Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phonak Eleva 311 - poor quality sound or??

1. Default Phonak Eleva 311 - poor quality sound or??

My question concerns the quality of sound that is produced by hearing aids: Do all brands vary in quality of sound as heard by the user? My older Widex Diva "in the ear" hearing aid for my right ear had good sound and until my hearing loss progressed to the point that I didn't have enough volume did I have to go to a BTE model. My audi fitted me with a Phonak 311 BTE. It's been two months since the initial fitting and I have horible sound quality. I can't begin to describe how many and what types of adjustments that have been made, but there have been plenty. I have worn hearing aids since 1988 so I'm not new to them. I have had three different audis work with me and it doesn't seem to be helping me get "tweaked in".

I'm going for another appointment tomorrow and I'm going to ask if there was an REM done. I not 100% sure there has been, but I want to be sure. I have been advised that I can select another brand to choose. Can Admin/Audi make a suggestion to me? I've heard a lot about the MicroPower-IX, but is it the same quality of sound or different(better) sound? Other brands? I was told of a few brands that I could choose from, but I didn't write them down and I have asked to have them emailed to me. I will post them whan known.

I am assuming that my problem is with the quality of sound. Should I be looking at other things too? The only reason that I have been on the internet looking for information is because I've never had this much problem before with a new hearing aid. I'm the two or three adjustment and "see you when they break" type of person(or course I do have them cleaned and checked once a year.

Thank you!

My first aids were Widex Diva in the ear aids. I was very happy with them and the sound quality. After wearing them a couple of years, I decided to try BTEs and first demo'ed a pair of Siemens Triano BTEs. At the time, they were the top of the line for Siemens. I absolutely hated the sound quality of the Siemens aids.

The sound quality of Widex Diva BTEs and America Hears Freedom VTEC BTEs was comparable to my Diva ITEs, and very much to my liking.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jay_man2
    My first aids were Widex Diva in the ear aids. I was very happy with them and the sound quality. After wearing them a couple of years, I decided to try BTEs and first demo'ed a pair of Siemens Triano BTEs. At the time, they were the top of the line for Siemens. I absolutely hated the sound quality of the Siemens aids.

The sound quality of Widex Diva BTEs and America Hears Freedom VTEC BTEs was comparable to my Diva ITEs, and very much to my liking.
    I had an adjustment today. I requested a REM be done and there was some difference which I was able to see on the computer screen and my Audi reset the hearing aid back to it's original settings when I received it two months ago. While at her office in a small room, the first word she said of each sentence "reververated". I left her office and the very loud whoooshing sound the hearing aid made while driving my car(changing speeds), was gone and it was comfortable. I was able to listen to the radio on AM stations with no problem and the FM was a lot more base and I had to turn it up. Both bands were music.

Back at the office was a whole another story. Voices were very distorted/revererated, etc. Extremely difficult to understand. I had a meeting to go to tonight I could only understand a small portion of what was said. The sound quality was just incredibly horrible.

I have been given an option to replace the Phonak Eleva 311 BTE with two other choices: Widex Aikia or Phonak MP5. The Widex will hook up to my ear mold/tube that was made for my Eleva so a smooth transition.

My hearing loss is Moderate: 41-60 decibles in the Low Frequency range and Severe to Profound: 61-80 decibles in the High Frequency range.

My left ear is awaiting "activation" for my Cochlear Implant which is due to happen next week.

Anyone HA users or Audi's out there have any comments? They would be very much appreciated!!

i would try aikia
    widex have very good producsts
    ________
    Stock picks
    Last edited by xbulder; 05-10-2011 at 04:27 AM.

5. Default

If those are you only two options (and im not sure why they would be your only options) I would go with Aikia. Widex products, however, tend to be very expensive and technology in other products is better.

For example, the Starkey Destiny 1200 has the best feedback cancellation system of any hearing aid out on the market (it also has an incredible noise management system).

The GN ReSound Azure is quite possibly the most advanced hearing aid on the market. It features directional microphones on your dominant ear and an omni directional microphone on the other allowing you to hear better in noisy environments. Its noise management system is supurb - great with wind noises and other ambient sounds (like the hum of a refrigerator or air conditioner)

The Starkey Destiny retails for around $3,595. The best price online for the hearing aid is at AidRight.com - $2,199 (and they are running a special on it for $150 off) Here is the link: http://www.aidright.com/Scripts/prod...?idproduct=368

The GN ReSound Azure hearing aid retails for $3,600 and is being sold for $2,599 (again, I think they are running a special on this one for $150, but I am not sure). Here is the link: http://www.aidright.com/Scripts/prod...?idproduct=434

The Aikia and Eleva sell for around $2,400-2,600. So, you could get the Azure (the top of the line hearing aid) for $2,449 or your best bet, the Starkey Destiny (probably the second best hearing aid) for only $2,049 (cheaper and better than both the Aikia and Eleva).

In my practice, the patients I fit with Destiny and Azure products absolutely love them, and most of the time forget they are wearing them. If you must stay with Phonak, take a look at the Unitron Moxi hearing aid (Phonak owns Unitron). That is a wonderful hearing aid as well.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by JgearyAud
    The GN ReSound Azure is quite possibly the most advanced hearing aid on the market. It features directional microphones on your dominant ear and an omni directional microphone on the other allowing you to hear better in noisy environments. Its noise management system is supurb - great with wind noises and other ambient sounds (like the hum of a refrigerator or air conditioner)...

Based on my experience with both the Pulse and the Azure over a 60 day trial, the Azure fitting helped me hear sounds all around me, but it wasn't better in noisy environments. The Pulse was. And the wind noise management was no better than any other, but the Pulse was and is superb with wind noise management. I loved the sound of the Azure, and really liked the "natural directionality," but it had it shortcomings that I've posted about in other threads. I'd love to have the Azure technology in the Pulse form factor with the Pulse's wind noise management.
    Last edited by jay_man2; 11-06-2007 at 04:52 PM.

I would also suggest to try the Oticon EPOQ xW
    it has a very pleasant sound, the my voice feature makes a pretty good
    noise reduction system
    ________
    The cigar boss
    Last edited by xbulder; 05-10-2011 at 04:28 AM.

8. Default

A lot of patients complain about the wind noise management and the problems in noise that the Azure has - the thing is, this can be fixed if you go to a dealer who knows how to program the Azure. It is extremely complicated to program (multiple memories with each frequency setting) and if your audiologist just did a "one size fits all" fitting, this may be why you are having trouble.

The best way to fit an Azure is to go into a sound treatet booth with certain fitting software that simulates different noise environments through the computer so that the dealer can see how you respond to certain stimuli.

If it is programmed correctly, it honestly is the best.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JgearyAud
    A lot of patients complain about the wind noise management and the problems in noise that the Azure has - the thing is, this can be fixed if you go to a dealer who knows how to program the Azure. It is extremely complicated to program (multiple memories with each frequency setting) and if your audiologist just did a "one size fits all" fitting, this may be why you are having trouble.

The best way to fit an Azure is to go into a sound treatet booth with certain fitting software that simulates different noise environments through the computer so that the dealer can see how you respond to certain stimuli.

If it is programmed correctly, it honestly is the best.
    Since I've had sooooo much trouble with getting fitted to the Phonak Eleva, I should consider the following as the possible reason(s):
    1. Too sofisticated for the Audis trying to fit me.
    2. Hearing Aid not good enough and need to upgrade.
    3. Not being fitted in a Treatet booth.

10. Default

You need to find a good audiologist!!! They do exist. Where do you live?