Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sodium Fluoride

1. Default Sodium Fluoride

I have read it before and read it here, that Sodium fluoride can be a treatment for Otosclerosis. Could someone explain how is this treatment done? Is it a prescription drug? How much did it help you?

Thanks

2. Default

Hi there
    It's probably best not take sodium fluoride as it can be toxic if over done. I think you will find that sodium fluoride is associated with tooth emamel and is usually in the tap water you drink.
    Otosclerosis is a boney growth affecting the joints of the ossiccular chain (the three little bones in the middle ear).
    I explain Otosclerosis to my customers as a bit like arthritis on your ear bones. The best treatment has to be decided case by case by an ENT.
    Regards

3. Default

Search for some of the older threads where this subject has been discussed extensively.

I have severe otosclerosis (3 stapedotomys). My internationally recognized ear doctor/surgon recommended Monocal Ca+Fl supplement to slow progression, and I've been taking 1 tablet per day for many years.

My own research indicates: potential benefit for those with otosclerosis far outweighs potential ill effects.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Overoaked View Post
    Search for some of the older threads where this subject has been discussed extensively.

I have severe otosclerosis (3 stapedotomys). My internationally recognized ear doctor/surgon recommended Monocal Ca+Fl supplement to slow progression, and I've been taking 1 tablet per day for many years.

My own research indicates: potential benefit for those with otosclerosis far outweighs potential ill effects.
    Not being funny, but if Monocal Ca + Fl is so good, how come you've needed 3 stapedotomys?
    otosclerosis is a calcium build up, so why introduce more of the stuff?
    Have a look at this link: http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com.../otoscler.html
    Last edited by cheap hearing aids; 06-05-2012 at 06:49 AM.

oh really can Sodium Fluoride be helpful in treating hearing problem , i came to know it right now , that's really good information.
    clicking this here.. Hidden Content Hidden Content

Go to an ENT to see if it will help before taking Sodium Floride as it said earlier it can be toxic if over done.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Another caution: All situations are not the same. My ENT had me on Sodium Fluoride. When my Cardiologist became aware of this, the two of them talked and decided that to NOT take Sodium Fluoride would be in my best interest.
    Freq. L.. R
    0250 55 30
    0500 50 20
    1000 40 20
    2000 55 20
    4000 60 60
    6000 75 85

8000 85 85

Quote Originally Posted by cheap hearing aids View Post
    Not being funny, but if Monocal Ca + Fl is so good, how come you've needed 3 stapedotomys?
    otosclerosis is a calcium build up, so why introduce more of the stuff?
    Have a look at this link: http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com.../otoscler.html
    I seriously doubt he knew about Monocal Ca + Fl before his stapedectomies, The disease is a long time progression before stapedectomy.

My international recognized surgeon prescribed Florical + 400 iu Vitamin D after my two stapedectomies last year. He gave me up to 50 DB in one ear and up to 55 DB in the other, I am following his directions......................
    2000__R-45___L-50
    3000__R-55___L-65
    4000__R-80___L-90
    6000__R-95___L-75
    8000__R-95___L-75

9. Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by JW_in_VA View Post
    I seriously doubt he knew about Monocal Ca + Fl before his stapedectomies, The disease is a long time progression before stapedectomy.
    That is correct.

10. Default

Sodium fluoride in otosclerosis treatment: review.

Cruise AS, Singh A, Quiney RE.
    Source

Department of Otolaryngology, Royal Free Hospital, London, UK. mr.andrew.cruise@gmail.com

Abstract

OBJECTIVES:

To review the current literature on the use of sodium fluoride in the treatment of otosclerosis.
    DESIGN:

A literature review was conducted, searching the Medline and PubMed database from 1966 to 2009, using the terms 'otosclerosis' and 'fluoride'. Article abstracts were reviewed and relevant full articles acquired.
    RESULTS:

There has been only one double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of the use of sodium fluoride in otosclerosis patients, and this found a reduced incidence of deterioration in hearing after two years in the treatment group. Several case-control series have described a hearing benefit in the sodium fluoride treated group. Treatment doses vary greatly, and there is no evidence regarding the optimum duration of treatment.
    CONCLUSIONS:

There is low quality evidence suggesting that sodium fluoride may be of benefit to preserve hearing and reduce vestibular symptoms in patients with otosclerosis.