Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Profound Deaf new to hearing aids...

1. Default Profound Deaf new to hearing aids...

Getting my first set of hearing aids after about 20-25 years. I am 35 years old. Born Deaf, have a very large Deaf family tree, attended TSD and MSSD as well as some mainstreaming, etc. I'm certainly nervous about getting these hearing aids. A little background...

I went to DARS for interpreting assistance in regards to my employment. They wanted me to get tested for hearing aids and sent me to an ENT. I didn't really want hearing aids but they wanted to see. Soooo I begrudingly went. I had my first audiogram of my adult life. I will cut and paste what was sent to me via email.

Quote Originally Posted by local audiologist
    Your results today showed thresholds at 100 dB at 250 Hz and 120 dB at 500 Hz and 3k Hz in the left ear. All other thresholds were considered “NR” or no response. You heard speech, or SAT (speech awareness threshold) at 95 dB in the left ear and 100 dB in the right ear.
    My audiologist HIGHLY recommended bilateral Widex SP-440. I went home rolling my eyes. Why would I want to wear machines on my head? I'm perfectly fine the way I am. I read threads on here and scoured the internet looking for information. I got super excited by how this hearing aid has really advanced from when I wore them 20 years ago. My audiologist strongly recommended them.

THEN...

DARS denied me for hearing aids on the basis that I am too Deaf and hearing aids would provide me with ZERO benefit. I wasn't too disappointed initially. I don't want aids anyway. I did find myself coming to this forum these past couple of weeks. Then... something happened to me... My wife uses the Phonak Vaida V (is that right?) daily. She's always worn hearing aids and I never did. That's just how it went. I got curious and put hers on and heard many many different sounds although some are minimal. I'll tell you what I heard the loudest... my two year old hearing son's voice. I immediately appealed the decision to deny me hearing aids. I quickly won that appeal so... DARS has approved me for the hearing aids.

--BACKGROUND STORY OVER--

It's my understanding that I'm getting a powerful and finicky hearing aid. Any advice on how to deal with the transition from hearing nothing for so long -to- disrupting my life by bringing heaps of sound into it? My wife has horrible tinnitus and she blames the hearing aids. I have NO tinnitus of any kind. Never have. I would hate to develop tinnitus for wearing these hearing aids. My wife is a sufferer so I fear tinnitus.

20 years ago, my upper earlobes (where a BTE goes) would get achy and sore after wearing the aids all day. Does this still happen? As light as they were back then... are they any lighter now? I also have the feeling that my audiologist is new to the Widex as she keeps telling me that this technology is NEW for the profound. Any advice there?

Hi there mate,don't hesitate to use the aids,as you cant compare the aids of yesteryear! I to am profoundly deaf and have been for most of my life,i also use phonak naida's v spand i couldn't get by without them!get the aids and start hearing your family and friends, l hated all those new sounds at first but over time its the only way to go :-D just make sure you get them with the blutooth streamer for the tv and mobile phone, cheers

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tenkan View Post
    Hi there mate,don't hesitate to use the aids,as you cant compare the aids of yesteryear! I to am profoundly deaf and have been for most of my life,i also use phonak naida's v spand i couldn't get by without them!get the aids and start hearing your family and friends, l hated all those new sounds at first but over time its the only way to go :-D just make sure you get them with the blutooth streamer for the tv and mobile phone, cheers
    I won't hear my friends as about 99% of them are Deaf. L-O-L! Actually, my audiologist stated the MDex and the TVDex would not be a good buy on my part. She does not have much belief that they would work for me. I'm not really interested in those two ANYWAY. Closed captioning and video phones is how I roll these days so it's all good.

Thank you for your post. Hopefully others will chime in. I am NERVOUS about these hearing aids... in terms of stripping me of my identity and causing health issues (tinnitus), etc. As nice as my audiologist/ENT is... I still don't trust her. Eugenics or sterilization has been practied on my family as recent as the early 1980's... so... I do not trust audiologists very much. It is a good thing she signs though. That's another thing... how come most audiologists can't sign? That's like having a hamburger without the patty.

See if you can get a trial for the Streamer with the TV and telephone adapter after all your moving into uncharted territory and didn't think the HA would help either, so you never know! Don't worry about stripping yourself of your identity, you will now have two identities, one with your deaf friends and community and one in the hearing world. You are doing this so you can hear your son and since he can hear, he will have friends in the hearing world too, so you will eventually show him and he will realize you care about his world also. I've got to guess that It will take you a lot longer to adjust than the average HA user but don't give up, it will be worth it in the end. Good luck!
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    See if you can get a trial for the Streamer with the TV and telephone adapter after all your moving into uncharted territory and didn't think the HA would help either, so you never know! Don't worry about stripping yourself of your identity, you will now have two identities, one with your deaf friends and community and one in the hearing world. You are doing this so you can hear your son and since he can hear, he will have friends in the hearing world too, so you will eventually show him and he will realize you care about his world also. I've got to guess that It will take you a lot longer to adjust than the average HA user but don't give up, it will be worth it in the end. Good luck!
    I do function in the hearing world. I own a parking lot striping company and 100% of my customers are hearing. I speak very well but do have a heavy Deaf accent. That's true about my son's friends. I have one Deaf 10 year old and a hearing 2 year old. We have always tried to get the 10 year old to socialize with the hearing neighborhood kids with little success. My two year old does flip in between both worlds seamlessly. It's pretty cool actually. His first language is ASL but once he started at the local daycare... he's swapping worlds on the fly. I really do want to hear him do this with his friends.
    Last edited by NitroHonda; 05-26-2012 at 08:49 AM.

he's swapping worlds on the fly. I really do want to hear him do this with his friends.
    Raising him to be fully bilingual will be a great advantage for him later. And the early communication skills he learned signing as a baby are great for cognitive development. I appreciate you being an involved father.

This is a motivator for you, isn't it? Will be a tough transition.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NitroHonda View Post
    My audiologist HIGHLY recommended bilateral Widex SP-440.
    That aid is unlikely to be appropriate. First, because it uses a receiver in the ear and not a traditional soft, silicone full ear mold seal, so it has feedback issues. And second because it doesn't have much power compared to other ultra power hearing aids. Together, both factors reduce the fit range (see my signature). I question your audiologist's competency on this point.

For your loss and dead regions, the Naida S UP would be the best choice. UP excels at amplifying the lower frequencies where speech occurs. You have too much loss to bother worrying about fidelity/bandwidth, or overpaying for premium hearing aids.
    Last edited by MachineGhost; 05-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGhost View Post
    That aid is unlikely to be appropriate. First, because it uses a receiver in the ear and not a traditional soft, silicone full ear mold seal, so it has feedback issues. And second because it doesn't have much power compared to other ultra power hearing aids. Together, both factors reduce the fit range (see my signature). I question your audiologist's competency on this point.

For your loss and dead regions, the Naida S UP would be the best choice. UP excels at amplifying the lower frequencies where speech occurs. You have too much loss to bother worrying about fidelity/bandwidth, or overpaying for premium hearing aids.
    I would be getting the large receiver and I believe they will make me a mold for it. I have an appointment coming up for an earmold fitting hopefully next week. I don't know any more than that though. I will email my audiologist and ask.

As far as I can see... my audiogram only tested me up to 120dbs... which poses me with this question... how much power is too much power? Nobody knows the extent of my loss. How would I know the limits as a born Deaf person? Over-amplification (if that's a word) is a concern of mine. My wife uses the Naida V UP. I have tried hers on. It was distorted more than anything. I understand that we all have different programming and all that. I'm just saying... it seemed over-amplified to me but my audiogram is far worse than hers. She's HoH. Sure, I don't really know what over-amplified means exactly but it's how it seemed to me.

She actually presented me with the Widex 440 Super and the Naida V UP as options. She is excited about the RITE technology becoming powerful enough for the profound. She was very clear that this technology is very new and was recently released. I will have a 30 day trial so I can return these and exchange them for the other if I don't like the Widex 440's.

They know that. Full power would be overwhelming and would seem like over-amplification for someone who hasn't used HA's for a long time. You can ask her to only give you the amount of sound that you are comfortable with. Then gradually turn them up.

I remember getting used to my first ones was rather exhausting. And they were primitive digitals that didn't fit my loss very well.

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGhost View Post

Not wanting to get over protective here, but do you have a qualification to back that assertion up? You may well be right, but it's a dangerous game to start recommending hearing aids for somebody when you have no real idea of the underlying pathology or clinical experience.
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content