Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Itchy ear and moisture from mold

1. Default

I have the same problem with my ears; tried boiling the molds and the plastic tubing became hard, and very difficult to insert onto the hearing aid.

Oil, any oil kills the receivers. " Eargene" Soothing and refreshing ear lotion. $5.99 in Costco. It is fantastic, takes care of itchiness.
    R L
    250 40 40
    500 55 40
    1000 50 55
    2000 50 50
    4000 40 35
    6000 50 50
    8000 55 55
    SRT 45 88
    MCL 80 75

BTE KS 5 from Costco with custom molds
    BTE Bernafon Verite 7w/custom molds. Back up pairHidden Content

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Hi, I went back a few pages and didn't see any thread on this.

Both my ears are constantly itchy due to moisture accumulated by the mold I'm wearing. It sometimes causes pain (not infections, but it hurts and my ear swells up and it's hard to put the mold in). I can't help but scratch as it helps, but sometimes I scratch till I bleed (oops).

I keep the HAs out as much as I can.. while I sleep, when I am home and such. My left ear is out more than my right since I don't hear much there anyways.

I've used different creams at bedtime (when they're out).. from anti-itch lotion to antibiotic ointments to help reduce the swelling. I've even used peroxide lightly soaked cotton to try to dry my ears out.

I find myself taking them out at work to dry my ears with tissues, and this gets bothersome, considering I am at work!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do to prevent my ears from itching so much, and getting moisture?

please and thank you!
    I wore HAs for over 35 years before having two stapectomies last year. I haven't worn them since my last surgery Oct. 5th, 2011. I always often used a q-tip dipped in 91% alcohol to clean my aids, letting the alcohol stay on for about 10-15 seconds and then drying with the dry end of the q-tip, usually at night after removing. When I got lax and forgot for a spell and start to get itchy ears I would use the q-tip and alcohol also to swab my ears. This always cleared it up. Bottle of 91% alcohol is about a dollar and will last almost forever.
    Last edited by JW_in_VA; 10-09-2012 at 05:06 AM.
    2000__R-45___L-50
    3000__R-55___L-65
    4000__R-80___L-90
    6000__R-95___L-75
    8000__R-95___L-75

I use " Eargene"- soothing and refreshing lotion. I get it in Costco for $5.99. It works like a charm. I had seen it in local audiologist, they started to carry it. Itching stops after a few seconds, and I believe it does dry the ears too.
    R L
    250 40 40
    500 55 40
    1000 50 55
    2000 50 50
    4000 40 35
    6000 50 50
    8000 55 55
    SRT 45 88
    MCL 80 75

BTE KS 5 from Costco with custom molds
    BTE Bernafon Verite 7w/custom molds. Back up pairHidden Content

Since I started using wet ones hand wipes to clean my ears, I have not been having problems. No need to use q-tips, since it is the outer part of the canal that is involved in itchy ears. Less mold slipping, too.
    35....30...40.....55....70.....70...70.....70....7 0
    250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    35....40...40.....55....65.....70...65.....60....6 5

word rec 88% @ 46, 84% @40

8/27/12 Loss is progressive.
    6/21/13 Screening revealed no significant changes.

Starkey BTE--

i would also recommend eargene, it seems to work really well.

boiling the molds may help, too.

i seem to have the best luck/fewest issues with acrylic molds that have been boiled in saline.

if you do get new molds at costco, as them to have westone boil them in saline before shipping them out. really helps with the itching issues for many patients.
    doctor kristin, at your service. Hidden Content

Hidden Content

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Hi, I went back a few pages and didn't see any thread on this.

Both my ears are constantly itchy due to moisture accumulated by the mold I'm wearing. It sometimes causes pain (not infections, but it hurts and my ear swells up and it's hard to put the mold in). I can't help but scratch as it helps, but sometimes I scratch till I bleed (oops).

I keep the HAs out as much as I can.. while I sleep, when I am home and such. My left ear is out more than my right since I don't hear much there anyways.

I've used different creams at bedtime (when they're out).. from anti-itch lotion to antibiotic ointments to help reduce the swelling. I've even used peroxide lightly soaked cotton to try to dry my ears out.

I find myself taking them out at work to dry my ears with tissues, and this gets bothersome, considering I am at work!

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to do to prevent my ears from itching so much, and getting moisture?

please and thank you!

I had constant itchy ears that were driving me nuts..constant fluid in my ears that would drain out at night expecially my right ear which has a hole in teh drum.
    ENts told me nothing they could do...then the surgeon who is doing my choleostoma surgery prescribed 3 medicines that have worked like a charm...2 are generic and cheap..the other unfortunately is expensive...its a two spray combination if your interested..one is
    Patanase, thats the expensive one the other is Flonase generic.
    The other prescription is for an oil like drops ok ready for this lol..name Fluocinolone Acetonide Oil...thats a generic name...
    The combination of the 3 stopped my itching... good luck

I have a similar problem for years and tried various molds and finally found that harder molds worked better for me. Doesn't completely alleviate the itching but it is much improved. I sometimes clean with a mix of rubbing alcohol and vinegar as recommended by the ENT.

Default simple solution

Equal parts alcohol, vinegar, water, two drops each ear, no itch.
    250 500 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k
    50 60 65 65 65 65 75 80 L
    55 60 65 65 60 65 70 70 R
    SRT: 65db L&R
    Word Recognition: 24 % L 28% R
    Naida S CRT IX

Default itching ears

Draco, i had the same problem,went to my dermatologist,he recommended a product called scalpasin, it is for dry scalp.you can purchase it over the counter. Apply it to a cue tip and place it around the outer ear canal or wher e the itch is. It works for me ,costs about six bucks a bottle. No problem since i started using it. Only apply when ear itches. Hope this helps,dayton