Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Audiogram

Default My Audiogram

Hello

Below is my audiogram. I've got something called a moderately severe to mild reverse curve slope. Can someone explain to me what is going on here? I've been told that I have a tricky case to deal with.

I've got Phonak Ambra micro P's with a ComPilot tv-s ordered in for trial. I receive them on Thursday afternoon. Is there any recommendations as to settings, dome types. etc.

Also, the Audiologist stated that initially, they will not be setting up the bluetooth until my second appointment. Is that a normal practice?

hrz 250...500...1k...1.5k...2k...3k...4k...6k...8k
    L ....70....75....65....40....30...25...55...35...5
    R ....70....70....70....55....35...40...65...35...10

Speech Audiometry:
    SRT: L: 40 R: 45
    Word Recognition: L: 72% HL 85 R: 72% HL 85

Been reading a lot of posts trying to get a grip on things. Thanks for any help you may supply.
    Last edited by Oake; 01-03-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Oake View Post
    Hello

Below is my audiogram. I've got something called a moderately severe to mild reverse curve slope. Can someone explain to me what is going on here? I've been told that I have a tricky case to deal with.

I've got Phonak Ambra micro P's with a ComPilot tv-s ordered in for trial. I receive them on Thursday afternoon. Is there any recommendations as to settings, dome types. etc.

Also, the Audiologist stated that initially, they will not be setting up the bluetooth until my second appointment. Is that a normal practice?

Speech Audiometry:

Been reading a lot of posts trying to get a grip on things. Thanks for any help you may supply.
    The most common loss we see is a non-reverse slope loss, this is where the hearing is worse in the high pitched notes rather than low. Basically like your loss but backwards, where the 70dB losses you scored might be at 8KHz not 250Hz.

You're going to need an aid that can be well configured to the loss that you have and time will tell if the one you're getting works for you.

I'm guessing your hearing professional wishes to focus on getting you hearing properly before he gets into Bluetooth and other accessories. The goal in the first week should be to get used to normal every day sounds in the more simple situations in life. Essentially you have to train your brain to accept artificial sound combined with a hearing loss as the new 'normal.'

My suggestion to you is to learn all you can about Reverse Slope Hearing Loss. Google Dr.Neil Bauman, and there is a Facebook page called "reverse slope hearing loss". I spend several hours a day researching and trying to understand why nothing seems to help. I feel like a lone ranger. There is also a emerging science on something called "auditory neuropathy" which seems to affect people with reverse slope hearing loss. I am currenty undergoing testing for this. Some people are having success with the Oticon Agil's. You'll be hearing a lot of "you're a tough one to fit" comments from your Audi's. Good luck to you!
    My audiogram:

LEFT RIGHT
    250 60 60
    500 45 40
    1000 20 30
    1500 30 30
    2000 60 35
    3000 35 30
    4000 25 20
    7000 35 35
    8000 40 40
    Unaided discrimination @ 75db left 20%, right 64% binaural 76%, Speech in noise, single syllable 0%
    Ancora Imparo....I am still learing

Hello from a fellow reverse sloper!

Most Audiologist start off with similar process. They will not automatically give you a 100% gain (think of gain as the volume boost). The brain has to get used to regaining the hearing. They will gradually bring up the gain over several visits. I never had a problem with the gain on the lower frequency sounds, but the high pitch sounds were almost painfully piercing at first. Had to have them tweak those frequencies several times to get them comfortable. I have seen others with reverse slope post similar experiences with the higher frequencies, so be prepared.

Most of us with lower frequency losses need power domes, or even custom ear molds, to get the most benefit from the hearing aids. The lower frequency sounds can cause more feedback problems when you have open style domes. The closed domes and custom molds trap the amplified sounds in the ear canal better and eliminate the feedback. But, it also causes a stuffy feeling, called Occlusion, that many people can not stand.

My Hearing Aid Tech experimented with multiple domes over several visits, he tried Closed and Open styles. He even changed receivers a couple of times. I did not have a problem with the Occlusion that many experience, but I did have a lot of the feedback with the open domes. So I currently have Power Domes with High Gain Receivers. I have almost no feedback. I can force it to happen if I intentionally cup my hands over my ears. But the Whistlestop kicks in and stops it quickly. For me it is a good fit, but you may have a different experience with the feedback and the Occlusion. Just be willing to keep trying changes until you find a fit that is good for you.

My Tech setup my Bluetooth and Remote on the first visit. But I can see where they would not want to overwhelm a new user with too many new things. I am a Computer Geek by profession. So for me the Remote and Bluetooth Device were not any problem to assimilate and use. If they had not given them to me, I most likely would have figured out how to set them up without him! If you really want them on the first visit, ask for them. You are paying for them, so you should be able to use them!

I Googled the Phonak Ambra microP's just before clicking the submit button. Looks like those are hearing aids that use tubes instead of receivers located in the Ear. So my comment about the Power Receiver would not match your hearing aids. But you will still need a dome or mold on the end of the tube. So that will still apply.

Good Luck and post your questions here and someone will try and help you.
    My Audiogram 9/23/2010
    Hz...250..0500.1000.1500.2000.3000.4000.600 0.8000
    L......50554545.45..30252525
    R......55504545.35..30303035

Bone Conduction are all 20 Db or less

Diagnosis from Au = Moderately Severe rising to Mild CHL

Speech disc:
    L: 100% at 85 dB SRT 45
    R: 100% at 85 dB SRT 40

I am on my First Set of Hearing Aids, which are Beltone True 17's Purchased in February of 2011.

Thanks for the replies.

I have actually been a user for around 6 years of some cheap Oticon cic's. I just never really took an interest in my condition until now. Basically, the audiologist said I needed them, I went ok and got em. One fitting. I wasn't really made aware of the multiple fittings to tune it thing. About one a year or two, I'd send them in for repair (mostly water(sweet) damage. Never been really happy, but then it was better then not having them at all, and as a student, money was a concern.

I have just gotten to the point that I want to hear people again. I have a cell phone, but avoid using it as much as possible. TV was a chore in a group setting. Restaurants are an unenjoyably event. I mishear words, and then it becomes a joke when I try to participate in the conversation not really understanding what they are talking about. I want my life back! More so then worrying about the looks of a bte (I got cic's as I didn't want the world to know I wore hearing aids, but I always felt a kinship with those that did).

Thanks for the links, especially to Neil Bauman. Very interesting read, and it looks like I'm in for a good time. Before reading that article, I would have thought that raising all my weak Hz levels to zero would have fixed everything. I know better know, and can go into tomorrow a little better educated and armed.

Speech Audiometry:

6. Default Do I need a hearing aid?

Hi all,
    I wanted to piggyback off this thread and get input on whether or not I should get a hearing. After a concert, I had severe hearing loss. Over the past 3 months, I have gone through various steroid treatments (oral and injection) and have now been left with "mild" hearing loss. I am now in month 4 and it seems that whatever hearing I have will be my new normal. The ENT nurse who saw me says a hearing aid is a possibility, but it was my call. The audiologist said the numbers suggest I do not need one. I am fine at work or small conversations, but it gets difficult in social situations (i.e restaurants, bars, or conferences). I have posted my last audiogram below and hope people on this forum have some information or can direct me to a link/thread regarding the decision making process of whether or not to get a hearing aid.

Thanks.

250 500 750 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    L AC 10 20 15 0 0 5
    L BC 0 15 10 0 0

R AC 25 45 45 20 15 5 5
    R BC 25 45 5

Word distinction 100% @ 80/85 dB
    L AC 10 20 15 0 0 5
    L BC 0 15 10 0 0

R AC 25 45 45 20 15 5 5
    R BC 25 45 5

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee784 View Post
    Hi all,
    I wanted to piggyback off this thread and get input on whether or not I should get a hearing. After a concert, I had severe hearing loss. Over the past 3 months, I have gone through various steroid treatments (oral and injection) and have now been left with "mild" hearing loss. I am now in month 4 and it seems that whatever hearing I have will be my new normal. The ENT nurse who saw me says a hearing aid is a possibility, but it was my call. The audiologist said the numbers suggest I do not need one. I am fine at work or small conversations, but it gets difficult in social situations (i.e restaurants, bars, or conferences). I have posted my last audiogram below and hope people on this forum have some information or can direct me to a link/thread regarding the decision making process of whether or not to get a hearing aid.

Thanks.

L AC 10 20 15 0 0 5
    L BC 0 15 10 0 0

R AC 25 45 45 20 15 5 5
    R BC 25 45 5

Word distinction 100% @ 80/85 dB
    It's a simple answer. If your results contain several AC numbers higher than 20, you could use some help. Your right ear has some loss below that, and you are describing symptoms of a hearing loss.

It might be worth trialing something in your right ear, and seeing how you like it.

Equally, your hearing is not that bad, so maybe you want to wait a little bit. You just have to be honest with yourself about how it is affecting the quality of your life.

At a minimum have annual checks to see if it changes.

8. Default

Hi ZCT,

Thank you for the reply. I feel right now my hearing loss is manageable, but it is quite frustrating in certain situations. I have a checkup in 5 months and I am hoping to get a better grasp of things before I ask about hearing aids. I am weighing the cost (it seems pretty hefty) and social stigma (not as worried about this one) vs. the quality hearing I would regain. The main thing is that I work in a quiet office where I can pretty much hear everything clearly. It is in social situations where I struggle.

Sorry to ramble on..... Thanks again!
    L AC 10 20 15 0 0 5
    L BC 0 15 10 0 0

R AC 25 45 45 20 15 5 5
    R BC 25 45 5

Quote Originally Posted by jaylee784 View Post
    Hi ZCT,

Thank you for the reply. I feel right now my hearing loss is manageable, but it is quite frustrating in certain situations. I have a checkup in 5 months and I am hoping to get a better grasp of things before I ask about hearing aids. I am weighing the cost (it seems pretty hefty) and social stigma (not as worried about this one) vs. the quality hearing I would regain. The main thing is that I work in a quiet office where I can pretty much hear everything clearly. It is in social situations where I struggle.

Sorry to ramble on..... Thanks again!
    I'm in a similar situation, though my hearing has deteriorated a bit more than yours (I'm 53, and have had hearing loss all my life). As for the social stigma, I'm currently trialling a pair of hearing aids (Phonak Audéo SMART Vs), and unless I point them out to people, no one knows I'm wearing them. In some cases I had to take one of them out and show them to people before they would believe me. Hearing aids have come a long way!
    Sue
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Lennon

Audiogram:

Right
    0125 Hz. 5
    0250 Hz. 15
    0500 Hz. 30
    1000 Hz. 35
    2000 Hz. 35
    3000 Hz. 50
    4000 Hz. 45
    6000 Hz. 40
    8000 Hz. 50

Left
    0125 Hz. 10
    0250 Hz. 25
    0500 Hz. 40
    1000 Hz. 45
    2000 Hz. 60
    3000 Hz. 70
    4000 Hz. 65
    6000 Hz. 60
    8000 Hz. 50

Word recognition: right - excellent at MCL (65 dB HL); left - fair at MCL (75 dB HL)

Quote Originally Posted by Oake View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I have actually been a user for around 6 years of some cheap Oticon cic's. I just never really took an interest in my condition until now. Basically, the audiologist said I needed them, I went ok and got em. One fitting. I wasn't really made aware of the multiple fittings to tune it thing. About one a year or two, I'd send them in for repair (mostly water(sweet) damage. Never been really happy, but then it was better then not having them at all, and as a student, money was a concern.

I have just gotten to the point that I want to hear people again. I have a cell phone, but avoid using it as much as possible. TV was a chore in a group setting. Restaurants are an unenjoyably event. I mishear words, and then it becomes a joke when I try to participate in the conversation not really understanding what they are talking about. I want my life back! More so then worrying about the looks of a bte (I got cic's as I didn't want the world to know I wore hearing aids, but I always felt a kinship with those that did).

Thanks for the links, especially to Neil Bauman. Very interesting read, and it looks like I'm in for a good time. Before reading that article, I would have thought that raising all my weak Hz levels to zero would have fixed everything. I know better know, and can go into tomorrow a little better educated and armed.
    Its simple to pair your cell phone to the ComPilot. Take a look at the instructions. Get your TVLink up and running. I think that since you are trialing it, you might as well jump in. Figure out whether it is helpful or not in as many environments as you can experience.
    My hearing assessment: tHidden Content

My Hearing Aide Demo Experience: Hidden Content