Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long should HA batteries last?

Default How long should HA batteries last?

This is my 11th day wearing hearing aids for about 16 hours a day. I have yet to have to change batteries. They are 13's. Is this normal? I always thought I would be lucky to get a week out of a battery. This is a pleasant surprise if this is how long they should last. What is "normal"?
    Mike

Resound Futures with Remote
    .....250....500......1k......2k......3k.......4k.. ...8k
    L.....25......20......25......60......80......75. ....60
    R.....25......20......20......40......80......75.. ...60

Both aids that I've worn or demo'ed that used size 13 batteries (Widex Diva BTE and GN Resound Azure BTE) had a battery life of about 20 days wearing them 16 hours a day.

My other aids with size 312 batteries are good for about 6 days at 16 hours a day.

That is rather amazing to me that a battery lasts that long. I sure wish my cell phone or iPod batteries were half that good. It really makes the operating cost of an HA very inexpensive.
    Mike

Resound Futures with Remote
    .....250....500......1k......2k......3k.......4k.. ...8k
    L.....25......20......25......60......80......75. ....60
    R.....25......20......20......40......80......75.. ...60

Quote Originally Posted by jay_man2
    Both aids that I've worn or demo'ed that used size 13 batteries (Widex Diva BTE and GN Resound Azure BTE) had a battery life of about 20 days wearing them 16 hours a day.

My other aids with size 312 batteries are good for about 6 days at 16 hours a day.
    can you please tell me what was your experience with the azure
    ________
    Dodge St. Regis History
    Last edited by xbulder; 05-10-2011 at 04:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xbulder
    can you please tell me what was your experience with the azure
    I did already in another thread. I liked the sound quality and "natural directionality," but in certain quiet or very loud listening situations speech discrimination was a little tough.

I also didn't like the size or how they fit and felt behind my ear compared to the Pulse (the Azure was a 13 battery, the Pulse a 312), the battery door was a pain in the butt to use, and the Azure was susceptible to perspiration problems. Every couple of days one or the other battery would shut down, causing me to think they were draining batteries. They weren't, but the battery door was letting perspiration in, and the perspiration was getting in the battery airholes and temporarily killing the batteries.

It took me a couple of weeks to figure out what was going on, but I finally figured it out. It always occurred within 30 minutes after I'd finished up at the gym and showered, but was still perspiring more than normal, particularly my head and hair behind the ears.

Those issues all combined and the extra cost over perfectly acceptable Pulse's with rechargeable batteries and the charger led me to keep the Pulse's and return the Azure's. The Pulse's also have better wind noise management than the Azure's, and have never shut down from perspiration under the exact same circumstances.

The Azure had a "warmer" quality to the sound, whereas the Pulse has a "brighter" quality to the sound. I also had every confidence that in critical listening situations I'd be certain to hear speech, and didn't have that same confidence in very quiet or very loud settings with the Azure.

EDIT: Also, the Pulse was designed from the start as an open-fit BTE, and the thin tube snaps on and off a small metal post on the aid, making it easy to remove to clean and reattach. The Azure is a regular BTE that uses a conversion kit to convert the ear hook to use open-fit thin tubes, but they screw into the hook. Even with my reasonably good manual dexterity, twisting off the tin tube, then reattaching and twisting it back on was a royal pain.
    Last edited by jay_man2; 11-06-2007 at 09:23 AM.

Cool Battery #13s

My Siemens Artis 2Ps last 2 weeks (14 days)

I am supposed to receive a signal when they are close to gone.
    What I have found is...by 14 days the performance of the aids is beginning to drop off preceptively but not enough to trigger the alarm.

Since one HA consumes much more juice (higher power requirements) I could play the game of replacing one then the other but I decided the aggravation wasn't worth it so at 14 days I automatically replace both #13s.

Peter

My #10s last about five days with 8 to 12 hours use. It also seems that opening the gate to [supposedly] turn the aids off does not make a difference. I still have to change in about five days. My aids do give a signal when the batteries run down. I have about twenty minutes left before they go dead. And, surprisingly, both batteries do run out at about the same time.

Default # 10 - Widex Passion

The Widex Passion uses a # 10 and has battery extender. They last 7-8 days.
    L 250 - 45 R -50
    L 500 - 50 R -45
    L 1000-45 R -45
    L 2000-55 R -50
    L 4000-55 R -30
    L 6000-20 R - 0

SRT: L - 55 R - 50
    MCL: L - 65 R - 65
    UCL: L - 85 R - 80
    DIS: (%) L - 88 R - 72

My new Freedom AD Liberty Open Fit (LOF) hearing aids will ship this week and they use size 13. They claim 14 days of use. Can any users support this claim through experience. They do have a low battery alarm.

10. Default

My Freedom AD LOF (open fit) just went through their first set of size 13 batteries in 12 days.
    Right in the range I was told to expect.
    KayakerNC
    Eastern North Carolina