Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phonak Naida Review/Rant/Fustrations LoL

1. Default Phonak Naida Review/Rant/Fustrations LoL

I have been wearing the Phonak Naida 5 BTE's in both ears for the past 2 weeks.
    Its been a trying experience. I have been deaf since age 5 with a severe to profound hearing loss and have worn analog aids until now I'm 25. My sister's dog ate my last hearing aid the Starkey Sequel BTE which is why I'm in this predicament now.
    I tried the new Starkey destiny 1600 power plus aid and it was horrible b/c of the compression, it kept cutting off. Then I tried the Oticon Sumo DM which wasnt too bad but when I went back in for adjustment my audi was like i just got these Naidas in lets try these. So they pack plenty of power, the telecoil is ok but not great I liked the telecoil in the Oticon better and so far the autophone feature hasnt worked. But I keep having the issue of echoing or distortion of my voice and other people on certain vowel sounds. Last adjustment decreased it but still hearing it on certain sounds.
    The only thing I cant complain about is the music program which is like surround sound in my ears. But I am afraid I am never going to get used to how quiet the ambient noises are. I keep feeling like my ears are all plugged up and I have a head cold. I wish there was a way to turn up some of the ambient noise alittle and decrease the distortion and then they would be perfect. I was thinking to try the Oticon Sumo DM's again for a longer period. I am being really picky b/c I dont want to pay 4 k for hearing aids I am not entirely happy with. But I think i am driving my audi nuts. I am just so fustrated. Any advice?

you are important.. that said if your audi is not happy or is giving you attitude ditch her...

find someone who is willing to work with you.. but have realistics expectations.

I am trying Naida's next week! I have been using Savia Arts but my hearing recently dropped to well within the profound range they don't do anything for me anymore. I don't have experience with other high powered aids but I wish you luck with whatever you choose!

Reading what you thought about the Naida was very helpful, thank you!

4. Default Naida

As an audiologist in Calgary I have to say that the Naida has been a great success in our clinic. I have fit approximately 30 of them this year and I have only had 1 person reject them. The Naida is quite complex to fit and there are many adjustments that can be made. I have found that many people enjoy the soundrecover feature however it is best to have it gradually introduced rather then introduced all at once. The noise management features can also be reduced or turned off so those of you who like hearing all the sounds around you can still experience that. It is important that you see an audiologist who is knowledgeable and has experience in fitting this particular product. Let me know if I can help you with your hearing aid and make the experience more successful.

I do have some questions....I have been fitted with two Naida V UP aids, which I have been using since the beginning of June. My hearing threshold is somewhat of a ski slope beginning at 85-90 dB in both ears and leveling off at 110 dB. I really have not understood what soundrecover is supposed to sound like. I do know the higher frequency sounds (F, S, etc) are supposed to be transposed into the usable hearing level, but I have not really heard a definitive F or equivalent....so not sure what to expect for my hearing level...maybe you can elaborate.

I currently have had 4 visits with a Phonak representative to help me adjust my aids to my preferences. It has been a mixed success though. I was able to get the background noises (humming of A/C, etc. ) reduced, but it seems it was at a disadvantage to my music sounds. I wanted to have this adjusted in my auto settings, but have my manual settings be adjusted to hear specific stuff like music* (*not entirely setup yet). Here are my current settings:

1. speech in noise
    2. Tcoil
    3. FM
    4. Fm plus mike
    5. auto (default startup)

I do have a copy of my settings, but it has been altered a little to adjust for the background noise issues.

I also have a Smartlink SX and one ML10i receiver. I am also getting a second receiver to match the current.

Maybe you can give me a plan of action for the next visit, as I will when I get my second receiver. If you want me to send a copy of my Phonak configuration, let me know. I appreciate any help you can give me.....
    ljjehl

Current hearing aids: Phonak Naida V UP
    Current ALS: Smartlink SX transmitter, Phonak ML10i receiver, Clearsounds Quattro Neckloop

6. Default

Your soundrecover can be adjusted to transpose more or less frequencies, it may be that it needs to be adjusted to include more or less frequencies. I would also recommend that you set up a music program which will reduce the amount of noise reduction and set the aids to be in an omnidirectional mode. In many situations, particularly with loud music, the aid will reduce the music thinking it is background noise. Hope this helps!

It makes sense to me...I don't think we have been down this area yet, though the music program has probably been added to my list of programs somewhere...I just don't know if it can be added in the auto mode. I will bring this up with my audiologist. Thanks!!
    ljjehl

Current ALS: Smartlink SX transmitter, Phonak ML10i receiver, Clearsounds Quattro Neckloop

8. Default

Hi -- I've got a profound loss (90 db) and have been wearing ha's for about 32 years (since I was 3 - some of us remember the "bra" days when kids wore their aids on their chest with wires going to molds in the ears!) So...one pair every 5 years, that's about 6 pairs of ha's I've gone through.

My current pair has been very frustrating. I've been trying Naida's for the past month and about to give up on them...Some observations...

1) no off button and 9-second "boot time". And no way to turn off the boot lag. ARGH!

2) high frequencies are too amplified, to the point that it makes me wince when I'm emptying the dishwasher or my 7-year old son is hollering. I've been wearing ha's for 30 years and never winced from sounds before...I did tell my audio to turn the highs way down but they're still too much.

3) difficult to hear in vehicles due to the road noise being over-amplified (again, probably high-frequency).

4) telecoil has too much electrical interference (I don't care what my audio says about it being "rare" in these, it's BAD. I just had Phonak Supero's for 5 years and they were just fine, minimal background interference, but THESE...) I have computer monitors and some overhead electrical buzz at work, and with the Superos, I was fine anywhere in my cubicle without too much buzzing, but I find myself now leaning WAY back in my chair to get away from the monitors and ceiling, and still have a problem understanding on the phone.

5)although the Icom is fun, it's annoying on how it cuts the mic off just to let you know the bluetoothed cell phone is ringing, and when there's a pause between MP3 tracks, it'll switch back to mic, and then 2 seconds later when the track starts, it'll beep back into streaming mode

6) Once in a while, if someone nearby is taking photos with a digital camera, it'll make a small "pop" noise in the aids (think of the sound the old flash bulbs made)

7) I do say the Naida's are powerful enough - probably the first hearing aid I've ever worn that actually started out being 3 or 4 levels too loud.

8)The FM mode doesn't sound right...doesn't sound the same as the mic or telecoil modes

9)I do notice I hear "sh" sounds better, but crowd environments (think "family get-together") are pretty much impossible to hear what anyone's saying...I'd be better turning the Naida's off and just going for lipreading.

And NO, I don't want a separate program for each environment (which is what my audio was trying to suggest!) With the Supero's, I had a mic, telecoil, background suppresion (great for listening to the radio in the car when no one else was around), mic+telecoil...and I was just fine.

The most annoyance I had with the Superos is that if I was whistling a tune, the feedback program would kick in and the whistling would sound a little off, but that was a very minor issue...

Why can't I just get another set like the Superos??? I don't need all the fancy bells and whistles...

I've been using ha's for 30 years and never had a model before that required tuning up. Put it on pretty much "out of the box" and match to the audiogram, check the volume level, and away you go...NOT so with the Naida's. I think I've had about 5 visits already.

Anyone have an idea for a HA that doesn't require 5 trips to get "tuned up", is digital so that it's stingy on battery power, great telecoil, sounds like what I've used for 30 years, and has enough power for a profound user (90db)?

I've got an appointment with my audio on Wednesday, and right now am feeling like I'm going to request they find me another model to try since I can't live like this for the next 5 years. Wincing when my son is excited is probably the worst...

I'm sorry to hear you are having some difficulties with the Naidas. Yes, these instruments do require a bit to get setup, as they are pretty complex as they have a lot of possibilities for adjustment and require an audiologist experience in adjusting these.

Here are my solutions to your observations on your aids:

1. The off button can be added as a "mute" button., the boot time of 9 seconds can be lessened in the iPFG setup

2. I don't think the highs were softened enough, you audiologist needs to check other parameters on the iPFG setup. Sometimes the transposition from Soundrecover can be an issue here

3. This can be adjusted with the Speech in Noise program

4. Most telecoils have this issue with electrical interference. That's why I opted for using FM with my aids, as it's superior in connecting to the sounds I want to hear, especially on my cell phone with the Smartlink SX

5. Do not have the iCom, so no solution here...sorry...

6. Have yet to hear this issue, maybe this was because of the Easy programs activated? I used to have issues with EasyFM with weird noises, but since it has been turned off, I am now just fine!

7. the default sounds can be adjusted to your hearing comfort, I had this issue too, but was able to get it set to the right loudness and the right program it boots to...

8. The FM can also be adjusted to your hearing comfort....at least that is what Phonak says that can be done. You may need to have a Phonak rep come visit with your audiologist and help you make a positive change.

9. Regarding the "sh" sounds, I feel for you, as I am trying to figure out this area too. It might be because I may have the soundrecover reduced or off. I will have to check this out...

10. Regarding separate environments, these separate environments can also be added to the auto mode, so this is a plus for us that do not want to mess with our aids constantly. I, for one, use the auto mode and it consists of the calm and speech in noise manual programs. I used to use the EasyFM with it, but got tired of the beeping that the EasyFM produces to announce its presence. Regarding the battery use, the battery on my device lasts from 10-14 days (I use the Naida V UP aids)

How much longer is your trial for your aids? That right there is the deciding point, as you don't want the trial to end and you get stuck still configuring your aids....The naidas. I think, requires a little bit longer for a trial because of the limiting factor of the audiologist experience in configuring these aids.

Hopefully you can find the perfect aid setup for your needs!!
    ljjehl

The whole point to the Naids's is all the adjustments that can be made to them, and a lot of time it takes more then one or two visits to get them right. Both you and your aud need to be patient, certainly two weeks of wearing is not enough time to adjust to the aids or determine whether you like them or not. If your AUD is already getting frustrated this early in the procedure then you need to find a new audiologist. Naida's have a great reputation but take time to adjust properly, especially when a person has a profound loss. Remember how much these things will cost and don't put up with any nonsense.