Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Oticon Spirit 3/Synchro HAs and struggling

Default New to Oticon Spirit 3/Synchro HAs and struggling

I've had a sensorineural hearing loss in both ears since I was little. It's a cookie bite loss which means I miss the middle frequencies quite a bit. Over the years I have adapted with lip reading and so on. But I'm aware I don't hear too well and as a lecturer that's no good.

In the UK I have been fitted with Oticon Spirit 3 (Synchro) digital HAs with open dome tips and thin tubes. (I tried the moulds but they cut me off from the world entirely.) Apart from making everything sound a bit tinny and making sounds a bit louder, I have not really noticed any greater clarity, which is what I am after.

The television still has to be at the same loud volume. If people laugh it hurts. I think what I am getting is a boost in the high frequencies which I do not need a lot of. I don't need any bass boost.

Is it possible for these HAs to be tuned to boost the mid-frequencies without boosting highs and lows? I had thought it was meant to be their advantage. Also are there any softer tips for the ears? The ones I have are quite soft but they make my ears sore after an hour or less.

I'm at the point where I don't think it's worth continuing with these. However, I don't know if it is me, the particular HA, the HA settings, or what.

I would appreciate any feedback, advice, comments, etc.

thanks, John

John:

I had been fitting Oticon for the longest time... I can tell you a personal secret.. I while a go I started to fit sincro and tegos and notice that
    most of my clients where real happy when I fit the tegos..

So i had a few clients, which wore sincros try the tego's almost all of them
    prefer the tego.. So as an advice.. Ask your audi to test you with tego or tego pro..
    ________
    Uggs
    Last edited by xbulder; 05-10-2011 at 05:03 AM.

Default New to Oticon Spirit 3/Syncro HAs and struggling

Hi Xbulder and thank you for the advice. That was the kind of inside information I was looking for. I know you are a key person in this forum, so I appreciate the comment. I'm due to to visit my audiologist on Jan 2, so I shall suggest this.

I already begin to feel better.

Happy new year,

John

by the way, as you know Genie (the fitting program)
    has something call adaptation manager ( GN has the same in the Azure call acceptance manager),

because generally gain is overwellming, the acceptance manager provides less gain so that you first get use to having the aids on and gradually the gain is increase to provide the entire compensation (as prescribed)

Sincro had something where it was automatically done, i generally prefer it manually. If the cost is not so different- get an epoq..

I had meet quite a few customers which said that the sincro is a tyring instrument.. that by the time it is 6-7 in the afternoon they simply can not be bear...

I have heard people saying that the epoq is considerable more gentle...
    this was one of the few surprises of me .... Given that the instrument
    does not really prescribe a lot compression...

I have heard a lot of people using Widex - specially the senso in the earlier days, saying the instrument was real confortable....

By the way....

ask him to check MEMORY (datalogging), try to have him see what sort
    of enviroment you are facing so he can make appropiate changes...

have him use sound studio to fine tune the instrument (the sound library)...

Have him run soft, medium and loud sounds

and finally ask him to perform REM on you.. (see our posts on what is rem)

Default Softer Domes

Hi hotdog654321

My Audi was telling me about one of his clients that was particularly sensitive, so he completely removed the dome from the tube (open fit BTE), and the guy (an M.D.) is happy as a clam. Just a thought. Good luck.

Dag

Default New to Oticon Spirit3/Syncro HAs and struggling

I visited my audiologist yesterday, having printed out Xbulder's helpful comments to guide me. Unfortunately every time I go to the hospital I see a different one. However, yesterday's was a chief audiologist and I felt that she listened to me more than the other about my experiences.

As it stands under the UK health system, this is the HA that's prescribed. Apparently it varies a little from the Syncro, but uses the same software. I mentioned that for me there was little clarity in the midrange where I need it. Indeed she decided to check my audiogram by testing me at the 750mz level which hadn't been done. (Link to scanned audiogram here: http://www.johnflood.co.uk/summersch...am_Jan2008.pdf)

The other thing the audi did was to change the tips from tulips/dome to elephant ears which are soft flaps. I will experiment with both.

She did a lot more adjusting than the first time around. We cut more of the high end and boosted the middle. She took the program up to level 3 for me, but cut the volume a bit. She also boosted the left ear high end because that 's not so good as the right ear.

She said she couldn't do REM testing because they had been getting a high number of errors. Apparently some Australian group has been doing research in this area. The hospital hopes to get a new machine before long, then I'll be tested.

She also told me how to clean them which the previous audi hadn't done and gave me spare tips of both kinds.

She confirmed Xbulder's idea of the epoq too. I will have to think about this.

In all I feel better after yesterday's consultation than I did after the first, both mechanically and personally. I went in feeling frustrated and irritated and came out feeling happier. I have also requested that next time I go back I see this audi again. She was happy with that, despite the fact that I must seem an awkward bloke at times.....

Now comes the interesting bit. I will be out of the UK until the end of May in Miami, so I can't have any follow up testing until I return. So what I've got at the moment is what I must use. The next several months will be time of experiment and adjustment.

Thank you for all your help. John

if you do get the epoq get them rite with an micromold

you muight have serious recruitment.. given this steep loss

defineteyl the epoq would do better, the true dynamics will make the aid

considerable confortable...

Another tip, could be to measure the UCL per frequency... this could change
    }
    th compresion parameters....

Question Epoch verses Tego Pro

Quote Originally Posted by xbulder
    if you do get the epoq get them rite with an micromold

you muight have serious recruitment.. given this steep loss

defineteyl the epoq would do better, the true dynamics will make the aid

considerable confortable...

Another tip, could be to measure the UCL per frequency... this could change
    }
    th compresion parameters....
    Xbldr you seem to have had a lot of experience fitting Tego Pro's. I am into my first set of HA's; (1-1/2 years) they are Tego Pro BTE's with deep tight molds. They work well except for in such places as resturants where lots of people are chatting away. Then it is very difficult to understand speech. Do you know if the the Epoch's work any better in such places? I am considering them also because they have blue tooth and wonder if they work well with my blue tooth cell phone.

there is a world of difference between the tego pro and the epoq,
    audiologically speaking..... SOme of the improvement over the tego are
    datalogging, datalearning, true dynamics (similar to what GN has), tri state noise reduction.. etc My suggestion have your audi program a couple and
    walk out the office in a busy street.. Most my clients which had syncros has upgraded them to epoq