Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are all 312 batteries alike??

1. Default

The length of time that a hearing aid battery will last is dependant on three things and three things only:
    1. How long you use your aids every day.
    2. How much current your aids draw when in typical use.
    3. The maH rating or capacity of the battery.

It is that simple really.
    All batteries are not created equal as we have just discovered, but the differences in capacity for a given size, say a #312, are minimal it would seem. Hearing aid dealers would have you believe otherwise to sell you their preferred brand (the one that they make the most money on I surmise).

We were using their house brand for a while and then went out and bought 180 Power One #312's for $50 online. Almost a year's worth at the rate my wife uses them up. Going to order some Energizers, Panasonics, etc. to compare, but I suspect they are all going to be similar.

My recommendation in buying batteries is to buy from a reputable source. Storage or transport in extreme heat will cause the seal to break on the zinc air batteries and they will begin to discharge, so an expiry date of 2025 vs. 2015 makes little difference in that situation. You have no way of knowing how the batteries have been treated and often buying them online cheaply means that you have found a vendor who just bought a container load of batteries that were exposed to extreme heat or cold for an excessive period of time. Buying from a reputable source avoids this problem... a few bucks more, but guaranteed. AND THAT is the key. Energizers, if I am not mistaken, are "satisfaction or money back" and "if our batteries damage your equipment we will repair or replace your equipment". Need to check and see if that warranty still applies with all of their newfound competition these days.

Power One batteries have marginally more capacity than most others but not really enough to be noticeable under normal circumstances. We are playing with some now and they do seem to be lasting longer than the Energizers we were using but the Energizers may have been "surplus" from a hot container, etc.

For what it's worth.
    250 Hz. - L=100; R=20 db.
    500 Hz. - L=100; R=20 db.
    1000Hz. - L=100; R=30 db.
    2000Hz. - L=100; R=40 db.
    4000Hz. - L=100; R=30 db.
    8000Hz. - L=100; R=35 db.
    Phonak Audeo S Smart V with BiCross and all the bells and whistles including Bluetooth, etc.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Herein lies opinion, not professional advice, which all are well advised to seek.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by torontohearingguy View Post
    The length of time that a hearing aid battery will last is dependant on three things and three things only:
    1. How long you use your aids every day.
    3. The maH rating or capacity of the battery.

It is that simple really.
    All batteries are not created equal as we have just discovered, but the differences in capacity for a given size, say a #312, are minimal it would seem. Hearing aid dealers would have you believe otherwise to sell you their preferred brand (the one that they make the most money on I surmise).

We were using their house brand for a while and then went out and bought 180 Power One #312's for $50 online. Almost a year's worth at the rate my wife uses them up. Going to order some Energizers, Panasonics, etc. to compare, but I suspect they are all going to be similar.

My recommendation in buying batteries is to buy from a reputable source. Storage or transport in extreme heat will cause the seal to break on the zinc air batteries and they will begin to discharge, so an expiry date of 2025 vs. 2015 makes little difference in that situation. You have no way of knowing how the batteries have been treated and often buying them online cheaply means that you have found a vendor who just bought a container load of batteries that were exposed to extreme heat or cold for an excessive period of time. Buying from a reputable source avoids this problem... a few bucks more, but guaranteed. AND THAT is the key. Energizers, if I am not mistaken, are "satisfaction or money back" and "if our batteries damage your equipment we will repair or replace your equipment". Need to check and see if that warranty still applies with all of their newfound competition these days.

Power One batteries have marginally more capacity than most others but not really enough to be noticeable under normal circumstances. We are playing with some now and they do seem to be lasting longer than the Energizers we were using but the Energizers may have been "surplus" from a hot container, etc.

For what it's worth.
    you said

"1. How long you use your aids every day.
    3. The maH rating or capacity of the battery."

You need to think about adding the relative Humidity and exposure to rain etc... and HEAT.. as both do effect longevity of the battery... if you do not think so ...leave it in your car in Florida in the summer... or wear outside in a rainy season rain every day...

Leaving the batteries in a heated dryer when drying your aids will shorten life.. perhaps not by a huge amount but it will shorten life..

The other variable is amount of noise in your environment.. Go to a noisy place every day for 7 hours a day for a week and the life will be shorter then in a quiet home environment.. as the little computers have to work harder to screen and control background noises.... Noisy restaurants, symphonies, rock concerts etc...

so perhaps not just the three items you listed...

" The difference between theory and reality is reality "

YMMV

3. Default

I've never experienced this battery drain after leaving batteries in a dryer (Dry and Store Zephyr), with the battery doors open. If there is a drain, it is so negligible that it just doesn't matter.

I'm no expert, but relative humidity doesn't affect oxygen concentration in the atmosphere THAT much, and these batteries run on oxygen. A little heat could accelerate the chemical reaction, but again, only be a small fraction, with typical temperature fluctuations. Heat in a car in Florida is an extreme example to be sure....and a bit of a silly thing to do, too! ;-)

I agree that the amount of use, the conditions of use (drain) are the key factors (I include environmental conditions in the "drain" category - more noise = more drain) in battery life. Storage is another factor, not yet mentioned. Never in the fridge - but always in a cooler place (closet or something like that). Never in direct sunlight or intense heat.

Good luck

Evil

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Scientist View Post
    I've never experienced this battery drain after leaving batteries in a dryer (Dry and Store Zephyr), with the battery doors open. If there is a drain, it is so negligible that it just doesn't matter.

I'm no expert, but relative humidity doesn't affect oxygen concentration in the atmosphere THAT much, and these batteries run on oxygen. A little heat could accelerate the chemical reaction, but again, only be a small fraction, with typical temperature fluctuations. Heat in a car in Florida is an extreme example to be sure....and a bit of a silly thing to do, too! ;-)

I agree that the amount of use, the conditions of use (drain) are the key factors (I include environmental conditions in the "drain" category - more noise = more drain) in battery life. Storage is another factor, not yet mentioned. Never in the fridge - but always in a cooler place (closet or something like that). Never in direct sunlight or intense heat.

Good luck

Evil
    to help for discussion purposes.. for all who may not be aware... and to push the point.. why not in the Fridg????

So you at least acknowledge heat has an effect as you said "Heat in a car in Florida is an extreme example to be sure....and a bit of a silly thing to do, too!" but you do not list heat in your list of three things (as silly a thing as you believe it would be to do).. as to dryer heat.. I appreciate your downplaying it...

Spend some time talking to the manufacturer(s) about heated dryers and zinc air batteries...

While at it talk to them about high humidity areas.. Like Florida on an average day in rainy season...

You might also want to talk to them about the effect of Northern climates and the winter bitter cold and super dry environments as well...

You may not notice the decreased life and it may be minimal for some folks or even most... but it is additional drain just like homes with small kids vs homes without as the ambient noise level is higher in one then another..

Thanks for your consideration...

YMMV
    Last edited by jupiter; 06-16-2012 at 10:10 AM.

why not in the Fridg????

in FL and most other places with high humidity the moment you take something particularly metal out of the frig it instantly becomes wet. walk from a/c and your glasses fog, take a camera or whatever out of the a/c into the heat instantly fogs. but, if you want to keep them in the frig do it. I don't think there are battery police yet.
    0250.Hz L-050 R-050
    0500.Hz L-075 R-075
    1000.Hz L-090 R-095
    2000.Hz L-090 R-095
    3000.Hz L-095 R-120
    4000.Hz L-105 R-120
    6000.Hz L-110 R-n/r
    8000.Hz L-110 R-n/r

primary - Siemens Pure Carat 701s w/molds, miniTek & eCharger
    back-up - Rexton Cobalt 16 w/molds, Tek & eCharger
    donated - SeboTek

my responses are for the US market unless otherwise indicated.

6. Default

I have been using Siemens batterier 312 since here in denmark they are provided by the government. But i found that the original Oticon, like the ones on: Oticon 312 batterier is lasting like 2 days more, i am using Oticon Alta Pro hearing aids, i don´t know if that makes any difference.

7. Default

I use size 13 batteries and find that I've been given some cheaper ones by my GP than the ones I get at my audiologist (for the NHS - free at point of access for me). Don't remember what they are, but when I mentioned that I was worried about my hearing aids as my batteries were depleting faster to an audiologist they remarked that Rayovac (my usual ones) last longer. It would seem reasonable to me that variation in a size 13 battery (which is still pretty small) would also occur in 312. Mine last almost two weeks... but I only wear them for work.
    Bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. Mixed hearing loss in left ear with audiogram showing the "best" the glue ear has been.

Hidden Content

312 batteries don't last as long, because they are smaller and have less capacity. As to brands, look around here and you'll find lots of posts comparing one brand to another. Some people, and some research, say that they're all pretty much the same. Others swear by one brand or another. Personally, I buy them at Costco 'cause they're really cheap. And the 312s last 5-7 days in my Costco KS7 hearing aids, which is nothing to complain about IMO.

Oh and battery life depends very much on what you're doing with the aids. Streaming gobbles batteries, as does intensive processor use. So if you spend a week at a conference, say, your batteries probably won't last nearly as long as they might the following week, when you're back in your home office working alone. Unless maybe you're streaming phone calls all day.
    Last edited by corona; 11-17-2016 at 04:02 PM.
    250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K Costco KS7
    R 25 50 60 60 60 50 50 50 65 SRT: 55dB WRS: 84% @85dB
    L 30 60 60 60 60 55 60 60 70 SRT: 60dB WRS: 88% @90dB

Quote Originally Posted by ?tahW View Post
    With two samples of 5 & 8 days, it seems like 6.5 days +/- 1.5 days can be expected. Anybody have more samples? At least three more would be pretty definitive.

More mAh should equal more runtime and higher cost, other things being equal.
    All other things are not equal - use time depends on the required work of the HA - your level of amplification, noise level of the environment, amount of processing required and efficiency of the HA processor. Also - how long is your day? Some will be 8 hours and some 16+ hours. So you see there are way too many factors for such a simplistic approach.

Just as an example: I got 5 days(av. 15-16 hrs/day) with Resound LiNX² 961s with 312 batteries. I get 8 days with Phonak V90s with 312 batteries.
    Last edited by Psocoptera; 11-17-2016 at 07:30 PM.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB

?tahW

Join Date03-31-2012Last Activity07-06-2012 12:28 PMBlog Entries0

Quote Originally Posted by Psocoptera View Post
    All other things are not equal - use time depends on the required work of the HA - your level of amplification, noise level of the environment, amount of processing required and efficiency of the HA processor. Also - how long is your day? Some will be 8 hours and some 16+ hours. So you see there are way too many factors for such a simplistic approach.

Just as an example: I got 5 days(av. 15-16 hrs/day) with Resound LiNX² 961s with 312 batteries. I get 8 days with Phonak V90s with 312 batteries.