Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: speech understanding with hearing aid and with tinnitus

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new delhi, INDIA
    Posts
    23

    Smile speech understanding with hearing aid and with tinnitus

    Hi All,

    I am delighted to be here, just got moderator permissions by activation of my account,
    thanks to them as i have hope to get my problem sort out here by people on this forum and obviously with their precious time for my life which is my ears, ear have greater impact on my life than anything else as money plays its role in our life, ear plays its role in my life but unfortunately i am suffering a lot due to bad situation and condition which i hope would get important directions and guidance from people, please post your valuables writing and expertise which is much awaited by me.

    Thanking you all for your posts.

    I have severe hearing loss in both ears and wears versata power cic to cope my hearing loss , my loss on speech frequencies is around 85 db in left ear and varies from 75 db to 65 db kind of loss in right ear. i have tinnitus as well which gives sound as hissing Continuous "s", Now my problem is this that after wearing 16 channel hearing aids i do not get people clear in noisy background and as well as in one on one, where in one on one situation i miss words sometimes and can miss sentence and where in background noise chances are much higher to miss word and specially the whole thing even in training room of my office i do not get what my trainer says in that calm situation and there is another trainer whose voice is of that kind that i do not get his voice.

    please post for me, for the sake of my life, i am not getting good suggestion from my audiologists and phoank india sales head here in new delhi, india as i do understand.

    I hope to get post on my thread.

    please guide so that i may improve my hearing. suggest me the best thing i can do for me.
    if you need to know anything from me let me know by posting it, i'll reply but please consider my post.

    Thank you again.

  2. Default

    Hi taneja,

    First of all, Versata Power cic maybe is not suitable for your loss especially for your left ear. I just checked range of versata, and it is between 40-85 db for most frequencies. Cic style is not a proper choice for your type of loss. Maybe you should change your hearing aids.

    About speech understanding, you didnt write your speech discrimination score.

    "Speech discrimination is a measure of how well you understand what you hear when speech is loud enough to hear comfortably. If you have a hearing loss and your discrimination is good (80% or higher), typically you will find hearing aids very useful. However, if your discrimination is poor (below 40%), hearing aids will just make louder gibberish." I quote that definition from web.

    Well important thing is that maybe your SD score is low, if so there is nothing you can do about that problem of yours. Maybe the problem is your hearing aids I dont know. You should try new hearing aids they have some new features like auto stereozoom, auto zoomcontrol, ultrazoom. These features are from phonak's new platform Quest. You should try other hearing aid brands also like oticon, widex, unitron.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beethoven57 View Post
    Hi taneja,

    However, if your discrimination is poor (below 40%), hearing aids will just make louder gibberish." I quote that definition from web.

    .
    My speech discrimination results are borderline 40% for both ears. With One Phonak Ambra micro-CIC (Left Ear) I scored 70% recorded content and 90% spoken! , I'm currently trialing Oticon Intiga 10 (RIC) and they make a huge difference when it comes to speech. I often take them off while listening to someone in different environments just to see the difference, and its BIG , i go from understanding 4-5 words out of 10 to almost all words(Noisy Environment)! my point is don't get discouraged just because you read something somewhere keep on trying until it works!


    As for you Tinja , you need to find a new audiologist who can offer you better support and recommendation's. May be you can clarify your situation so people here can help you better:

    -Do you want new hearing aid's? or do you want to reprogram you current aids?

    -If you want a new aid , what is your budget? and what are the prices for top Phonak hearing aids in India? which ones can you afford so people here can recommend different models for you?

    -I'm not an expert but if i had your loss i would definitely look at BTE's and RIC's seriously , may be more experienced people here can help you better.

    It seems to me after a lot of research here , that a good audiologist and programing makes all the difference when buying a hearing aid, you can buy the most expensive one's but if its not programmed properly it wont do anything or work as intended.

    I wouldn't buy any hearing aids from anyone if they cant make me understand speech after a 3 week trial and multiple adjustments. Good luck
    Frq L R
    .250 9 9
    .500 9 12
    1000 25 20
    1500 60 60
    2000 55 60
    3000 70 60
    4000 70 75
    6000 80 85
    8000 100 95

    Speech Discrimination: 48 Right / 44 left

  4. #4
    NaidaUP Guest

    Default

    If you have problems in noisy places then you need BTE aids that have directional mics and that will help you In noisy places. CIC or ITE aids don't have this feature as there isn't enough room to put 2 mics on each aid. My aids will automatically change in to directional when there is noise, helps me LOADS!

    Directional mics have helped me loads in noise. My speech scores in my right have shot up compared to my old aids. My left aid is to far gone for aids to help that much so wasn't much improvement.

  5. #5
    NaidaUP Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Cat View Post
    My speech discrimination results are borderline 40% for both ears. With One Phonak Ambra micro-CIC (Left Ear) I scored 70% recorded content and 90% spoken! , I'm currently trialing Oticon Intiga 10 (RIC) and they make a huge difference when it comes to speech. I often take them off while listening to someone in different environments just to see the difference, and its BIG , i go from understanding 4-5 words out of 10 to almost all words(Noisy Environment)! my point is don't get discouraged just because you read something somewhere keep on trying until it works!


    As for you Tinja , you need to find a new audiologist who can offer you better support and recommendation's. May be you can clarify your situation so people here can help you better:

    -Do you want new hearing aid's? or do you want to reprogram you current aids?

    -If you want a new aid , what is your budget? and what are the prices for top Phonak hearing aids in India? which ones can you afford so people here can recommend different models for you?

    -I'm not an expert but if i had your loss i would definitely look at BTE's and RIC's seriously , may be more experienced people here can help you better.

    It seems to me after a lot of research here , that a good audiologist and programing makes all the difference when buying a hearing aid, you can buy the most expensive one's but if its not programmed properly it wont do anything or work as intended.

    I wouldn't buy any hearing aids from anyone if they cant make me understand speech after a 3 week trial and multiple adjustments. Good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by beethoven57 View Post
    Hi taneja,

    First of all, Versata Power cic maybe is not suitable for your loss especially for your left ear. I just checked range of versata, and it is between 40-85 db for most frequencies. Cic style is not a proper choice for your type of loss. Maybe you should change your hearing aids.

    About speech understanding, you didnt write your speech discrimination score.

    "Speech discrimination is a measure of how well you understand what you hear when speech is loud enough to hear comfortably. If you have a hearing loss and your discrimination is good (80% or higher), typically you will find hearing aids very useful. However, if your discrimination is poor (below 40%), hearing aids will just make louder gibberish." I quote that definition from web.

    Well important thing is that maybe your SD score is low, if so there is nothing you can do about that problem of yours. Maybe the problem is your hearing aids I dont know. You should try new hearing aids they have some new features like auto stereozoom, auto zoomcontrol, ultrazoom. These features are from phonak's new platform Quest. You should try other hearing aid brands also like oticon, widex, unitron.
    My speech score for my right was below 40% on my old aids but since getting my new aids, my right has shot up. Just need a better aid rather then a CIC aid for a severe loss, like you say
    Also having a zoom feature on some phonak aids will help even more in noise

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new delhi, INDIA
    Posts
    23

    Default

    First of All , Thanks beethoven57 as you are the first person who replied me first on my thread. i read what you reply, and understand this thing that your approach to understand hearing impaired person life is simple and straight. so your reply was accordingly for me.

    In my thread i also write that i have tinnitus as well, you did not comment on tinnitus, where along with you all other 3 people who replied could not satisfy me as these things were so general for me, however, now you all who posted your valuable comments will get to know my reply for most of you people,

    see if a person has severe hearing loss, i mean his loss in speech freq's is about 85 then how he can have his speech discrimination good. he can not. where we go to purchase hearing aids i do not know about other countries but in india people just look for people to make them fool and earn money by using their limited knowledge, people here in india even in national capital (delhi) are very simple they do not know much more about hearing aids and related things and dispenser too do not know about hearing aids, some have optical (glasses) shops for eyes with their hearing dispensing business , people mean business mostly and this is perhaps the story of whole globe.

    yes i should consider ric or bte with accessories which are compatible to use with them but due to tinnitus, poor speech understanding i am highly confused that what should be my next step. it is not necessary that ric or micro bte can solve my problem better than this but i expect the same, i have tried the new chipset of phonak i mean audeo smart s and ambra audeo smart s was given background distortion and volume coming from hearing aid is more than versata which i use but i was not sure that it will solve speech understanding problem. i returned phonak ambra after one day as within hours i got this bad than versata, i tried clear 330 of widex hearing aid that was similar to phonak audeo smart s .

    At last, i did not get my answer for which i made thread, i can understand many read this and i expect in coming future people will post for my thread.

    Thanks again beethoven57

    Regards,
    Nitin Taneja, new delhi, INDIA

  7. #7
    NaidaUP Guest

    Default

    After one day your brain can't decide that it doesn't like a hearing aid. Takes longer fit the brain to get used to the new sound and you should of gone for more adjustments.

    Your not helping yourself by not using the new aids for a longer enough period.

    2 people could have the exact same hearing loss but hear completely different with the same aids. Our brains are SO DIFFERENT and ONLY YOU CAN MAKE THE CHOICE by trailing the aids the right way and not giving up after one day!!!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    3,520

    Default

    taneja,
    There are hearing aids that have programs built in to mask tinnitus, my Oticon's do a great job of masking mine. The audiologist didn't go out of her way to mask my tinnitus by turning anything on, it just happened with the standard program; the noise I would hear before HA's sounded something like a high pitched version of water running though a pipe, I still get it from time to time but not all the time like before and when I get it now it's not as harsh. I'm not sure if Phonak HA's have masking programs but that is something you could ask your audiologist about. Good luck!
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

    -250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

    SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    mile high city
    Posts
    127

    Default

    I agree that you may have more benefit from using a behind the ear or receiver in the canal style, primarily for noise reduction but also for speech understanding and making sure you have ample power.

    I also am in agreeance with the previous poster who said that 1 day is not a trial period. You need to wear the hearing aids every day for several weeks in order to truly give a fair trial.

    Siemens makes the Pure Carat which is a Tinnitus masking hearing aid, and ReSound offers the Alera TS series that also is a tinnitus masker. Perhaps trying another manufacturer would be an option? It might be worth a shot.

    As a PP said, there is no way to know how you and your brain will respond to a particular instrument, so you may need to try several.
    ********************************************
    doctor kristin, at your service. Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    new delhi, INDIA
    Posts
    23

    Default

    I am really sorry that i could not post after my last post for my thread, this morning i replied for a thread where i have shown direction to one who was asking for stem cells, i did my best of knowledge for that person thread.
    yes, of course, after all hearing impairment is illness and proper cure is proper cure hearing aid is aid a substitute we engage and discuss over this forum and others, whereas, there may be less but important thing is proper cure, whatever would be available in the world for hearing impaired people, should be available as soon as possible, govt.'s should see that now young people or 30 + people as i am looking for proper cure , i am 32 in age, looking forward cure from stem cells , gene therapy, estrogen , any other, so and so , yes, i am fed up , knows i alone can't make mind of United Nation or america the most dominant part of my home earth is giving funds or not for much awaited research to be confirm for treatment and not just proved or elusive predictions that yes in future we will get treatment after 10 to 15 years from stem cells or gene therapy or estrogen (which as working for auditory functions). oh god, i do not know what would be next and when the wait will be over but in case if i dead after some time due to my hearing problem even then i would be happy after 10 years when cure will be ready for us and by seeing from heaven or hell where ever i would be that the forum i joined people of that and others are now getting treatments and people are happy . yes, that would not the end of all problems but atleast an end of hearing problems.

    now ,

    all eight people who replied for my thread from their respective countries replied their best, but then i would like to confirm before actually following their suggestions,

    my problem : i do not get clear speech due to poor thresholds, damaged inner hair cells compensate by producing tinnitus in my ear which is such loud in my left ear that even after wearing hearing aid i can hear hissing continuous "s" sound all the time, i have started working with ibm for a process in bpo as i am an average person my iq is also average, during training i notice with these hearing aids i am completely not getting what my trainer is talking to us while sitting on first seat from where he speaks, my training is of 3 months i left company but rejoin it when i got another chance to join again with next batch i go in the current batch as well but it was not of any benefit for me as the situation is same for more woes for me i also noticed during one on one situation i mean extremely calm situation i am getting problem to understand word clearly so noisy can be understood, i have no knowledge of tinnitus masker, perhaps that's works with hearing aid i mean when we are hearing using hearing aids, i like phonak sound quality the most, i am unaware about oticon , and others, but to be very frank i have perhaps given up to some extend as i do not hope anything can be of my use for better hearing than the current one, current hearing for versata is not good, its hurt each time when i miss words spoken by people, their speech, their discussion, their gossips, i miss my society, my world as i am alone i noticed many viewed my thread just 8 replies for it.

    There are many things are in to do list of my life where priority goes to hearing first so yes, i would go for ric and micro bte for improve scope for my case, then would see for multiple lipoma treatment which comes second, my pending marriage plan is still to be execute - i am single and yes very frankly i asked anyone if she do not mind let me know about her if she is interested to marry a young from heart person, you can contact me on nitintanejaji@gmail.com, i am describing myself for this in one line -

    I DO NOT PREFER TO SAY LIE EVEN IN TODAY'S WORLD, SOMETIME I JUMP RED LIGHT FOR SOMETIME I JUST START THIS, I NOT PESSIMIST AN OPTIMIST, LOVED EACH RELIGION WHETHER OR NOT IN MY KNOWLEDGE. FAMILY BUSINESSES ARE WITH ME BUT DUE HEARING PROBLEM CHOSE TO WORK WITH IBM AND WORK THEIR FOR SEMI TECH PROCESS. PAST TIME CAN BE CHANGED, AS I LIKE TO BE FREE AND THE PERSON WHO LIKE TO BE FREE IS VERY FLEXIBLE IN NATURE. BY THE WAY CRICKET, MOVIES, SONGS, TRAVELLING ARE MY PAST TIME HITS.

    and for my hearing issue if now even someone would like to add he is most welcome to suggest me, my pleasure.

    Thanks,
    regards,
    nitin taneja, new delhi, INDIA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •