Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless headphones for TV

Default Wireless headphones for TV

Hello everyone,

My first post, anyone have suggestions for a Wireless headphone for TV listening? Someone who has actually used these would help.

Thanks

I use them all the time for TV listening. I had a number of cheaper headphones, but I've been using a pair of Sennheiser brand for the last 2 years. They seem to hold up better than the cheaper ones even though they are a little more expensive. i bought mine on ebay at a discount and they were new ones. Model 110 or 120 with transmitter work well. If you want to try used, Ebay has a used pair for $20 plus shipping now. You can buy new headphone covers if you like. I usually remove my BTE HA when I use them, although I have left the aid in as well.

PS You may need a splitter for your audio out connection. Many TVs mute the normal sound if you use the headphone output.
    Last edited by carnutfl; 06-03-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Phonak Smart Spice V and Phonak BICROS

Quote Originally Posted by carnutfl View Post
    I use them all the time for TV listening. I had a number of cheaper headphones, but I've been using a pair of Sennheiser brand for the last 2 years. They seem to hold up better than the cheaper ones even though they are a little more expensive. i bought mine on ebay at a discount and they were new ones. Model 110 or 120 with transmitter work well. If you want to try used, Ebay has a used pair for $20 plus shipping now. You can buy new headphone covers if you like. I usually remove my BTE HA when I use them, although I have left the aid in as well.

PS You may need a splitter for your audio out connection. Many TVs mute the normal sound if you use the headphone output.
    Hey carnutfl,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will look into these. How is the volume on these? I have a severe hearing loss, do you think they will be OK?
    Thanks again,
    farfel

The volume is good for my left ear ( See loss numbers). But is not strong enough for the right ear with the near deaf loss. They can be worn with a BTE HA, but prolong wearing with an aid will sometimes bother me because of the pressure from the headphones. Don't know how they would do with an earpiece, ect.

If you wanted to try a pair first, buy them in a store that will let you return them (Best Buy, Ect.)

Phonak Smart Spice V and Phonak BICROS

OK, Thanks for all your info, very much appreciated.

Default TV Watching

If you already have a set of earphones or earbuds that work for you, you might want to consider a pair of FM transmitters/receivers for TV watching. I have been using a pair of emu pipeLine transmitter/receivers for over a year for TV very successfully. The pipeLines are commonly used in commercial recording applications and can transmit high quality analog or digital audio. I got mine from B&H Photo online. Vic
    0250 L/10
    0500 L/10
    1000 L/15
    2000 L/70
    3000 L/70
    4000 L/70
    6000 L/65
    8000 L/85

Discrim
    L/84%@60 dB

Quote Originally Posted by vlcakc View Post
    If you already have a set of earphones or earbuds that work for you, you might want to consider a pair of FM transmitters/receivers for TV watching. I have been using a pair of emu pipeLine transmitter/receivers for over a year for TV very successfully. The pipeLines are commonly used in commercial recording applications and can transmit high quality analog or digital audio. I got mine from B&H Photo online. Vic
    Hey Vic,

Just checked with B&H and they do not carry these anymore. I did google and found one place where they are on backorder.

Seeing that I am not a techy, what installation info can you give me? I am now using some wireless headphones, will this Transmitter receiver work with these?

Thanks,
    farfel

Default TV Watching

The headphones need either a 1/8" or 1/4" standard male stereo plug. The audio source needs a pair of the common RCA analog plug connectors. (This could also be a digital source, but would also need a D/A converter which would be more complex to wire.) The pipeLine comes with a decent manual and is fairly straightforward to connect. Good luck! Vic

UPDATE: After a quick online search it seems that the pipeLine is indeed not currently available, at least not in the USA. Too bad because it has worked well for me. There are similar solutions on the market, but seemingly at higher cost. It would probably be more cost effective to just go with a ready made wireless headphone and be done with it. Vic
    Last edited by vlcakc; 06-04-2012 at 02:06 PM.
    0250 L/10
    0500 L/10
    1000 L/15
    2000 L/70
    3000 L/70
    4000 L/70
    6000 L/65
    8000 L/85

Discrim
    L/84%@60 dB

I have been using wireless headphones for many years – since before hearing aids. I have been wearing hearing aids for 14 years. Most of the 900 MHz headphones were made by Recoton in Lake Mary, Florida. I think they no longer exist. I am on my 4th set of 900 Mhz. I bought the last set from Brookstone. They normally last about 5 years before they start falling apart - ear pads, cables etc.

Most have rechargeable batteries that are charged by storing the headphones on the transmitter. The rechargeable batteries last about 1 year. It helps if you get standard AA, or AAA batteries. The batteries are cheaper if you do. The cost of the wireless headphones is $80 to $140 depending on the features. True ALDs that are matched to your hearing aids are much more.

For the 900 MHz;
    You can only have one transmitter in your house. If you have more than one transmitter, you will have interference.
    If your phones, microwave, etc. are also 900 MHz, you will have interference.

I love them, I can go out in the yard and listen to the TV. The have an advertised range of 300 ft., but I do get a good 100-150 ft.

I am on my 3rd set of Infrared (IR) headphones. They are similar to the 900 MHz headphones, except you have to be able to see the transmitter. You can't go out of the room that has the transmitter. I bought these at Radio Shack. They advertise a 30 ft. range and that's about right. These cost about $40.

My next wireless headphones will probably come from Radio Shack. If I was buying now I would probably buy:

IR
    RadioShack® Rechargeable Wireless Headphones
    Model: 33-280 | Catalog #: 33-280
    RadioShack® Rechargeable Wireless Headphones
    Price: $39.99

900 MHz
    Model: HA-W600RF | Catalog #: 55027865
    JVC® Wireless Headphones
    Price: $69.99

I don't have any connection with Radio Shack.

Did I mention that I am addicted to Closed Caption.

Hz-- L/R
    250--15/15
    500--30/30
    1k--45/45
    2k--60/50
    4k--70/70
    6k--50/60
    8k--35/50
    Last edited by hashky; 06-05-2012 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by carnutfl View Post

I have the Sennheiser120's as well and they work great. You can wander pretty much all over the house with them on and hear the TV/radio the whole time. Plus the fidelity is very good ... and it's stereo.
    My Aids:
    2003 - Unitron Conversa - lots of features, poor audio quality. REJECTED
    2003 - Sonic Natura 2se - Good, KEPT
    2012 - Unitron Moxi 6 - had basically same reaction as Conversa. REJECTED
    2012 - Sonic Velocity 12 - Good sound quality, good basic no-frills aid. These are my backups. KEPT
    2012 - Siemens Motion 701 CIC. Sounded just "OK". REJECTED
    2012 - Starkey Wi i110 - Good, KEPT (ReSound maybe better?)
    2015 - Siemens Pure Micon RIC (trial device circa 2014/2015) - These are "ok".