Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you know when your hearing aids are getting old?

Question How do you know when your hearing aids are getting old?

I have Unitron hearing aids that are 5 years old. My audiologist said I will know when they are wearing out, but didn't tell me what to look for. Can anyone give me some information and insight?

Also, I'm looking for the forum from someone who lives in Placerville, CA but I misplaced his/hers blog. I also live in Placerville and would like to connect with someone near.

My experience is they don't "wear out". The earmold either stops fitting properly (assuming a custom mold), or they just stop working.
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

Okay, I just didn't want to be shocked if they suddenly stopped working and I would be without hearing aids for a couple of weeks getting new ones. So, I may just get new ones and keep these for back up. Thank you for your information.

I keep all my old aids for backup. I have aids going back to the early 70's. However.... I will generally only wear the last generation back. It's funny stepping back and realizing how far technology has come. Digital has gotten increasingly better over the years, but analog in a lot of ways was still better, especially for music.
    L:75....75....70.....75.....65......60
    R: no hearing

Quote Originally Posted by JeffBowser View Post
    My experience is they don't "wear out". The earmold either stops fitting properly (assuming a custom mold), or they just stop working.

Interesting!

one of my aids stopped working. They were out of warranty. I took them in and paid $250 for repairs. We didn't know the problem yet, but that was the price. It happened to be the mic. It only took a week.

BTW, I was also told a new ear old can be made for $250 per aid.

My 9 month old HA's haven't worn out - I hope!! But my right side thin tube has given up. The little piece that holds the dome in place just "curled up" over the past few days so the dome could move out. I have spent the past 3 months driving an excursion boat part time and the right side of my head is exposed to the sun off and on during the day. It is possible the sun exposure caused this plastic piece to curl? Simple solution to just replace the tubes which I just did. I went ahead and replaced the left one also just to keep them the same age.
    Ed

Phonak Bolero Q90 P
    ComPilot/TV Link S w/plug in remote microphone

---250---500---1k---2k---3k---4k---6k---8k
    L--20----15----10---20---40---50---40---45
    R--20----20----10---20---45---50---40---50

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cjpines View Post
    I have Unitron hearing aids that are 5 years old. My audiologist said I will know when they are wearing out, but didn't tell me what to look for. Can anyone give me some information and insight?

Also, I'm looking for the forum from someone who lives in Placerville, CA but I misplaced his/hers blog. I also live in Placerville and would like to connect with someone near.
    Hearing aids can "grow old" in several senses. If they malfunction multiple times, that's one aspect. Especially when you're out of warranty, this can get expensive. Another aspect is that technology and features improve over time. At some point, it's possible that a newer hearing aid might offer you an improved hearing experience. One example: many hearing aids now are nano-coated to supply more resistance to moisture.

i've had an Oticon Epoq for around 4 years. It has been sent back for repair several times. I'm currently trialling a Unitron Moxi 2 - 20 aid. So far, I haven't noticed a huge difference between its sound and my Epoq's, but I like some of its features better, such as the Moxi's UDirect 2 streamer's ability to invoke my smartphone's Google Now screen. I'm not sure if my Oticon Streamer (original version) can do that.

I currently use a pair off Phonak's and custom ear molds in both ears. They are about 5 years old now and still 100%. I get new ear molds ever 16 months. My old pair off HA's [DigiFocus] which I still have are almost 12 years old. Only one works though, the left one will not switch on. I must look in to sending it of for refurbishment as its handy to have a spare pair. Cant afford any news one so hopeful I will not be giving bad news about the old ones.... when ever I send them off.

My Audi told me people usually update around every 5 years. It doesn't mean that they are bad its just that technology has pasted your old ones by. She also recommended to keep the old ones for backup.

10. Default

My Oticon Agil Pro HA's are about 5 years old. The major "geriatric" problem with them is that the directional mode no longer works. It uses two microphones that must be exactly matched in sensitivity. As the HA ages the microphone matching drifts because of wear, or crud and the directional algorithm no longer works.
    Hz-> 250 . 500 .1000 . 1500 . 2000 . 3000 . 4000 . 8000
    L -->
    15 .. 20 . 60 . . 65 . . 66 . . 70 . . 75 . . 85
    R
    --> 20 .. 25 . 45 . . 50 . . 60 . . 60 . . 70 . . 75

Oticon Agil Pro (New in 2011)