Thread: Another Unitron Moxi Review

Default Another Unitron Moxi Review

I'm returning these to my Audi today so I thought I would share my findings with the group. The executive summary is that if you live/work in quiet surroundings these aids can boost the sound nicely. Once you encounter background noise, all bets are off.

Unitron Moxi BTE/RIC Test

• Sound quality much better than Conversa but still lacks accuracy/fidelity somewhat. Some of the processing odd (steady tones become warbles).
    • “Home” setting too loud most of the time (used it at –1 volume primarily). Nice to be able to boost the level though when needed using the remote.
    • Didn’t notice home/main program changing/adapting much but when background noise evolves a feeling of occlusion comes and goes (makes one try and crack jaw, swallow, etc.).
    • Music program is better processing-wise, but still lacking in fidelity/depth. Music program also a bit harsh/bright.
    • Love the remote control (but wonder if the necessity of fiddling is masking a general inability of the HA’s to get the job done with fewer settings). The beep changes volume as the program volume changes. This can be harsh at high volumes (when turning up to listen to a soft sound).
    • E2e nice for changing programs.
    • OK when background noise is simple (driving with windows closed) but overwhelmed when complex (driving with windows open). Completely useless in a noisy restaurant.
    • Anti-shock effect generally helpful but too severe even on mild. Attack time still a little slow (surprisingly a dog bark defeats it) and the effect kicks in too soon level-wise (triggered by light switch click). Novelty of having an 80’s gated reverb sound 24/7 gets a little old. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5rDQbH1g38)
    • BTE/RIC form-factor “OK”. Somewhat functional with (large) headphones, but not ideal. No issues with glasses, sweat or (my) motorcycle helmet.
    • No success with telephones. Chewing sound less offensive than with CIC.
    • Battery life was good.
    My Aids:
    2003 - Unitron Conversa - lots of features, poor audio quality. Rejected.
    2003 - Sonic Natura 2se - have been happy with them, kept.
    :
    2012 - Unitron Moxi 6 - had basically same reaction as Conversa. Rejected.
    2012 - Sonic Velocity 12 - Good sound quality, good basic no-frills aid. These are my backups! Great price.
    2012 - Siemens Motion 701 CIC. Sounded just "OK". Rejected.
    2012 - Starkey Wi i110 - Good, kept. (ReSound maybe better?)

BTW, I'm hoping to try a high end CIC next. Maybe Sonic Innovations or Siemens? I like the sound quality of Sonic circa 2003, but heard the company went off the rails for a while. I mention Siemens because I'm hoping to find a top-line brand that has a CIC (or ITE) with either a telecoil or streaming. If you have any other suggestions shoot ... my audiologist carries quite a few brands.
    My Aids:
    :
    2012 - Sonic Velocity 12 - Good sound quality, good basic no-frills aid. These are my backups! Great price.

Which Moxi were they?
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Moxi 6 I think.
    My Aids:
    :

In fairness that's the entry-level model in the series. You'd have done much better with one of the higher ones, even the 12 at the next level offers much better performance. The results from the 'PRO' (top end) in background noise are genuinely good.
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks for the info. I'm surprised that there would be such big changes within the same line, but that's good news at least because I could never cope with the 6's outside of home or work (both generally quiet places). Anyway it was really just a test of form factor more so than anything.
    My Aids:
    :

I'm a classroom teacher, and I have been using Moxi 20's for a year now. They have done very well in the classroom and at home. In noisy settings, it can be challenging (school bus, restaurant, parties). Do the Moxi Pro's deliver significantly better in such situations? Not really ready to spend that much so soon, but just wondering. Thank you.
    Last edited by jaldridge; 02-02-2013 at 12:43 PM.
    James
    Unitron Moxi 20 CRT (xS, open medium-size domes, tungsten color) w/ Smart Control & uDirect Bluetooth receiver
    New to HAs February 2012 - cost for all through audiologist US$3888

Hz-250---500---750---1k---1.5k---2k---4k---8k
    L...20....20....30...40.....50...45...60...75
    R...20....25....25...25.....40...45...35...55

SRT L/R = 30/35
    Speech discrim @ 40 L/R = 90%/90%