Page 48 of 52 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing Aid Practitioner employed at Costco…Ask Me Anything!!

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gamma View Post
    When is it time for hearing aids?

I am in my 30s, So I have mild to moderate loss. Below 3khz is 25 to 35 dBHL and 3khz and above is 40 to 50 dBHL at the worst. The audiologist suggested it was time to get hearing aids. But I really cant trust them as far as I can throw them. Because they are like used cars salespeople. Most of them anyway.

I would like hearing aids if they would offer noticeable improvement. I dont think my hearing is that bad, but I do have issues with people not talking clearly. It can be hard to understand people in noisy places. Ok, maybe I could use them. but I would like to see what everyone has to write about it.
    So when is time for Hearing aid? I might have to fight insurance on this one.
    I think HA would make noticeable improvement in your case.

When is it time for hearing aids? By the time you're asking that question, it means that you're already past needing hearing aids.

Not sure why you have to fight the insurance on this one. They either have coverage or they don't.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Blog Entries

You are in that marginal loss category which makes getting aids optional. If you are having trouble understanding in normal environments, you should consider them. If you think you are doing well in those environment, keep testing for the loss annually or when you notice increasing problems.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    You are in that marginal loss category which makes getting aids optional. If you are having trouble understanding in normal environments, you should consider them. If you think you are doing well in those environment, keep testing for the loss annually or when you notice increasing problems.
    Well I already have trouble understanding people, in noisy places like work the most. I notice that its easier to understand people when there is very little background noise. But I often miss what people say.

I also think might have auditory processing disorder cause ADHD and dyslexia and speech issues that I needed a speech therapist in middle and high school. Also the I tend to talk very monotone, well at least I used to, I been working on it. which doesnt help things if I do.
    "We are all going deaf, Some of us are just better at it."

Hz - L -- R

250 40 -- 30
    500 45 -- 30
    750 40 --30
    1k 35 --30
    1.5k 30 --25
    2k 30 -- 35
    3k 50 --30
    4k 25 --25
    6k 35 -- 30
    8k 25 -- 25

srt/sat 30 -- 20

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post

Not sure why you have to fight the insurance on this one. They either have coverage or they don't.
    I have coverage, I checked. $3k @ 80% every 3 years but idk they seem to fight me on everything.

Hz - L -- R

250 40 -- 30
    500 45 -- 30
    750 40 --30
    1k 35 --30
    1.5k 30 --25
    2k 30 -- 35
    3k 50 --30
    4k 25 --25
    6k 35 -- 30
    8k 25 -- 25

srt/sat 30 -- 20

5. Default

I have coverage, I checked. $3k @ 80% every 3 years but idk they seem to fight me on everything.
    Yeah, sometimes they have a R&C (reasonable and customary) clause on their coverage if the coverage doesn't have a cap on the price of the HA. For example, my coverage is 95% but there's no cap on 95% of "how much", so you don't really know what kind of HAs you can buy and for how much until it gets submitted to them and they decide whether if your submission is reasonable and customary or not. And usually the purchase contract says that if the insurance company doesn't pay their part of the bill, then you'll be left holding the bag for that amount, unless you're still within your trialing period where you can return the HAs. So you gotta be extra careful there when insurance coverage is involved. But it looks like you do have a cap of $3K so perhaps your situation may be simpler.
    HA wearer since the 1990's > Rexton Insite+ CIC (2011-2016) > Oticon OPN RITE (2016)

KHz 0.25...0.5...0.75...1.0...1.5...2.0...3.0...4.0... 6.0...8.0

Left ...10...10....10.....30.....70....75....80....95.. ..90....80
    Right .25...30....40.....55.....75....85....90....90...1 00...100

Quote Originally Posted by Volusiano View Post
    But it looks like you do have a cap of $3K so perhaps your situation may be simpler.
    I did the math, with deductible. I am looking for max benefit 4200 with me putting down 600 copay and 600 deduct, and them 3k. or max benefit 3600 with no deductible. Anything above these is out of my pocket at that point. So 4200 for 1200 co pay with duc. and 600 copay for 3600 no duc. Not bad. Assuming that I can get them at a resonable price.

Hz - L -- R

250 40 -- 30
    500 45 -- 30
    750 40 --30
    1k 35 --30
    1.5k 30 --25
    2k 30 -- 35
    3k 50 --30
    4k 25 --25
    6k 35 -- 30
    8k 25 -- 25

srt/sat 30 -- 20

7. Default

Chitownbarb: while I have only used the manual battery operated aids for 30+ years, I would shy away from rechargeable battery aids - personally! They may work fine for others with a different lifestyle, but not for me.

I travel a lot - to some exotic countries and places where I'm not even sure what the power situation would be. Just getting to these places involves flight times of 20-30 hours. So I'd hesitate to be going to a foreign country with my aids gone DEAD on the flight. Imagine explaining that to a Customs Officer. (I actually had a gal in my tour party that went through that very scenario.)

I like ultimate control over a device that is so absolutely critical to my day-to-day living. For that reason, I would similarly never go the route of Lyric, et al, where the audiologist has you come in every couple of months to change the battery. Have you ever had a *brand new* battery either DOA or die within a day or so cuz it's defective? I have. I always travel with spare batteries to last the entire length of a trip PLUS a few extra weeks. You never know if you'll be caught in a political situation or natural disaster with no access to power charges or buying batteries.

The rechargeable batteries may also wear down over time, too, as most rechargeable devices need to be used till drained, then charged up again. That whole scenario is simply unacceptable to me with my hearing loss - like I'm going to take my aids out in the middle of the day, walk around deaf as a brick for a couple hours while they charge up? Nope.

Again, different folks with different loss profiles & lifestyles than mine may be able to use rechargeable aids with JOY and freedom! But I understand what my limits are, and the yoke I wear on a daily basis that has to be taken into account.

Quote Originally Posted by chitownbarb View Post
    I am going to be purchasing hearing aids for the first time, and I'd like to know the advantages, disadvantages, and reliability of rechargeable hearing aids before I decide whether to get those or the regular battery operated ones. Has anyone had them for a while?
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

8. Default

WOW - you guys are incredibly lucky to get insurance coverage for aids! Here it is such a necessary appliance for me, but I've been on my own paying out-of-pocket with Anthem BC & BS since the git-go. I just accept my fate and PAY - cuz the insurance policy states in bold: NO COVERAGE FOR HEARING AIDS - AT ALL - EVER!

But to comment on your initial observation of wondering if aids are worth a try - I'd say GO FOR IT! One of the most valuable features on my older pair of ITE aids (Oticon Agil Pros) is that I have a program dedicated to hearing in noisy environments. This includes: malls, stores, airplanes, concerts, restaurants, noisy gatherings, on and ON! These aids are SUPERB at cutting out the background noise and letting my brain and ears focus on folks in front of me. Yes, I may miss the bartender 3 feet behind me ask, "Any more refills, ma'am?" But that is unimportant compared to hearing better than folks with NO aids in these noisy situations. In fact, my old Agil Pros still do a better job hearing in noisy places than my brand new Oticon Opn aids. So I wear them BOTH as needed. Best of all worlds.

You have zero to lose and EVERYTHING to gain by trying out aids! You have insurance coverage, an acknowledged need, and would get a trial period to see if this is the route you want to go. Let us know what you decide.

I did the math, with deductible. I am looking for max benefit 4200 with me putting down 600 copay and 600 deduct, and them 3k. or max benefit 3600 with no deductible. Anything above these is out of my pocket at that point. So 4200 for 1200 co pay with duc. and 600 copay for 3600 no duc. Not bad. Assuming that I can get them at a resonable price.
    HAs from 1985>Starkey>Phonak>AGX>Oticon Agil Pro ITE>Oticon Opn miniRITE

KHz 0.25...0.5...1.0...2.0...3.0...4.0....6.0...8.0

Left ..65....80....80....65.....65....60....65....90
    Right 65....80....80....75.....75....70....65....90

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    Chitownbarb:

The rechargeable batteries may also wear down over time, too, as most rechargeable devices need to be used till drained, then charged up again. That whole scenario is simply unacceptable to me with my hearing loss - like I'm going to take my aids out in the middle of the day, walk around deaf as a brick for a couple hours while they charge up? Nope.
    So lithium ion batteries is actually harmful to discharge them. They dont get battery a charging pattern like older battery tech. its actually better to have them charged than drained. 80-90% is where they like it the best.

And I dont know why companies start making rechargeable swappable battery units. I mean how hard is it to make a slight extension on the BTE models that replaces the battery door... Like 100 bucks more for each(cause this is hearing aids we are talking about. ... then again you can find plenty of deals for button batteries.

Hz - L -- R

250 40 -- 30
    500 45 -- 30
    750 40 --30
    1k 35 --30
    1.5k 30 --25
    2k 30 -- 35
    3k 50 --30
    4k 25 --25
    6k 35 -- 30
    8k 25 -- 25

srt/sat 30 -- 20

Quote Originally Posted by 1Bluejay View Post
    WOW - you guys are incredibly lucky to get insurance coverage for aids! Here it is such a necessary appliance for me, but I've been on my own paying out-of-pocket with Anthem BC & BS since the git-go. I just accept my fate and PAY - cuz the insurance policy states in bold: NO COVERAGE FOR HEARING AIDS - AT ALL - EVER!

You have zero to lose and EVERYTHING to gain by trying out aids! You have insurance coverage, an acknowledged need, and would get a trial period to see if this is the route you want to go. Let us know what you decide.
    Well It seems I have to fight my insurance company on a lot of things. So its not always rainbow on my end. It took 2 months to get a pre auth on double the max dose for estrogen patches.

So if I get a pair, I really want to see if the audiologist has a cheap demo pair I can test drive for a few weeks just to see the level of improvement I can get. I know that the cheap pair wont offer as much as the mid or high end, but it can give me an idea of the benifit. to see if I really am ready for them.

Hz - L -- R

250 40 -- 30
    500 45 -- 30
    750 40 --30
    1k 35 --30
    1.5k 30 --25
    2k 30 -- 35
    3k 50 --30
    4k 25 --25
    6k 35 -- 30
    8k 25 -- 25