Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Power BTE

Wink Thanks a bunch!

Thanks so much for all the input (pun intended). You guys are the greatest!

Quote Originally Posted by ZCT
    The question is how much of that gain is usable. The Starkey aid I mentioned has one of the most advanced feedback canceling systems in the world. So while on paper it may lack 4-5 dB of gain of these aids, if more of that gain is actually accessible in real life then perhaps it's a better choice.

My BMW has 28 horse power less than the Acura I used to own. But with rear wheel drive, better traction control, and better weight distribution it seems faster and certainly handles better. In hearing aid terms lab tested gain is all well and good, but if you can't use it, it is useless.
    do you have the studies or papers which compare the feedback manager of all the super power?. How many channels does the starkey aid has?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZCT
    Starkey produce one of the most powerful BTEs around, with over 80dB of usable gain coupled with one of the most advanced feedback control systems around. If you are power hungry, I'd get a trial of a set of these. I've fitted some really tough cases with them, and they are outstanding.

It's called the Destiny 1200 Power Plus.
    I have severe/profound loss in both ears but I wear only one aid in the left ear.

I just got fitted with this hearing aid this past weekend, and I have to say it's ok...power wise. The sound quality is about the same as my analog Phonak Superfront (2003), when I know I go up better. The noise reduction is too sensitive, cutting out at inappropriate times and when I drive, there's a very high pitched whistling/trilling sound. The only thing is that I still get some feedback if I go any higher than 3, despite the fact I'm wearing a "closed" mold creating some occlusion.

I don't have my chart at hand...but my loss has gone done by 5%, prolly due to aging and I've worn hearing aids since I was 2 years old. (I'm 49 now)

I can't find the output/gain specs on the Starkey, but I did see that Oticon Sumo has 144dB output, and 85dB gain. That's pretty powerful, considering my Phonak is about 140-142dB w/80db gain.

Maybe I should try the Oticon Sumo to compare with this Starkey?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by xbulder
    do you have the studies or papers which compare the feedback manager of all the super power?. How many channels does the starkey aid has?
    I believe Starkey has 8 channels..and 4 bands.

not to advance right?

I know Supero has a integrated real ear measurement just like the Starkey.. But I think supero has been around a really long time...

Phonak did not stressed this feature so much... @ least I never read it in a magazine in a trade show..

Quote Originally Posted by lmbee59
    I have severe/profound loss in both ears but I wear only one aid in the left ear.

I just got fitted with this hearing aid this past weekend, and I have to say it's ok...power wise. The sound quality is about the same as my analog Phonak Superfront (2003), when I know I go up better. The noise reduction is too sensitive, cutting out at inappropriate times and when I drive, there's a very high pitched whistling/trilling sound. The only thing is that I still get some feedback if I go any higher than 3, despite the fact I'm wearing a "closed" mold creating some occlusion.

I don't have my chart at hand...but my loss has gone done by 5%, prolly due to aging and I've worn hearing aids since I was 2 years old. (I'm 49 now)

I can't find the output/gain specs on the Starkey, but I did see that Oticon Sumo has 144dB output, and 85dB gain. That's pretty powerful, considering my Phonak is about 140-142dB w/80db gain.

My first question here is how well has the aid been programmed? There are thousands of programming permutations with this aid, including control over how the background noise is handled.

Wearing an aid like this for less than a week, without having a series of follow up appointments, and expert programming cannot possibly determine the fitting success of this instrument. It certainly seems premature to be talking about dumping it for another aid.

I believe Starkey has 8 channels..and 4 bands.
    The 1200 Power Plus actually has 8 channels and 12 bands. Of course this number is not necessarily any indication of sound quality, and more bands/channels does not necessarily translate to a better aid.

i would ask the audi to get both instrument so you can demo what is best.. if you have use HI before I would let your ear decide...