Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hearing Aid Dryer

Default Hearing Aid Dryer

I put my Aids in Hal-Hen, Mini Super Dri-Air before retiring for the night. When I first got my aids the Audi said to remove the batteries before placing them in the dryer and naturally leave them open. Now the Audi said, just open them up but I can leave the batteries in them. What's the correct/best way to leave them in the Dryer overnight?

Blog Entries

I've always left them in and never saw batteries deteriorate.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

Like I said, originally they had me taking the bats. out and leaving the doors open. Than they said, just open the doors and leave them in. Now we're back to taking them out and leaving the doors open.

Quote Originally Posted by csb View Post
    Like I said, originally they had me taking the bats. out and leaving the doors open. Than they said, just open the doors and leave them in. Now we're back to taking them out and leaving the doors open.

It's totally up to you, either leave them in or take them out. As to battery life it doesn't really do anything to extend or shorten it.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

5. Default

I looked at the plastic tubs that Beltone carries, they keep them on their counter up front. Looked to be a plastic jar with a screw-on lid, filled with basically a shaped bag of silica gel desiccant. So what I did was I got two really large bags of silica gel from work and brought them home to place in a container to keep by my bed. I think the thing about the battery compartment is mainly that you will want to open the compartment so that any moisture will hopefully be taken out overnight; unsure what the significance of actually removing them would be unless it's a matter of opening the compartment up more fully?
    Last edited by Plasticmask; 08-13-2015 at 07:17 AM. Reason: learned how to spell 'desiccant' today

you folks are way over-thinking these things.

I have been using the Serene Innovations ReNew Hearing Aid Dryer. It is plug in and requires nothing but electricity to work. Put the HA's in it and push the button (two buttons if you want to turn on the UV Light which runs for one hour).

For the past year and a half I took the batteries out each night and a few weeks ago I got lazy and just opened up the battery door and left the batteries in during the night's drying. One thing I noticed over a 3 week period, the battery life decreased from 7 days to 5 days. I then started taking the batteries out at night and life went back up to 7 days.

Does the warming involved with the electric drying decrease battery life? I don't know, but it does seem that way based on 3 sets of batteries. I just take the batteries out at night again.

I do not like the idea of having to buy drying bricks/blocks forever. Electricity is much much easier.
    Ed

Phonak Bolero Q90 P
    ComPilot/TV Link S w/plug in remote microphone

---250---500---1k---2k---3k---4k---6k---8k
    L--20----15----10---20---40---50---40---45
    R--20----20----10---20---45---50---40---50

Blog Entries

I had this fancy UV and replaceables that also added heat. It ate my aids by overheating. Took a major factory repair to get working again. I use the can with descant now. It $10 bucks and is renewed in the microwave. KISS works.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by KenP View Post
    I had this fancy UV and replaceables that also added heat. It ate my aids by overheating. Took a major factory repair to get working again. I use the can with descant now. It $10 bucks and is renewed in the microwave. KISS works.
    Thank you for the tip, didn't know desiccant was renewable in the microwave! Guess I can tell the ladies at work they can stop collecting it for me when the drug shipments come in, now

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticmask View Post
    Thank you for the tip, didn't know desiccant was renewable in the microwave! Guess I can tell the ladies at work they can stop collecting it for me when the drug shipments come in, now
    Not all desiccant is renewable in the microwave. Make sure you have the right type before zapping it.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25