Thread: Oticon Delta 8000 to Resound Verso 9

Default Oticon Delta 8000 to Resound Verso 9

I've been wearing Oticon Delta 8000's for about 5 or 6 years. My audiologist recently sent me some information on the Resound Verso. I have liked the Delta 8000's reasonably well but have never really been satisfied. They were just the best I could find at the time. How much of an improvement could I expect if I upgraded to the Resound Verso 9? I have not kept up on the latest hearing aid technology. I have looked online for reviews but am having difficulty finding any reviews by users themselves, maybe because the Verso's are pretty new. Has the technology improved significanly compared to what I have now? I've seen a lot of good press about the Verso's but very little by actual customers. I know I can trial the Verso's but I'm just now getting back in to the market again and trying to reeducate myself on the latest technology.

Thanks for any help.

I decided to demo the Resound Verso. My audiologist has set me up with the Verso 7 model 61 and I have had it for a week. I was impressed with how much more natural sounding they are as compared to Oticon Delta 8000's I have had for over 5 years. Also impressed with how much better music sounds. I quickly realized though that the overall volume was set too low so I went back and they boosted up the volume. In the process of boosting up the volume though some of the naturalness was lost and I don't think I really understand speech any better that I did with the Oticon Delta 8000's. For me the deciding factor as to whether I make a purchase or not is going to be if they improve my understanding of speech. When I go back in next week they are going to let me demo the Verso 9. What are the advantages in laymen's terms of the Verso 9 over the Verso 7? Could I expect better understanding of speech? The Verso 7's would cost me about $4900 for a pair and the Verso 9's will cost me about $6000 a pair. To me that's a lot of money if I'm not going to understand speech any better. Also looking for better performance in noisy environments. Basically one on one situations I hear people well but in large rooms I have difficulty understanding speech when the person who is talking either mumbles or doesn't speak up. This may seem normal but most other people I'm around seem to hear pretty well in those situations. I don't. Would the Verso 9's be likely to help here? I'll find out in about a week when the 9's come in. Would appreciate any help from audiologists or wearers Thanks much.

Quote Originally Posted by wilt2448 View Post
    What are the advantages in laymen's terms of the Verso 9 over the Verso 7? Could I expect better understanding of speech? ......Also looking for better performance in noisy environments. Basically one on one situations I hear people well but in large rooms I have difficulty understanding speech when the person who is talking either mumbles or doesn't speak up.
    The main advantage of the 9 vs. the 7 is binaural processing, which gives you more of a 3d effect or surround sound. Instead of just two microphones, you've got 4 working together. That's going to help you hear better in noisy situations.

I work more with Oticon, and their equivalent model is the Alta. I had one patient who upgraded from a Phonak Audeo to the Alta, and he said he could tell a big difference in noisy environments.

Thank you audiogal. Hopefully the extra microphones will help will also help with speech understanding in general. Looking forward to trying the 9's.

I just wanted to update this thread. I did trial the Verso 9's but decided not to get them. Simply not enough improvement over my present aids to justify the $6000 charge in my opinion although I did like them better than what I have now. I decided to wait for more technology improvements before plunking down another $6000. Also sort of a protest against the high cost of hearing aids.

Since then I have talked to a friend of mine who recently got new hearing aids (Unitron Quantam Pro's) through the VA system and he loves them. I do feel that part of my hearing loss and definitely the tinnitus is related to my military service. I have an appointment with a VA audiologist on Monday and will see what transpires. I will update here after I know more.