Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diagnosis of SSHL, and the HUM test

Starting or stopping any medication without expert consultation is not recommended at all. As for me, I am hearing something like HUM test for the first time.

Default Follow up 15 months later.

Thought I'd update my thread.

Got all the tests done long ago. Nothing was found , other than some spurious findings that were likely irrelevant. Shadows.

The GOOD news is , and maybe this can give some people hope, is that I did NOTHING beyond that initial prednisone treatment. Had all the symptoms of loud tinnitus and fullness (very unpleasent) in the one ear. Ans significant 'variable'
    hearing loss.

This lasted for a few months but the hearing was still quite poor in the one ear. Based on my readings, after 3 or more months , recovery was supposed to be unlikely.

But slowly and surely my hearing has gotten better in the left ear, and at this point is ALMOST back to normal.

Since my right ear has the hearing of a 20 year old (I'm 59) , I'd say the left is that of a 40 year olds.

Some low frequency loss still exists but other than that, I can't tell there's any problem at all in daily activity or listening to music.

So there it is, have no idea what caused this, other than possibly pushing too hard with an in ear headphone a few weeks prior. Had no illness of any kind that I am aware of.

3. Default

Hi joe,

I had sudden hearing loss on first of may (2013). I start improving 3 months later, I test myself every week with some mp3 files I've got with all frequencies, and I've noticed that I've been improving until last week, that my test was worst than the week before. I've lost only low frequencies, and I hear background noises amplifieds. It's hard to tell, I hear like through a blown speaker, I hear the message, and also distortion.

I got tinnitus also but now is at very low volume so it does not disturb me much, but distortion does. If I plug my bad ear I realize how much noise it makes. I wonder if this sounds that my ear amplifies will ever end.. It's now four months since the onset. And I feel that I'm not improving anymore..
    I've got some random clicking in my ear.. did you have that?

You said "follow up 15 months later", when do you think you stopped improving?

Thanks and take care.

4. Default

Hi Everyone,

I am experiencing the same as the original post.

Lost in low frequency and high frequency, let's say about 35% [if I have to put a number to it]
    I have this humming sound in the ear, which is a bit upsetting in evenings and early mornings.

This has been going on for about 1-2months. I have been on three courses of cortisone since.

First course of corrtisone.This took away the humming sound and hearing returned to normal.
    However, about a week after the pills ran out the humming returned and the low and high frequency loss with it.

I went to an ENT which prescirbed another course of cortisone and anti-viral medicine which yet again made the humming
    sound go away, and hearing returned to normal. But, again, a week after the course was done the humming returned and the low
    and high frequencies reduced.

I went back to the ENT. He gave one look and said that it has to be menier's disease...and prescribed another course of
    cortisone, but a bit shoter than the previous. He also prescribed SERC which is very expensive, [south africa]R720 for a month.
    As previously explained, humming went away and hearing returned to normal. But....as before, a week after the course was done
    the humming returned and the said frequencies dropped.

I am not entirely convinced that it's menier's disease, so I am going for a second opinion. I have no virtigo or nausea.

Has anyone experienced the same as which I am, where cortisone works, but after a week the symptoms return ?
    I would truly appreciate some advise

Thanks.

2014-04-03 - UPDATE ON THE ABOVE ISSUE:

Hi All,

I know that people ussually only complain and never come back to provide solutions.
    Here is my solution which is currently working for me.

After going for an MRI to check if I've got tumours [which I don't luckily], they found that
    I have maxillary antrum mucous retention on the left side, and partial opacification of right mastoid air cells.

After this, I found something on the net with regards to the above: [here is the link]

http://www.healthcaremagic.com/quest...fection/380870

"Opacification in sinuses s/o chronic sinusitis and yes its a main cause for hearing loss. As it spreads to middle ear through eustachian tube, causing middle ear effusion and changes of inflammation in mastoid antrum.
    Needs topical nasal steroidal spray like mometasone nasal spray and gromet if impedance audiometry s/o middle ear effusion."

Here they recommend nasal steroidal spray. I got Avamys which is exactly this.
    I used the spray and a week afterwards the low frequency hum stopped. Hearing returned
    almost to what it used to be.

I hope this helps someone else in the right direction.

If the above doesn't work, I suggest that you truly accept what is happening to you, only then can you move forward. I
    accepted the fact that it might or might not heal...and I changed for the better. Luckily the spray helps.

Cheers
    Last edited by BernardCronje; 04-03-2014 at 04:39 AM.

5. Default

I experienced sudden hearing loss in my right ear about 5 weeks ago. I've lost all lower db sounds (can still hear high sounds). I took 14 days of 60 mg. Pred (then five day taper) along with antiviral drugs. I've had two steroid injections in my eardrum. No improvement from any of this. I had an MRI (normal) and the HSP70 blood test. I was "trace positive" on the HSP70 test, which detects autoimmune inner ear disease. My ENT says testing positive is unusual (I think 1% of all with SHL), and the "trace positive" is more unusual. I'm panicked that I'll lose more hearing...or lose it in the other ear. I'm very grateful that I haven't lost all hearing in my right ear. I'm trying to find a neurotologist nearby, although there are not any in my city.

Kathleen

Quote Originally Posted by cattailgal View Post
    I experienced sudden hearing loss in my right ear about 5 weeks ago. I've lost all lower db sounds (can still hear high sounds). I took 14 days of 60 mg. Pred (then five day taper) along with antiviral drugs. I've had two steroid injections in my eardrum. No improvement from any of this. I had an MRI (normal) and the HSP70 blood test. I was "trace positive" on the HSP70 test, which detects autoimmune inner ear disease. My ENT says testing positive is unusual (I think 1% of all with SHL), and the "trace positive" is more unusual. I'm panicked that I'll lose more hearing...or lose it in the other ear. I'm very grateful that I haven't lost all hearing in my right ear. I'm trying to find a neurotologist nearby, although there are not any in my city.

Kathleen
    Hi Kathleen,
    Your situation sounds quite similar to mine. My ENT did NOT do the HSP70 test, but did diagnose me with autoimmune inner ear disorder. This was based on family history, and other issues I have. This was after he ruled out viral issues, and after I had an MRI to eliminate an neuromoa / brain tumor(s). The reason he did not do the blood test was this: once you have that in your medical chart, it can become impossible to get insurance - specifically, long term care insurance. I am age 55, and as my father has systemic auto immune issues, I am high risk to have it. I cared for my Dad here at my home for 12 years, but it became too much and he is now in a nursing home; he is age 87. I have neither children nor nieces or nephews to care for me, for LTC insurance is likely in my future. Hence, he does not want to medically document this.

I had 3 intra tympanic injections, which improved my hearing. We waited 3 months then redid the hearing test and my hearing had declined to even worse than it had been initially. I am also worried I will lose more / all hearing in my left ear, and may lose hearing in my right ear. The ENT has said this is possible, even likely, but not assured. Sadly, he says there is nothing to be done.

For now, I am caring for my right ear (my good ear, not effected), using a ear plug when I mow the lawn, use my hair dryer, etc. Ear plugs are rated. I bought mine off Amazon, brand name "hearos" and these are rated 32 NRR.

I am new to this forum. Just reading through the recent posts in this thread, I see the person above you posted about using a nasal spray. I was using Flonase during the time my hearing improved. I am going to start that again to see if there is any improvement.

I am devastated by this aied diagnosis as well. Working on getting a hearing aid for my left ear. My ENT advised I could learn ASL any time, now, as a precaution for future.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cattailgal View Post

Kathleen
    Hi Kathleen,
    Your situation sounds quite similar to mine. My ENT did NOT do the HSP70 test, but did diagnose me with autoimmune inner ear disorder. This was based on family history, and other issues I have. This was after he ruled out viral issues, and after I had an MRI to eliminate an neuromoa / brain tumor(s). The reason he did not do the blood test was this: once you have that in your medical chart, it can become impossible to get insurance - specifically, long term care insurance. I am age 55, and as my father has systemic auto immune issues, I am high risk to have it. I cared for my Dad here at my home for 12 years, but it became too much and he is now in a nursing home; he is age 87. I have neither children nor nieces or nephews to care for me, for LTC insurance is likely in my future. Hence, he does not want to medically document this.

I had 3 intra tympanic injections, which improved my hearing. We waited 3 months then redid the hearing test and my hearing had declined to even worse than it had been initially. I am also worried I will lose more / all hearing in my left ear, and may lose hearing in my right ear. The ENT has said this is possible, even likely, but not assured. Sadly, he says there is nothing to be done.

For now, I am caring for my right ear (my good ear, not effected), using a ear plug when I mow the lawn, use my hair dryer, etc. Ear plugs are rated. I bought mine off Amazon, brand name "hearos" and these are rated 32 NRR.

I am new to this forum. Just reading through the recent posts in this thread, I see the person above you posted about using a nasal spray. I was using Flonase during the time my hearing improved. I am going to start that again to see if there is any improvement.

I am devastated by this aied diagnosis as well. Working on getting a hearing aid for my left ear. My ENT advised I could learn ASL any time, now, as a precaution for future.
    Freq . L . R and 1 yr later L . R
    0250 35 05 --- 35 10
    0500 35 10 --- 35 20
    1000 15 15 --- 35 15
    2000 35 00 --- 40 10
    3000 40 00 --- 50 05
    4000 45 00 --- 60 10
    6000 80 05 --- 80 10
    8000 70 10 --- 80 15

SRT L/R 25/5
    Level L 65/55, R 45
    Score: 100% for both

Rexton Accord 16 2c, BTE, left ear only, trial started April 22, 2014

7. Default

You can Ask an ENT expert for free at Glowpink.com , which is a women only platform to get answers from Doctors and Experts for their health, beauty & wellness related queries.