Thread: Is there hope if you have sensorineural loss after an ear infection?

1. Default Is there hope if you have sensorineural loss after an ear infection?

Iíve read that there is almost no hope if you suffer from the sensorineural hearing loss. Still I would like to ask for your advice.

Two weeks ago, I had a right ear infection which was treated with Amoxicillin and the discharge from my ear stopped, but I still have a hearing loss.

My doctor has given me some oral Prednisolone and a course of Azithromycin and Betamethasone drops. The medicine course will finish in the next two weeks.

However, I was told I am having the sensorineural loss.

Does it mean that there is no hope for me?
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by fantasy View Post
    Iíve read that there is almost no hope if you suffer from the sensorineural hearing loss. Still I would like to ask for your advice.

Two weeks ago, I had a right ear infection which was treated with Amoxicillin and the discharge from my ear stopped, but I still have a hearing loss.

My doctor has given me some oral Prednisolone and a course of Azithromycin and Betamethasone drops. The medicine course will finish in the next two weeks.

However, I was told I am having the sensorineural loss.

Does it mean that there is no hope for me?
    Thank you
    It sounds like you had a perforated ear drum, so you might be experiencing a conductive hearing loss in addition to the sensorineural hearing loss you have. The good new is that ear drums usually heal so your hearing might improve, but if all you have is a sensorineural loss it is permanent. You need to talk to your doctor about the drops you are on because if your have punctured you tympanic membrane they can cause further sensorineural hearing loss.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

3. Default

by the way how did you get betamethasone drops was it from an ENT? I have terrible hearing loss and can't work or hear...
    azithromycin is ototoxic, you shouldn't take this or you will damage your ears and hearing
    Last edited by math13; 04-19-2015 at 01:41 PM.

My doctor recommend I get an implant as he explained it, sounds good to me but I am scared.

Blog Entries

Never hurts to get a second opinion.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    It sounds like you had a perforated ear drum, so you might be experiencing a conductive hearing loss in addition to the sensorineural hearing loss you have. The good new is that ear drums usually heal so your hearing might improve, but if all you have is a sensorineural loss it is permanent. You need to talk to your doctor about the drops you are on because if your have punctured you tympanic membrane they can cause further sensorineural hearing loss.
    Not sure how you made that leap - sounds more like a middle ear infection which may or may not be leaking stuff into the outer canal. The Antibiotics are just there to deal with the infection.

Temporary SN loss recovery can happen over time, but the mechanisms are not always clear especially as the cause of the initial loss may not be full established - Perylimph Fistuala/Transient Ischaemic Attack etc. However, if the blood supply is improved to the area, inflammation or infection reduced etc, then things can improve. This is quite different from the long term degenerative decline of presbyacusis which generally shows no signs of reversal.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content