Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 57

Thread: What is the #1 Reason

  1. #21

    Default

    I was told May 8 I need hearing aids, and now nearly 4 months later have not have a successful fitting. 1st set returned within the 30day trial, audi was mad but wouldn't see me within that time frame for (re)programming, no REM, no measurement for domes (killed me) or tubes, no wipes, brushes, missing case. 2nd pair HIS refused to make adjustments, program according to audiograms he hadn't done (his disagreed with 2 priors), or run REM. Hoping next audi (same place) is the charm as if not, I will return these too and may forget it completely. I can't imagine having the energy to continue this painful process if I were even 5 yrs older than I am now (52). Completely worn out and demoralized by it all.
    shredbetty61

    Freq Left Right
    250 20 20
    500 25 25
    750 45 40
    1000 55 60
    2000 55 55
    3000 50 50
    4000 35 35
    6000 35 20
    8000 30 15

    Costco Quintra closed dome

  2. Default

    Thanks Seb, I think I'm going to see if they can revive my old hearing aids.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    If you send the hearing aids in for repairs yourself you can save a bunch of money. you can send them to www.DirectHearingAidServices.com who are fast, thorough, and very fair on the price or if you live near Garden Grove, CA you can drop them off and they will give you a quote after they troubleshoot them. Most audiologist make money sending the aids in for you and basically all they do is put them in a box and mail them off to basically the same place or the manufacturer for repair. I know a retired audiologist who told me he used to charge at least $100 for his trouble to send them in once they were out of warranty.
    Not questioning your recommendation of the repair place or your experience with audiologists, but IMO no ethical audiologist would charge anything besides the passed-on costs of shipping and repair. Now if you want the audiologist to try to diagnose the problem, it might be a different story, particularly if he/she isn't the Audi from whom you bought the HA. This has been my experience.
    Deaf in left ear.

    Hz..0250...0500...0750...1000...1500...2000...3000 ...4000...6000...8000
    R....65.....70.....75.....80.....80.....85.....90. ....95.....100.....NR
    L....NR........................................... .....................

    Word recognition: 68%, dBHL 95
    SRT 70, MCL 90, UCL 115

    Current HA: Oticon Epoq
    Trialled: Unitron Moxi2-20 - Returned
    Trialled: Oticon Alta (not Pro) - Returned
    Trialled: Oticon Agil - Returned
    Trialling: Oticon Chili (super-power BTE)

  4. Default

    And why can't we return them ourselves to the manufacturer? Especially while they're under warranty? Are we too stupid to know that they're broken? Is it because they're medical devices and not "electronics"? I have not once had mine "fixed" by the audiologist. Every time she has had to send them back. And she charges me for it, as I didn't buy the HAs from her. And I waste half a day, dropping them off, picking them up... All of those ads that champion "aids for an active lifestyle" sure think we have bunches of time for driving to the audiologist's office.

    But as to why people don't buy hearing aids... I think there's something lurking underneath the cost problems, and the vanity issues. I think it's something about surrendering to disability and surrendering to aging/sickness/coming closer to death. I think it's sitting in a psychological place where people aren't quite aware of it. It's like how I would like to learn sign language, just in case things progress and I need it, and yet every time I think, "I'll sign up for class," I get a panicky feeling, and I don't sign up.
    My audiogram:

    250 R30 L35
    500 R40 L50
    1K R50 L50
    2K R50 L50
    3K R50 L50
    4K R40 L40
    6K R20 L25
    8K R5 L10

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gbp View Post
    Not questioning your recommendation of the repair place or your experience with audiologists, but IMO no ethical audiologist would charge anything besides the passed-on costs of shipping and repair. Now if you want the audiologist to try to diagnose the problem, it might be a different story, particularly if he/she isn't the Audi from whom you bought the HA. This has been my experience.
    seriously? private AuDs are not a charity

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gbp View Post
    Not questioning your recommendation of the repair place or your experience with audiologists, but IMO no ethical audiologist would charge anything besides the passed-on costs of shipping and repair. Now if you want the audiologist to try to diagnose the problem, it might be a different story, particularly if he/she isn't the Audi from whom you bought the HA. This has been my experience.
    seriously? private AuDs are not a charity

  6. #26

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sortofcookiebiter View Post
    And why can't we return them ourselves to the manufacturer? Especially while they're under warranty? Are we too stupid to know that they're broken? Is it because they're medical devices and not "electronics"? I have not once had mine "fixed" by the audiologist. Every time she has had to send them back. And she charges me for it, as I didn't buy the HAs from her. And I waste half a day, dropping them off, picking them up... All of those ads that champion "aids for an active lifestyle" sure think we have bunches of time for driving to the audiologist's office.

    But as to why people don't buy hearing aids... I think there's something lurking underneath the cost problems, and the vanity issues. I think it's something about surrendering to disability and surrendering to aging/sickness/coming closer to death. I think it's sitting in a psychological place where people aren't quite aware of it. It's like how I would like to learn sign language, just in case things progress and I need it, and yet every time I think, "I'll sign up for class," I get a panicky feeling, and I don't sign up.
    I just can't understand why an AuD would charge someone who didn't buy their aids from them to spend time ($$$) on a non-customer.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sortofcookiebiter View Post
    And why can't we return them ourselves to the manufacturer? Especially while they're under warranty? Are we too stupid to know that they're broken? Is it because they're medical devices and not "electronics"? I have not once had mine "fixed" by the audiologist. Every time she has had to send them back. And she charges me for it, as I didn't buy the HAs from her. And I waste half a day, dropping them off, picking them up... All of those ads that champion "aids for an active lifestyle" sure think we have bunches of time for driving to the audiologist's office.

    But as to why people don't buy hearing aids... I think there's something lurking underneath the cost problems, and the vanity issues. I think it's something about surrendering to disability and surrendering to aging/sickness/coming closer to death. I think it's sitting in a psychological place where people aren't quite aware of it. It's like how I would like to learn sign language, just in case things progress and I need it, and yet every time I think, "I'll sign up for class," I get a panicky feeling, and I don't sign up.
    I just can't understand why an AuD would charge someone who didn't buy their aids from them to spend time ($$$) on a non-customer.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    seriously? private AuDs are not a charity
    Who said they were? If it isn't the patient's Audi, then they can simply refuse to accept the HA or openly disclose they are adding their own fee besides passing on the costs. I'll qualify my statement to say that if the Audi discloses this, IMO there isn't an ethics issue.

    i gather you're not in private practice or don't understand that besides a minimal time involved in ascertaining the make and serial number as well as getting an RMA from the manufacturer, packing it up and shipping it, there's potential for a new customer and/or other possible positive results from this kind of customer service. (Naturally, the patient or potential patient would pay the shipping charges.)

    That's not charity, that good business.
    Deaf in left ear.

    Hz..0250...0500...0750...1000...1500...2000...3000 ...4000...6000...8000
    R....65.....70.....75.....80.....80.....85.....90. ....95.....100.....NR
    L....NR........................................... .....................

    Word recognition: 68%, dBHL 95
    SRT 70, MCL 90, UCL 115

    Current HA: Oticon Epoq
    Trialled: Unitron Moxi2-20 - Returned
    Trialled: Oticon Alta (not Pro) - Returned
    Trialled: Oticon Agil - Returned
    Trialling: Oticon Chili (super-power BTE)

  8. Default

    I'm certainly not faulting my audi for charging me to send the HAs in. She's spending time with me. I'm questioning the model of the industry that says I cannot send in my own electronic device that is under warranty. I remember the first time I had to send one in. My husband's hard drive failed the same day. I called the audi (at this point I hadn't left the one from whom I'd bought the HAs), drove to the office, which took an hour and a half because of construction traffic, turned around and drove the same hour and a half home. My husband called the computer company, got an RMA, walked half a block to FedEx, and came home. When his hard drive was fixed, it arrived on our doorstep. When my HA was fixed, no one would tell me what had been wrong with it, and I had to repeat that drive. That was when I started thinking I needed a closer audiologist. Luckily I didn't know about the denial of service many people find when looking for someone to help them from whom they didn't purchase their aids, and I have had not had that problem.
    My audiogram:

    250 R30 L35
    500 R40 L50
    1K R50 L50
    2K R50 L50
    3K R50 L50
    4K R40 L40
    6K R20 L25
    8K R5 L10

  9. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gbp View Post
    Who said they were? If it isn't the patient's Audi, then they can simply refuse to accept the HA or openly disclose they are adding their own fee besides passing on the costs. I'll qualify my statement to say that if the Audi discloses this, IMO there isn't an ethics issue.

    i gather you're not in private practice or don't understand that besides a minimal time involved in ascertaining the make and serial number as well as getting an RMA from the manufacturer, packing it up and shipping it, there's potential for a new customer and/or other possible positive results from this kind of customer service. (Naturally, the patient or potential patient would pay the shipping charges.)

    That's not charity, that good business.
    really are folks that 'slow' that they think a private AuD is going to take a non-customers aid, call the company, pack and box the aid, haul a$$ to the PO, insurance it and track it.. then receive it back and call the non-customer just out of the kindness of their heart? field a 1/2 dz call from the non-customer wanting to know how soon their aid will be back. then when the aid goes missing in shipment who has to deal with it? there are several highly recommended aid repair folks on the web. give them your business.

    if it's under warranty take it to the AuD you bought it from and let them handle it.
    Last edited by Doc Jake; 08-26-2014 at 10:35 AM.

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    Have you had REM testing done? If not tell your audi you want it. The natural sound or hearing part might be the HA's, they might not be the ones for you.
    Seb, I'm not sure if I have had REM testing done sine I'm not sure what it is. Can you please tell what this is? I have an appointment tomorrow and I will ask about it because with all the money i'm spending i want them to be the correct ones i need.
    250 -- 500 -- 1K -- 2K -- 4K -- 8K
    L 65 -- 65---- 65 -- 60 -- 55 -- 55

    R 50 -- 55 --- 60 -- 50- --55 -- 55

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •