Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Anyone else develop vitiligo?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island, USA
    Posts
    126

    Default Anyone else develop vitiligo?

    I have sshl, left ear, and now have also started with vitiligo.

    The vitiligo does run in the family; my Dad has had it since he was about 14. No one in the family has experienced hearing loss. When I googled vitiligo, many of the articles say the person is also susceptible to hearing loss; all part of the immune system gone crazy.

    Just wondered if anyone else is also dealing with vitiligo. I've had a large patch develop on my face, I could almost swear it appeared overnight a few nights back.
    Freq . L . R and 1 yr later L . R
    0250 35 05 --- 35 10
    0500 35 10 --- 35 20
    1000 15 15 --- 35 15
    2000 35 00 --- 40 10
    3000 40 00 --- 50 05
    4000 45 00 --- 60 10
    6000 80 05 --- 80 10
    8000 70 10 --- 80 15

    SRT L/R 25/5
    Level L 65/55, R 45
    Score: 100% for both

    Rexton Accord 16 2c, BTE, left ear only, trial started April 22, 2014

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Creal Springs, IL
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    I have sshl, left ear, and now have also started with vitiligo.

    The vitiligo does run in the family; my Dad has had it since he was about 14. No one in the family has experienced hearing loss. When I googled vitiligo, many of the articles say the person is also susceptible to hearing loss; all part of the immune system gone crazy.

    Just wondered if anyone else is also dealing with vitiligo. I've had a large patch develop on my face, I could almost swear it appeared overnight a few nights back.

    I do not wear HA...yet, but supposedly I was told 20 years ago I needed them. Today, accepting the fact I will get them. In the process of study on different ones.

    I was fishing on Sam Rayburn some 20+ years back. Got a LOT of sun, but not so much that I thought I would blister. Next day I blistered up bad, and perhaps was from the sunburn....but with the snap of the fingers, I had vitiligo. Over my arms, legs, and places the sun doesn't shine. I do not know if the sunburn trigger the event, but suspect it was. I was told by a doctor it's something in your gut not right, they just haven't figured it out yet. Has pretty much stayed the same over the years.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Rhode Island, USA
    Posts
    126

    Default

    Thanks for that info, jcummins. I'd not read anything online about vitiligo being related to either sunburn or something in the gut. I'll have to search with those topics in the search parameters.

    All I've found is that it is an autoimmune disease, part of autoimmune syndrome, and hereditary. It seems to be triggered by stress; and it does progress over time. Interesting that yours has remained the same over the years.

    Best finding some HAs. This forum is a wealth of information as you work on that.
    Freq . L . R and 1 yr later L . R
    0250 35 05 --- 35 10
    0500 35 10 --- 35 20
    1000 15 15 --- 35 15
    2000 35 00 --- 40 10
    3000 40 00 --- 50 05
    4000 45 00 --- 60 10
    6000 80 05 --- 80 10
    8000 70 10 --- 80 15

    SRT L/R 25/5
    Level L 65/55, R 45
    Score: 100% for both

    Rexton Accord 16 2c, BTE, left ear only, trial started April 22, 2014

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Creal Springs, IL
    Posts
    212

    Default

    Hereditary not in my case. It is perhaps a bit worse, but not to any major degree. My face was spared, but other aging of my skin is taking a tow. Have become that old man, that I don't want to be.

    And yes. Find information here very interesting reading. I'm past due for HA, and I've realized that for about a year now. So it's become a must do.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    327

    Default

    This is really interesting. I've never heard of an association between vitiligo and hearing loss, but I just Googled both, and a quick scan seems to reveal a connection according to peer reviewed journals. I'm going to have to ask my Father-in-Law if he has vitiligo. He has a pretty significant SNHL with no obvious vitiligo on his face or hands, but I'm definitely curious.
    November, 2016

    250 500 1K 2K 4K 6K 8K
    R 50
    55
    55
    50
    45
    50
    65
    L
    30 30
    35
    30
    30
    30
    25
    SRT: R-50, L-35
    WR: R-92% at 80 dB, L-100% at 75 dB

    Wearing Oticon Alta 2 Mini RITEs since July 8/15.

  6. #6

    Default

    there has to be a connection between hearing loss and the use of tp.. every person for 30 years admitted they used tp.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Jake View Post
    there has to be a connection between hearing loss and the use of tp.. every person for 30 years admitted they used tp.
    Sorry to burst in on this thread, but... 'TP'?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Manassas, VA
    Posts
    1,414

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Plasticmask View Post
    Sorry to burst in on this thread, but... 'TP'?
    Jake being Jake.
    ReSound Cala 8 (RIE 312 battery), Phone Clip +, TV Streamer 2 from Costco

    previously -
    Phonak Brio R-312T, ComPilot, TVLink S from Costco
    Kirkland KS6, Phone Clip +, TV Streamer 2 from Costco

    Freq R L
    250 30 35
    500 40 40
    750 40 40
    1000 40 40
    1500 25 35
    2000 35 30
    3000 50 40
    4000 50 50
    6000 75 60
    8000 80 80

  9. Default

    >>I have sshl, left ear, and now have also started with vitiligo.

    The vitiligo does run in the family; my Dad has had it since he was about 14. No one in the family has experienced hearing loss. When I googled vitiligo, many of the articles say the person is also susceptible to hearing loss; all part of the immune system gone crazy.

    Just wondered if anyone else is also dealing with vitiligo. I've had a large patch develop on my face, I could almost swear it appeared overnight a few nights back.>>>

    --------------------------

    I am. Had vitiligo for some time and also alopecia prior to hearing problem. SHL happened in right ear over a period of 3 months.

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KerBear View Post
    This is really interesting. I've never heard of an association between vitiligo and hearing loss, but I just Googled both, and a quick scan seems to reveal a connection according to peer reviewed journals. I'm going to have to ask my Father-in-Law if he has vitiligo. He has a pretty significant SNHL with no obvious vitiligo on his face or hands, but I'm definitely curious.

    vitiligo and hearing loss is one of the sickness that really saddened me. both can lessen someone's self-confidence which is really sad to feel. i just hope that there is an institutions out there that will extend a hand more to reach for those people who are experiencing this kind of sickness.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •