Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: New to Forum

  1. #1

    Default New to Forum

    I am new here and seaching for answers, but not sure of all the questions I should be asking.

    I have had some tone deafness for years and now some hearing loss. I went to a hearing aid store that sells Starkey and of course my hearing is bad enough to buy hearing aids.

    I am thinking I am borderline and only have difficulty with people that talk very softly and in public places where several conversations are going on at the same time.

    I am thinking about taking my chart to a dr for advice on my next steps. Is that a good place to start - where someone is not selling you something?

    I also have been reading about hearing source hearing aids. How do they compare to Starkey at half the price?

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Highlands, Scotland.
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Hi John, Post your chart/audiogram up here and some of the pro's on here will give you an idea of what your loss is like? Basically, depending on your job or lifestyle you might get away with a mild/moderate hearing loss and anything above that, then you may struggle badly? Starkeys are high end/excellent hearing aids and in this game.............. You normally get what you pay for! Cheers Kev

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKo View Post
    I am new here and seaching for answers, but not sure of all the questions I should be asking.

    I have had some tone deafness for years and now some hearing loss. I went to a hearing aid store that sells Starkey and of course my hearing is bad enough to buy hearing aids.

    I am thinking I am borderline and only have difficulty with people that talk very softly and in public places where several conversations are going on at the same time.

    I am thinking about taking my chart to a dr for advice on my next steps. Is that a good place to start - where someone is not selling you something?

    I also have been reading about hearing source hearing aids. How do they compare to Starkey at half the price?

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    My Audiogram.

    Hz250..500.1000.1500.2000.3000.4000.6000. 8000
    L.70 70..90..90..9090..90..120.NR.. =92 average db loss
    R.50 60..60..60..7085..80..80.90.. =70 average db loss



    Phonak Ambra's SP with MyPilot.

    Target 2.0 & iCube + iCom & TVLink + Click N' Talk.

    Phonak Naida V UP's as Backups

    FM Sennheiser Mikroport-System 2015Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    644

    Default

    A second opinion is always a good idea if you have doubts about any medical advice you've been given.

    Starkey is a good brand of hearing aids...my advice is always to get the best hearing aid tech you can comfortably afford and that matches your lifestyle.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKo View Post
    I am new here and seaching for answers, but not sure of all the questions I should be asking.

    I have had some tone deafness for years and now some hearing loss. I went to a hearing aid store that sells Starkey and of course my hearing is bad enough to buy hearing aids.

    I am thinking I am borderline and only have difficulty with people that talk very softly and in public places where several conversations are going on at the same time.

    I am thinking about taking my chart to a dr for advice on my next steps. Is that a good place to start - where someone is not selling you something?

    I also have been reading about hearing source hearing aids. How do they compare to Starkey at half the price?

    Thanks in advance for any help.
    I assume you mean the hearing aids from hearsource.com. I tried their open fit aids last year. Their aids are older, inferior technology and I could not get them adjusted for my loss without feedback issues. I would not recommend them. The aids did not come programmed like I was promised and they forgot to turn om the feedback suppression on one aid! They do not appear to take pride in their work.

    I am currently wearing the Micro Tech brand of the Starkey Wi Series i110 RIC aids. I hear much better and do not have the feedback issues.

    The major hearing aid manufacturers only sell through licensed hearing professionals. Those same professionals are also the people most qualified to interpret your hearing chart (audiogram).

    I also have problems with soft spoken, higher pitched voices and problems in public places. The technology in these newer aids will not restore perfect hearing, but they are designed primarily for these type of hearing losses.

    It is most important that you find a skilled hearing professional that you trust to adjust the aids best for you. Hearing aid sound is very subjective and each individual responds differently.
    .....250....500......1k......2k.......3k......4k.. ....8k
    L.....20......20......40......40......60......55.. ....80
    R.....25......25......40......50......55......60.. ....60

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    hawaii and seattle
    Posts
    352

    Default

    include costco. they alone don't commission staff.

    it's a weird h.a. world with ignorant fitters and pts. seek a very good audi/fitter.

    maybe w church help?

    i love my costco fitter, and love that he doesn't care whether i buy une or two aids,

    lovejoyelijah@gmail.com
    elijah lovejoy
    COSTCO audiogram 22jan2010
    hz 250 500 750 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k hz
    left: 65 75 80 75 85 90 90 100 95
    right 25 30 25 25 25 45 50 60 65
    (left eardrum ruptured many times diving, rebuilt by ENT in 1995)
    Ph.D in mathematical psych in 1966. Retired from Univ. of Calif where I taught for 30 years.
    Also retired from U.S. State Department (baby diplomat in Barbados for 2 years).

    Now living in Hawaii (big island) and West Seattle. Don't sell anything.

  6. #6

    Default

    I will have to get my chart from the office. Need it to go to Dr, but help interpreting it would be appreciated.

    I am retired so I am no longer in noisy areas. When hear plugs became the norm for my work place, I never was without them. I do a lot of woodworking and mowing lawns and wear plugs.

    The damage is probably from the years before they were part of my normal activities and partly from age.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by elijahlovejoy View Post
    include costco. they alone don't commission staff.

    it's a weird h.a. world with ignorant fitters and pts. seek a very good audi/fitter.

    maybe w church help?

    i love my costco fitter, and love that he doesn't care whether i buy une or two aids,

    lovejoyelijah@gmail.com

    Not entirely true. A lot of private places don't really do commission, and at Sam's we aren't on commission either.
    Licensed Hearing Instrument Specialist in Kentucky
    Working with Hear in Kentucky - primarily with StarkeyAudibel

  8. #8

    Default

    My HIS claims he prices his aids so he makes the same commission no matter what aids is selected. He says that helps make him more impartial.

    I do know that the $50 I paid for a D&S Zephyr was the lowest price I had found. He included a 3-pack of blocks too
    .....250....500......1k......2k.......3k......4k.. ....8k
    L.....20......20......40......40......60......55.. ....80
    R.....25......25......40......50......55......60.. ....60

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    644

    Default

    Remember that earning commission on hearing aid sales is not always a bad thing. Sometimes an extra incentive of additional money potentially earned is a good motivator for ensuring that the provider will do everything possible to make the patient happy and, therefore, keep the hearing aid. Most commissions aren't earned until the patient keeps the hearing aid, not just purchasing it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Highlands, Scotland.
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Aye Doc, tis not all cut and dried............ Too many folks on a commission for sales become greedy or envious towards their fellow workers and somehow the client gets ditched once they are parted from their hard earned cash! But, I do agree some form of commission is an incentive, although this should be a flat rate for all HA's, be they entry level or top of the range as this would prevent many HOH from getting more than they require..........

    Cheers Kev


    Quote Originally Posted by DocAudio View Post
    Remember that earning commission on hearing aid sales is not always a bad thing. Sometimes an extra incentive of additional money potentially earned is a good motivator for ensuring that the provider will do everything possible to make the patient happy and, therefore, keep the hearing aid. Most commissions aren't earned until the patient keeps the hearing aid, not just purchasing it.
    My Audiogram.

    Hz250..500.1000.1500.2000.3000.4000.6000. 8000
    L.70 70..90..90..9090..90..120.NR.. =92 average db loss
    R.50 60..60..60..7085..80..80.90.. =70 average db loss



    Phonak Ambra's SP with MyPilot.

    Target 2.0 & iCube + iCom & TVLink + Click N' Talk.

    Phonak Naida V UP's as Backups

    FM Sennheiser Mikroport-System 2015Hidden Content

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •