Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are hearing aids really worth the cost for mild hearing loss?

Default Are hearing aids really worth the cost for mild hearing loss?

Hello all!

This is my first port here. Some background on me is that I am a 20 year old social work student. I recently had my hearing tested for the first after being pressured into it by my roommate who thought I liked the tv too loud. Anyways, turns out she was right and I have mild to moderate hearing loss, that the audiologist suspects I've likely has my whole life.

Are hearing aids rally worth it? They are very expensive and I just don't think I have that much of a problem. Has anyone's life really improved?

This is my audiogram
    250 L-30 R-25
    500 L-30 R-30
    1K L-35 R-30
    2K L-35 R-35
    3K L-40 R-35
    4K L-45 R-35
    6K L-50 R-40
    8K L-55 R-45

Thank-you all for your replies.

Vicki

This might be the wrong location for this, sorry

3. Default

What you could do is go to Costco, or a Hearing Aid Center and let them fit you up with a pair and try them out. Only you can decide if the difference is worth it to you. Might be good to find out what you've been missing - maybe your whole life.
    0250HzL15R15
    0500HzL15R15
    1000HzL20R15
    1500HzL30R40
    2000HzL50R50
    3000HzL60R65
    4000HzL65R65
    6000HzL85R90
    8000HzL80R85

Also check out Hi Innovations. Hi Innovations have an audiologist(in my area at least) that will check your hearing for free and have lengthy conversation about your loss. The problem with them they do not have a brick and mortar office. Read this forum as well, for there are tons and tons of info.

stick with Costco's or a private AD. Costco is easy to deal with and straight forward on their trials. I think you will notice a big improvement (prob not the first week if you have never worn aids)

Default Something to consider.

I think it's important to treat your hearing loss, because of the whole body impact it can have. People Hearing Better has a few articles on how even mild hearing can impact the way your brain functions.

Good luck with your decision!

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Shu View Post
    stick with Costco's or a private AD. Costco is easy to deal with and straight forward on their trials. I think you will notice a big improvement (prob not the first week if you have never worn aids)
    This board is very pro-Costco. Costco is an economical solution for those who have a loss in your range.
    35....30...40.....55....70.....70...70.....70....7 0
    250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    35....40...40.....55....65.....70...65.....60....6 5

word rec 88% @ 46, 84% @40

8/27/12 Loss is progressive.
    6/21/13 Screening revealed no significant changes.

ReSound Ziga BTE-- 9/08. Beginning to think about new ones.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MCB View Post
    This board is very pro-Costco. Costco is an economical solution for those who have a loss in your range.
    pro costco?

I guess you could say that... But then I would also be pro steak, pro vegetables, pro wine, pro bananas and pro lots of other things... and by the way I guess I would also be pro costco because I can get lots of the above list at costco for a better price then I can at most other channel outlets..

I will say that vegetables in season are great at a farmers market where I meet the grower and as long as the farmers are not trying to pay for a new Cessna with every couple of bags of produce... then I will try to buy from them.

As relates to hearing aids.. it is a bit of a bigger purchase decision and the price does become important as do the other factors relating to the purchase and ongoing care and maintenance and fitting of aids....

But read the boards.. being Pro costco and or being pro local aud have therir own features. you have to decide which ones are important.

When you buy a Bentley or a Porsche or another high priced vehicle you have little choice where to buy it and where to have it serviced.. and that has little to do with relationship9s0 and more to do with access to parts and Familiarity with diagnostics and equipment to reprogram the cars etc.. regardless of how nice the mechanic is...

At the price of my 2nd new car per aid... at one delaership... vs the price of my second new car for two aids at costco... I guess I am pro costco as the product is THE SAME.. but wish I could have some of the same services and similar pricing from the independent shop....

Do aids work with mild loss and are they worth it? Heck some folks do not think they are worth it for severe loss... GIve them a try for 89 days at a local costco and decide for yourself.... No one can answer the question you asked but you.. I can say it is worth the try. Some folks wear glasses even though they can still read without them by holding their arms fully extended.. others wear them because they can see better with them...

YMMV

Hi Vickie,

Yes, unfortunately they are worth it if your impairment is being noticed by others (loud TV), you are having to say "what", etc. Believe me, I know the feeling of not wanting to have them and I"m 53, so I can't imagine you wanting to deal with them at 20. I found out I needed to think about them about around 40 and fought it for years. My Audi told me that i would eventually lose word recognition if I didn't start using them...and my hearing was better than yours. Reluctantly I did start using it (in left ear) and the difference was remarkable.

This was it when i started:
    250- 25 500- 25 1000- 35 2000- 50 4000- 85 8000 -110

I think it is worth just trying them to see if it really helps or not. I know what a drag the thought of it is, so big (((hugs))) your way.
    Tisha

Freq L R
    0250 90 20
    0500 85 15
    1000 85 20
    2000 80 35
    4000 75 50
    8000 90 60

Word discrimination: 36% Left, 90% right

10. Default

It's worth it... I had mild loss when I was a kid and ignored it, now I have moderate loss. I blame loud music, loud TVs, loud everything.... when I could have had aids to regulate the sound maybe.