Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tinnitus Masking features. Do they work for you?

Blog Entries

The ringing in your ears is our brains way of feeling in the sounds that our ears are not giving it. I guess you could say it is an illusion that our brains are doing to keep it busy.
    Chuck
    Navy Vet (Service Related hearing loss)
    Hidden Content
    Oticon custom ITC Alta Pro with Streamer Pro 1.3, TV connect 2, phone connect, Streamer Mic, and IPhone app
    khz 250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    rht
    lft 25 35 50 60 70 65 65 60 50

Srt
    rht 45db
    lft 40db
    word recognition
    right 44% @90db
    left 80% @ 90db

I went to a free online wave generator at audionotch.com. It was pretty good. It helped me determine (to the best of my ability) that my left hear tinnitus was around 8500 Hz, while my right ear was closer to 7800 Hz.

I'm hoping that HA's will be able to provide my brain with enough of a signal in these areas to trick it into not 'producing' those frequencies to fill the void. From what I understand, I have about a 50-50 shot. If regular old HA's don't work, I may try a HA with the masking feature that produces these waves at a low level, and perhaps force feeding my brain these particular sound waves will temporarily stop the tinnitus.

Of course, the irony being that I don't hear ~8K+ sounds worth a darn in the real world. But they are produced in absolute stunning clarity in my brain's made-up version.

Fingers crossed here!
    Last edited by SignHere; 03-05-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: poor typing
    Hz 250 500 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k
    L 20 05 10 25 45 50 50 60
    R 15 10 15 40 55 70 75 80

High Pitch Tinnitus sufferer (loud cicadas...all day, every day)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SignHere View Post
    I went to a free online wave generator at audionotch.com. It was pretty good. It helped me determine (to the best of my ability) that my left hear tinnitus was around 8500 Hz, while my right ear was closer to 7800 Hz.

I'm hoping that HA's will be able to provide my brain with enough of a signal in these areas to trick it into not 'producing' those frequencies to fill the void. From what I understand, I have about a 50-50 shot. If regular old HA's don't work, I may try a HA with the masking feature that produces these waves at a low level, and perhaps force feeding my brain these particular sound waves will temporarily stop the tinnitus.

Of course, the irony being that I don't hear ~8K+ sounds worth a darn in the real world. But they are produced in absolute stunning clarity in my brain's made-up version.

Fingers crossed here!
    No irony at all. That's the cause of the tinnitus.
    Regards,

Duncan

0250 Hz 25 25
    0500 Hz 25 35
    1000 Hz 30 45
    2000 Hz 40 50
    4000 Hz 50 75
    8000 Hz 70 95

And severe tinnitus (Does the noise in my head bother you?)

KS 7s

I guess the true irony is...with Tinnitus being such a pervasive issue, (Three years ago Scientific American published a report that stated "Tinnitus is suffered by one in ten U.S. adults and by 40% of all veterans.") how come we don't hear more about it?

You would think that with the staggering amount of money to be made, the healthcare industry would throw more dollars at an actual and marketable therapy/solution be it surgical or external. I'd pay anything to be rid of my Tinnitus.

I sure hope HA's work for me.

There are several technologies and mask are available which is very useful for to work for the tinnitus problem, there are having some invisible device which are good for all day tinnitus relief. The prevalence of tinnitus is higher among the hearing impaired person than from the normal hearing person.
    I have seen in most of the cases that the tinnitus masking features was working.

Felipe, what specific technologies and devices are you referring to? Thanks!

First week with Oticon Nera 2Pro MiniBTE with TI feature. Given the level of tinnitus I decided it was worth the small extra to get a TI masker and I'm glad I did.
    Audiologist repeatedly stated that she doesn't normally turn on the Tinnitus masker on the first fitting.
    However after fitting the Nera she was surprised that it hadn't altered the tinnitus at all, so the feature was activated that day.
    At this stage its activated with a white noise masker. We are going to review as we learn.
    In general the HA is providing relief from the tinnitus. You don't notice it until you take the HA out of your ear and then suddenly the TI commences.
    However when its bad the masker is definitely a relief.
    The setup was quite simple, the audiologist just turned up the volume of the masker until I said it was loud enough to distract the mind from the tinnitus.
    I also can adjust the volume of the masker by the buttons on the HA.

In summary both the normal program of the HA and the TI feature has definitely helped.
    My ringing is around the 6000Hz range.
    Last edited by Weatherwatcher; 05-17-2015 at 05:26 AM.

L. Freq. R
    15. 250. 10
    25 500. 20
    35. 1000. 35
    30. 1500. 40
    30. 2000. 40
    35. 3000. 45
    35. 4000. 40
    45. 6000. 50
    55. 8000. 60

Tinnitus regularly

Oticon Nera 2 Pro mini RITE Ti

Tinnitus masking seems to be working for me. Sometimes I feel like I should change the volume but I don't have that option enabled. Over time the tinnitus goes away at the volume that it is currently set for. In fact, I recall my Audi saying to leave it at the same volume and I wouldn't hear it after a while. That seems to have happened. Only rarely do I now hear the Tinnitus when my HA's are in but even then it dissipates over time. Tinnitus is nowhere near what it was before I got my HA's and I'm happy with that. If I make the masker louder it would interfere with what I should be hearing I think. Sounds like a breeze blowing much of the time or listening to a shell at the ocean.
    Phonak V90 312T w/ Tinnitus Masker

250hz L-15 R-15

500hz L-25 R-35
    1000hz L-25 R-35
    2000hz L-25 R-30
    3000hz L-35 R-50
    4000hz L-45 R-55
    6000hz L-50 R-75
    8000hz L-60 R-95

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Demiles View Post
    I don't have aids with this feature yet but following this on another forum it's seems that some have success and some don't. Everyone's perception of tinnitus is different so I would suggest a trial of HA that have it and see if it works for you.
    Hi, I have read almost each of the reply here:
    according to research and opinion, all that matters is the correct use of the sound masking technology:

I am currently researching on this topic and have found plenty of information
    some info about sound masking through whitenoise specifically for tinnitus patients can be found here:
    http://tinnitusreliefinformation.com...e-for-tinnitus

also some useful products are listed here

http://www.whitenoisejudge.com/

hope that helps.

10. Default Why waste money on expensive treatments for tinnitus when there are other options?

I've been living with tinnitus for over 20 years and I've tried a lot of different options for the ringing in my ears, mainly herbal and over the counter treatments though. I never really thought about trying white noise masking options and sound therapy because I think it's too expensive and I can't afford it. I decided to take Lipo-Flavonoid for a spin and stray from my normal routine and I actually really like it! I was nervous that it wasn't going to work but it's helping me manage my tinnitus and decrease the ringing (which I'm extremely grateful for). Has anyone tried it, and if you have, what do you think about it? https://lipoflavonoid.com/
    Last edited by Rachel327; 08-20-2015 at 10:30 AM.