Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has any of you ever had hearing loss from taking advil?

I suspect that my hearing loss may have been caused by a "mycin" antibiotic. Because it is a relatively mild loss, it wasn't like a dramatic sudden loss that a person would notice. And now that you mention advil, I was taking that at the same time! This was for a tooth implant.

At the same time that this was going on, things were very stressful, taking care of a family member in home hospice, so a change in my hearing was not at the forefront. With all the stress other things were going on, like getting little sleep, etc.

This brings up another point. People may say that they have a hereditary hearing loss because grandma and mom and now daughter have it. But who's to say that the hereditary part is not a sensitivity to one or more drugs that are ototoxic. I wonder if this has ever been studied, or even considered.
    Fr 250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 8000
    L 30 35 30 25 25 35 60
    R 25 30 40 15 20 20 55

Most recent hearing test. Link here.
    Hidden Content

Resound Cala 8 hearing aids and phone clip+

Im putting my money on space aliens.

Quote Originally Posted by KerBear View Post
    It really bothers me that some medical professionals don't warn their patients about the potential side effects of ibuprofen!! Because doctors, nurse practitioners and nurses don't warn patients, people think there's nothing wrong with taking it in excessive amounts. I always told my patients that there is a maximum amount listed on the bottle for a reason!!!! As Seb and Doc Jake said, hearing loss is only one concern with excessive amounts of ibuprofen. There are many, many others.

The other thing I think is important to mention is that most general practitioners, and, in my personal experience, even ENTs, have NO idea which medications are ototoxic. It's shocking!!! I worked in the ER for years and years and we gave people ototoxic, but life-saving, medications all. the. time. Even when there were less harmful medications available, doctors usually prescribed what they were most comfortable with regardless of the patient's situation, and often, they were ototoxic drugs. Only recently have I become aware of this. Now I'm very careful to ask about medications before I take them, and even then I usually read up on new medications just to make sure. Last week my family doctor prescribed an ototoxic medication for my sinus infection. I thought it was ototoxic so I asked her to look into it, and sure enough, when she did, she discovered it was ototoxic, so she changed to a different antibiotic. So...for those of us with hearing loss, we need to advocate for ourselves.
    Don't know about the USA but here doctors and pharmacists opposed the over the counter and supermarket sale of NSAIDs like Ibuprofen. This is because they are well aware of the side effects especially when not used correctly. There are also antibiotic guidelines put out by the government to help doctors choose the best currently available antibiotic. They are written with all the potential side effects and toxicities in mind. People should also remember to tell their doctors about any herbal, naturopathic or over the counter medicines they are taking because they can interact. While it is a good idea to remind your doctor that you already have some hearing loss and ask about Ototoxicity when you are prescribed new medicines there is no need to panic. Most drugs can cause some sort of harm if abused but can be used safely if used correctly.
    Last edited by Psocoptera; 09-30-2016 at 04:07 PM.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB

Quote Originally Posted by Psocoptera View Post
    Don't know about the USA but here doctors and pharmacists opposed the over the counter and supermarket sale of NSAIDs like Ibuprofen. This is because they are well aware of the side effects especially when not used correctly. There are also antibiotic guidelines put out by the government to help doctors choose the best currently available antibiotic. They are written with all the potential side effects and toxicities in mind. People should also remember to tell their doctors about any herbal, naturopathic or over the counter medicines they are taking because they can interact. While it is a good idea to remind your doctor that you already have some hearing loss and ask about Ototoxicity when you are prescribed new medicines there is no need to panic. Most drugs can cause some sort of harm if abused but can be used safely if used correctly.
    Here in Canada, ibuprofen is still sold over the counter as is ASA. I don't believe naproxen is, but I really have no idea about the other NSAIDs as I've never really thought about it. I typically only use ibuprofen, and even then, sparingly. Now I'm curious. I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at a pharmacy. I've heard and read conflicting things about the ototoxicity of NSAIDs even with appropriate use! My current ENT told me that ibuprofen, even in appropriately prescribed doses, can be ototoxic to those who have a predisposition toward hearing loss. He has encouraged me not to use it or other NSAIDS if they're not absolutely necessary. I may have to ask him for some studies pertaining to this the next time I see him as I'm now curious about the whole issue.

Kerry
    November, 2016

250 500 1K 2K 4K 6K 8K
    R 50
    L
    30 30
    SRT: R-50, L-35
    WR: R-92% at 80 dB, L-100% at 75 dB

Wearing Oticon Alta 2 Mini RITEs since July 8/15.

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    This brings up another point. People may say that they have a hereditary hearing loss because grandma and mom and now daughter have it. But who's to say that the hereditary part is not a sensitivity to one or more drugs that are ototoxic. I wonder if this has ever been studied, or even considered.
    Dash, I think you raise an interesting point. I wonder if anyone else on this forum knows if there is formal research being conducted in that area?

Kerry

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dash View Post
    Dash, I think you raise an interesting point. I wonder if anyone else on this forum knows if there is formal research being conducted in that area?

Kerry
    November, 2016

250 500 1K 2K 4K 6K 8K
    R 50
    L
    30 30
    SRT: R-50, L-35
    WR: R-92% at 80 dB, L-100% at 75 dB

Wearing Oticon Alta 2 Mini RITEs since July 8/15.

Quote Originally Posted by KerBear View Post
    Here in Canada, ibuprofen is still sold over the counter as is ASA. I don't believe naproxen is, but I really have no idea about the other NSAIDs as I've never really thought about it. I typically only use ibuprofen, and even then, sparingly. Now I'm curious. I'll have to take a look the next time I'm at a pharmacy. I've heard and read conflicting things about the ototoxicity of NSAIDs even with appropriate use! My current ENT told me that ibuprofen, even in appropriately prescribed doses, can be ototoxic to those who have a predisposition toward hearing loss. He has encouraged me not to use it or other NSAIDS if they're not absolutely necessary. I may have to ask him for some studies pertaining to this the next time I see him as I'm now curious about the whole issue.

Kerry
    It is actually quite a difficult area to study because there are lots of factors which contribute to how the body reacts to and handles any one substance including drug factors and individual factors and effects of illness, hydration etc. Lots of things are relative and all factors need to be considered. It is all about weighing up risk versus benefit much like everything else in life.
    Carol

Linx 961>Linx2 961> Phonak Audeo V90 312T L&R
    Hz 250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 5K 6K 8K
    L 25 25 15 35 40 40 60 60 55
    R 25 25 15 30 40 35 35 55 50
    Speech
    L 83% 40dB, 100% 50dB
    R 80% 40dB, 97% 50dB

ibuprofen didnt become available in th US until 1974.. you can do your own math. Say you, mom and granny all have hearing problems and you all took advil. What else have all 3 of you done?

8. Default

It is so exceedingly unlikely that your hearing loss was caused by two days of ibuprofen that I'd forget about it. Ibuprofen is ototoxic at high doses over a prolonged period of time. There is flimsy research to show that lower dosages of ibuprofen (6x daily) would cause a lesser degree of hearing loss but again over a longer period of time.

Think about the sheer number of people who take ibuprofen for a period of two days. The statistical likelihood of low dose extended use hearing loss is tiny, but short term use? Utterly improbable.
    Bilateral sensorineural hearing loss. Mixed hearing loss in left ear with audiogram showing the "best" the glue ear has been.

Hidden Content

I had hearing loss after 2 Advil.....but that's probably because I put them in my ears. ��

- - - Updated - - -

I had hearing loss after 2 Advil.....but that's probably because I put them in my ears. 🔊

Move over, Doc Jake
    250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K Costco KS7
    R 25 50 60 60 60 50 50 50 65 SRT: 55dB WRS: 84% @85dB
    L 30 60 60 60 60 55 60 60 70 SRT: 60dB WRS: 88% @90dB