Thread: Stapedectomy surgeon in the Chicago area? Need recommendation

Question Stapedectomy surgeon in the Chicago area? Need recommendation

Hello everyone,

As the subject line of my post indicates, I am a candidate for stapedectomy surgery and I am looking for a referral. I need a surgeon that accepts Medicaid patients. I can't afford much out of pocket.

I'm willing to drive pretty much anywhere in the state of Illinois if someone is recommended highly enough.

Thanks in advance, all!
    Hidden Content
    Age 29
    Progressive hearing loss due to Hidden Content

2. Default

I don't know Chicago doctors but do you have a university hospital and you could look up otologists or neurolotologists and see who does a lot of stapedectomies and go online to your state medical board and read a little about their background for one thing. Does your family or local ENT have any ideas at all?

Quote Originally Posted by lindamce View Post
    I don't know Chicago doctors but do you have a university hospital and you could look up otologists or neurolotologists and see who does a lot of stapedectomies and go online to your state medical board and read a little about their background for one thing. Does your family or local ENT have any ideas at all?
    Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty much doing this on my own. I just recently received Medicaid coverage and I haven't even seen my new PCP yet (I have an appointment for next week, though). I also haven't even seen a proper ENT for about 4-5 years. I obtained my hearing aids from Costco and have been working with one of their audiologists.

Anyway, I actually *did* look at the University of Chicago - Medicine for a possible surgeon, and I found one. However, I have been told that he is not currently accepting patients. So now I am looking at private practices. Unfortunately, it seems like many of them are focused at least as much on plastic surgery as they are on reconstruction, and that makes me uncomfortable. Obviously, I'd prefer someone whose focus is not cosmetic.

I'll keep doing my research. I will also ask my PCP next week if he has any recommendations or resources.
    Hidden Content
    Age 29
    Progressive hearing loss due to Hidden Content

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Desy View Post
    Hello everyone,

As the subject line of my post indicates, I am a candidate for stapedectomy surgery and I am looking for a referral. I need a surgeon that accepts Medicaid patients. I can't afford much out of pocket.

I'm willing to drive pretty much anywhere in the state of Illinois if someone is recommended highly enough.

Thanks in advance, all!
    Hey Desy,
    I'm wondering if you were successful in your search for a doc who accepts medicaid. Also wondering if they deem stapedectomy "medically necessary." I also have hearing loss/otosclerosis and need surgery and I also just got Medicaid. Trying to figure out if this surgery is covered. Thanks for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Desy View Post
    Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance, all!
    Hey Desy,
    I'm wondering if you were successful in your search for a doc who accepts medicaid. Also wondering if they deem stapedectomy "medically necessary." I also have hearing loss/otosclerosis and need surgery and I also just got Medicaid. Trying to figure out if this surgery is covered. Thanks for your help!