Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus Masking features. Do they work for you?

Default Tinnitus Masking features. Do they work for you?

I'm considering the Phonak 312t's from Costco. Mainly because my 'hearing damaged at birth' wife has gone from ~$10K Audiologist HA's to the ~$2K Costco HA's with very good results. (2 sets now since the dog ate the first ones. AFTER the Costco 'no questions asked' replacement warranty ran out of course!)

But the primary reason I ask this question is because the Tinnitus Masking feature is disabled on the Costco version of this HA, and I would gladly pay more for the full-featured version from our ENT if I could be reasonably assured that this feature has indeed worked for a large percentage of the patients that have/use them.

My ENT's Audiologist is EXTREMELY non-committal in regards to the effectiveness of this feature, and that gives me great concern to it's actual value.

Tinnitus seems to be one of those maladies often treated by the 'put a blindfold on, spin around and pin the tail on the donkey' remedies. From my perspective, it appears to be a "hope system" that has no real basis in science behind it. Given the vast number of sufferers, (and the cash we'd pay to free of this monkey) you'd think someone out there would have a clue by now.

There is clearly a profit in it, and we all know the medical industry's best inventions are driven by corporate greed on the backs of an idealistic and intelligent workforce. (Doctors, nurses,...audiologists, etc.)

So please...anyone and everyone who has tinnitus AND has a tinnitus masking feature on their HA's. This is your opportunity to help everyone like me. PLEASE reply with your honest and detailed appraisal of your HA's and this feature.

If you have also/or used tinnitus therapy programs like competing sonic feedback and similar programs (none of that homeopathic crap that some of us {yes, I include me} have wasted money on) I'd love to hear your recommendations pro or con.

We all thank you in advance.
    Hz 250 500 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k
    L 20 05 10 25 45 50 50 60
    R 15 10 15 40 55 70 75 80

High Pitch Tinnitus sufferer (loud cicadas...all day, every day)

2. Default

For me cognitive behavioral therapy has worked wonders in terms of tinnitus relief (group therapy, about eight sessions over the course of three months). Mainly, the cognitive behavioral therapy has provided me with better tools for dealing with my tinnitus, but the tinnitus also seem to have lessened somewhat.

It's not clear from you post whether you're currently wearing hearing aids, but for a lot of people even hearing aids without tinnitus features do provide tinnitus relief, presumably because of the increased sound input. My tinnitus is certainly worse when I take my HAs out.
    Freq 250 - 500 - 1k - 2k - 3k - 4k - 6k - 8k
    L-----0----0----10---20--55--75--85--95
    R-----0----0----10---55--65--70--100-100

Speech discrimination
    L=100%@60dB - R=88%@60dB

35 yrs old
    Oticon Agil

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    For me cognitive behavioral therapy has worked wonders in terms of tinnitus relief (group therapy, about eight sessions over the course of three months). Mainly, the cognitive behavioral therapy has provided me with better tools for dealing with my tinnitus, but the tinnitus also seem to have lessened somewhat.

It's not clear from you post whether you're currently wearing hearing aids, but for a lot of people even hearing aids without tinnitus features do provide tinnitus relief, presumably because of the increased sound input. My tinnitus is certainly worse when I take my HAs out.
    So far I have managed to live with my tinnitus, and I have learned to live with it. There are some times that it does get to me, but that is normally due to sinus colds, or if my blood pressure is high. I do use a sound machine in the bedroom. and I have a sound generator on my phone to be used the same as I would other music.
    Chuck
    Navy Vet (Service Related hearing loss)
    Hidden Content
    Oticon custom ITC Alta Pro with Streamer Pro 1.3, TV connect 2, phone connect, Streamer Mic, and IPhone app
    khz 250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    rht
    lft 25 35 50 60 70 65 65 60 50

Srt
    rht 45db
    lft 40db
    word recognition
    right 44% @90db
    left 80% @ 90db

4. Default

I've had tinnitus going on 40 years and learned to ignore it many many years ago. (The first time today that I noticed it was seeing this thread...) So I'm staying away from tinnitus maskers out of concern that they may make the tinnitus more noticeable when I'm not using the masker. That might not be a reasonable concern, but I'm not going to risk finding out.

I don't have tinnitus maskers with my HA's, but when I put my HA's on in the morning my tinnitus is basically gone until I remove the HA's at the end of the day.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

6. Default

I don't have aids with this feature yet but following this on another forum it's seems that some have success and some don't. Everyone's perception of tinnitus is different so I would suggest a trial of HA that have it and see if it works for you.
    Freq 250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    LE 35 35 40 60 65 55
    RE 40 35 35 50 65 60

I agree with seb. My HA's don't have a masker either, but when I'm wearing them I don't "hear" the tinnitus. I thought this was just in my head until a couple of weeks ago when my left HA "died" and had to be sent off for warranty. During the time it was gone the tinnitus was back and heard in my left ear only. Yesterday I got the repaired one back and instant relief from the tinnitus. I know we all are different, but this is my experience.

BTW, I asked my audi if Phonak said what was wrong with the returned HA. She said the report she got back said they replaced the electronics and the case. She agreed that seems to be their wording for they replaced the entire aid.
    Ed

Phonak Bolero Q90 P
    ComPilot/TV Link S w/plug in remote microphone

---250---500---1k---2k---3k---4k---6k---8k
    L--20----15----10---20---40---50---40---45
    R--20----20----10---20---45---50---40---50

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. I haven't been on the forum for a few months, because after my second hearing test (this one at Costco N. Austin...which was identical to my ENT's test a few months earlier) the tech told me that she felt I was not a candidate for hearing aids, and that they would not likely help my Tinnitus. Also, because of my insistence at finding some non-artificial sounding hearing aids, she didn't think I should even try some. This even though I was completely ready to buy a pair of Phonak Brios that minute. The audiologist was not in to discuss further, but I left feeling dismayed and dejected.

Fortunately, my wife (who is on her second pair of HAs from the S Austin Costco) insisted I go see the Audiologist at the S Costco she used when we lived south. After visiting with her and her techs (and an hour or so scouring the web for information) I plunked down $2600 for some Bernafon Juna 9's.

i was a DJ in my younger days, and have always considered myself to be an audiophile, and the reviews of these HAs seem to be good by the musicians and others who have passed along their experiences here and elsewhere around the web.

The Junas will be here and programmed in a month, and hopefully they will provide some relief from these dang cicadas all day. I'll report back once I have spent some time with them. Thanks again for everyone's feedback!
    Hz 250 500 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k
    L 20 05 10 25 45 50 50 60
    R 15 10 15 40 55 70 75 80

High Pitch Tinnitus sufferer (loud cicadas...all day, every day)

Thanks for that info SignHere. I have high pitch tinnitus but am lucky enough to be able to ignore it, except in a quiet setting. I did purchase a set of Phonak Brios from Costco and am happy with them. I was torn between the Brios and the Bernafon Junas. I based my decision on the fact that the Brios had an "automatic setting" program where I would not have to adjust the program for a restaurant vs being outside etc. That being said, I really did like the sound quality of the Junas and wondered if there really would be a big difference.
    I look forward to hearing your experience with them.
    JTD
    Freq.250.500...1K....2K....4K.....8K..
    Right.20..15....20.....40....70.....80...
    Left...15..20....20.....40....70.....85...
    Phonak Brio R-312

10. Default

How does tinnitus masking work?

Since the "sound" is not coming in through the ears, and in my case considering that the"sound" changes from time to time, it seems very unlikely that an effective masking technology is possible..?
    Regards,

Duncan

0250 Hz 25 25
    0500 Hz 25 35
    1000 Hz 30 45
    2000 Hz 40 50
    4000 Hz 50 75
    8000 Hz 70 95

And severe tinnitus (Does the noise in my head bother you?)

KS 7s