that there are noises of this magnitude. If they don't they are breaking the law.

Quote Originally Posted by AtriumLegal View Post
    You can experience early hearing loss suddenly due to loud noises that you are not protecting yourself from. This could be in the workplace or due to loud music.
    You should not subject yourself to noise over 80 decibels without protection for your ears.
    Your employer has to provide protection if you are in an environment that there are noises of this magnitude. If they don't they are breaking the law.
    Sudden loss caused by noise exposure - what kind of levels are you referring to? Blast trauma?

Most noise related losses aren't sudden at all, they are the effect of long term damage.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

certain guns if fired right next to the ear can cause sudden loss in that frequency range. Unless of course it blows your drum from over pressure.

Here i found this helpful http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

125db is where the pain begins definitely want to get away fast as possible at this level.
    180db is the instant threshold where the tissue dies..

194db is loudest sound possible. I am not sure if this is accurate the military may have access to something louder.

I believe the IPOD is 105 db. max for severe hard of hearing that might be fine, definitely not for those with normal hearing.

Now I think I have to go look and see if someone answered my question about whether 90db would have the same damaging effect on someone with moderate to severe loss as it would have on someone with normal hearing.

I have not meet an audiologist or doctor that has actually told me the answer to that question.

Corey
    I interpret literally word for word. Hidden Content Because I miss too much without body language. I frequently miss punchline to sarcastic remarks. So stop whacking around the bush and just say it literally already.
    Freq...R/L speech reception threshold
    250 45/35 R-65db L-55db
    500 60/55
    750 65/55 phon & word rec
    1000 75/60 R-90% @ 15db SL
    1500 70/80 L-80% @ 20db SL
    2000 75/80
    3000 75/80
    4000 90/85
    6000 85/75
    8000 "no response" right ear100/80

Quote Originally Posted by AtriumLegal View Post
    This is true in certain industrial nations but is NOT true in many 2nd 3rd world and possibly china, India.

hearing protection to workers is a "human rights" issue.........

One of the reason for shipping many jobs to unregulated areas, so they don't have to pay the expense and get to pocket more profit at the expense of workers health.
    I interpret literally word for word. Hidden Content Because I miss too much without body language. I frequently miss punchline to sarcastic remarks. So stop whacking around the bush and just say it literally already.
    Freq...R/L speech reception threshold
    250 45/35 R-65db L-55db
    500 60/55
    750 65/55 phon & word rec
    1000 75/60 R-90% @ 15db SL
    1500 70/80 L-80% @ 20db SL
    2000 75/80
    3000 75/80
    4000 90/85
    6000 85/75
    8000 "no response" right ear100/80

Quote Originally Posted by corey View Post
    Now I think I have to go look and see if someone answered my question about whether 90db would have the same damaging effect on someone with moderate to severe loss as it would have on someone with normal hearing.

I have not meet an audiologist or doctor that has actually told me the answer to that question.

Corey
    Yes, even if you have hearing loss high levels of sound will affect your hearing and you should still protect yourself against their effects. You just might not notice the effects as much since you don't have as much residual hearing. Intensity of sound (remember it's in SPL not HL!) impacts the hair cells in the cochlea in the same way regardless of your hearing level...in fact I'd argue that you should be more diligent in protecting your residual hearing possibly than someone with better hearing since someone in that situation has a lot less forgiveness if hearing deteriorates further.

Jones,
    Are you volunteering to be our guinea pig? Perhaps you can wear your Ipod all day cranked up to 90db and have your hearing tested on a quarterly basis to see how fast your hearing goes away. I've know quiet a few people who have lost a good portion of their hearing to loud music and it wasn't plugged into their ears, but was done from a distance. I guess the Ipod generation will have to find out for themselves that they also aren't invincible and their will be a time when they have to pay the piper for all their excessively loud Ipod use. And yes it's to loud if the person next to you can hear the music and you have the buds in YOUR EARS!
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

10. Default

Being a bit of a techy, a few months ago I was wondering about this i phone/pod stuff so I tested the maximum sound output from a pair of standard i phone ear buds. I recorded 132 dBSPL to saturation. Now that's not saying the sound output from the i pod/ phone would be that high, just that the ear buds allowed it. There is a warning in the instructions on these music things - but who reads instructions?
    Funny old world isn't it?