Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low Tone Hearing Problem w/TMJ

Default Low Tone Hearing Problem w/TMJ

Which aids do better with a low tone deficiency? I have an unusual hearing problem my doctor and technician have said. I have had hearing aids before back in 1993; these were CIC, and they drove me nuts. They hurt my ears every time I swallowed or moved. This, after repeated adjustments was found to be because of TMJ surgery I had back in the 80's. So any aid in the canal will not work for me. They have mentioned the Oticon Delta (no model). Please Help.

Any power aid that produces sufficient power to handle your low frequency loss will probably work. Check the fitting charts for adequate power on the lows. Not all aids produce high power at low frequencies.

About the your canal problems.....to develop power at low frequencies all aids will require a tight seal with no vent (Occluded). This means your voice will sound awful at first but you will get used to this after a while. Of course you will need a BTE and I would guess a solid tight fitting mold. Ed

Default Low Frequency Hearing Loss

For a low frequency loss, the Delta may not be the optimum choice, as even with the use of their micro mold, the instrument and receivers don't put out lows as well as highs.

You may want to look instead at the Phonak Micropower (receiver in the ear like the Delta, but much stronger) or any other BTE using a regualar tube and earmold.

Unless you have a very severe loss in the lows, the molds shouldn't have to be so tight, as there is less chance of feedback with a low freq loss and the feedback cancellation works so well on most higher end digital hearing aids.

Try A Oticon Safran
    With A Corda
    ________
    LovelyChloe
    Last edited by xbulder; 05-10-2011 at 04:46 AM.

Default Low Tone Hearing Loss

Quote Originally Posted by xbulder
    Try A Oticon Safran
    With A Corda
    Do you have this one? What made you choose this one over any of the others? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Admin
    For a low frequency loss, the Delta may not be the optimum choice, as even with the use of their micro mold, the instrument and receivers don't put out lows as well as highs.

You may want to look instead at the Phonak Micropower (receiver in the ear like the Delta, but much stronger) or any other BTE using a regualar tube and earmold.

Unless you have a very severe loss in the lows, the molds shouldn't have to be so tight, as there is less chance of feedback with a low freq loss and the feedback cancellation works so well on most higher end digital hearing aids.

Thank you. May I ask why you chose the phonak Micropower for me? Is is because as you said above that it puts out lows as well as highs? Are there other benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by ed121
    Any power aid that produces sufficient power to handle your low frequency loss will probably work. Check the fitting charts for adequate power on the lows. Not all aids produce high power at low frequencies.

About the your canal problems.....to develop power at low frequencies all aids will require a tight seal with no vent (Occluded). This means your voice will sound awful at first but you will get used to this after a while. Of course you will need a BTE and I would guess a solid tight fitting mold. Ed
    I guess I need to do alot of research as I do not understand the "enough power" of the aids and how it is not going to give me too much of the higher pitch noises to boot.

Thanks.

P.S.

Here are my results:

L 250 - 45 R -50
    L 500 - 50 R -45
    L 1000-45 R -45
    L 2000-55 R -50
    L 4000-55 R -30
    L 6000-20 R - 0
    Last edited by Khenkels; 12-10-2007 at 03:07 PM.

Think of a hearing aid as miniature audio amplifier with a bunch of tone controls for the lows, mids, and highs. For your type of loss you turn the low tone control up and the others down. Of course in reality, the tone controls are in the fitting software.

Look at the manufacturer's Fitting Chart of each aid and you will see if they are powerful enough for your needs (your Audiogram) at all frequencies.

As stated above the type of mold will be very important so as to develop enough power at the low frequencies. And you may find that your professional will block the vent in the mold which means you will have to get used to your own voice sounding strange. Ed

ed121:

Thank you very much. That was very understandable. I am going to look at some of the aids now with what I have learned...then to see which ones are carried in my area.

Thank again!

Default Update

Hello Everyone:

I wanted to give you an update as everyone has been so helpful. I postponed (cold feet) getting my HA for awhile but am getting them today.

I am getting the Oticon Delta 6000's to try for 30 days, if that does not work we will go on to something different. I do not know what that something different will be yet - maybe one of the newer models coming out???

I will post my experience with them.