Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Hearing Aid Dryer

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seb View Post
    Not all desiccant is renewable in the microwave. Make sure you have the right type before zapping it.

    Found this online:
    Place the silica gel in a microwave safe container. Set the container inside the microwave.

    Heat the silica gel for three to five minutes on medium to medium high.

    Examine the silica gel for color change, which will occur when it is recharged or dry. If it is not dry, stir with a spoon and place back into the microwave for an additional three to five minutes.

    Continue checking it for color change and microwaving for three to five minutes until the gel is dry. Let the silica gel cool to room temperature in the microwave-safe container.


    Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how_5035187_rech...ilica-gel.html

    Hope it helps! And thank you

  2. #12

    Default

    Many of the hearing aids have an IP67 rating. It means they are pretty much impervious to dust and can be submerged to a limited depth for a period of time. If your aids have the IP rating, you don't need the desiccant according to the manufacturer.
    Brad
    SRT
    70 db R/15 db L
    WR
    R 56% at 65db/L 100% at 60db

    Freq. 250 500 750 1K 1.5K 2K 3k 4k 6k 8k
    L 15 5 15 20 20 0 15 40 105 95
    R 15 35 50 55 55 50 50 60 80 100

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Plantation, FL
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Sounds tome like y'all create complications, it was likely 20 years ago I built a small plywood box, lined it with cork. I placed an electric socket in one end to hold a 7 w bulb, in the other end I placed a small plastic tray with rice in it. Now for 20 years I have placed my hearing aids in this little box when I go to bed, I never turn the light out, the temperature inside the stays a constant 90. All moisture is dried over night, the rice continues to absorb it and the bulb dries the rice. Simple, no bells or whistles.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hutto,Texas
    Posts
    1,047
    Blog Entries
    12

    Default

    I use the dry and store that was given to my by the VA for my aids, I don't remove the batteries I just open the battery doors. It works great, and I get 8 days out of the 312 batteries. And I wear my aids an average of 14 hrs a day.
    Chuck
    Navy Vet (Service Related hearing loss)
    Hidden Content
    Oticon custom ITC Alta Pro with Streamer Pro 1.3, TV connect 2, phone connect, Streamer Mic, and IPhone app
    khz 250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    rht
    20
    35
    55
    75
    80
    70
    70
    60
    55
    lft 25 35 50 60 70 65 65 60 50

    Srt
    rht 45db
    lft 40db
    word recognition
    right 44% @90db
    left 80% @ 90db

  5. #15

    Default

    I just got first time new aids and was told to take the battery out before placing them in the jar with the compartment open. After I learned that the battery life for mine is 3-4 days based on 16 or so hrs of use I thought, what the heck could happen to a battery in that time? Not much I would imagine in silica gel. Just my opinion.

  6. Default

    I think the consensus around here is that it doesn't significantly effect your batteries if you put them in a HA dryer.
    Evil Scientist

    250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K

    L 10 10 20 40 55 55 60 60

    R 10 20 40 80 75 70 70 60

  7. Default

    Maybe you should take out the battery as well as leaving the door open. To my surprise, after wearing my BTE's most of the day, I opened the battery door and saw moisture on the battery mounting bracket. I was shocked! There was no reason for it. I was not in any rain, I was out once in the cold to check the mail and that was it, I stayed dry indoors all day, I had not been sweating. There was absolutely no reason I could figure as to why the moisture formed. I put them in a dryer every night. I did not notice any moisture in the morning but I wasn't looking for any either. This is really a curious find???? I may take this to a new thread.

    Can anyone give me a clue as to why? Did it come from the battery? I can't figure anything else.

  8. #18

    Default

    I use the Serene Renew, also, and leave the batteries in with the doors open. With my non MFi Phonaks I was getting ~ 7 days for the batteries (312). With the Resound Linx2, I'm getting maybe 4 days (13). I read in another thread that the UV light can cause the plastic in the tubing, maybe the ear mold to harden, but, not sure, and too soon to tell. I used to use the Dry & Store Travel version, but, like another poster, got tired of having to buy the bricks, also the size was too big to easily travel with.
    250 500 1K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    R 45 60 60 60 65 65 70 80
    L 45 55 55 60 65 70 75 85
    NU-6 recorded speech
    R: 92% @ 85dB
    L: 92% @ 85dB

    GN Resound Linx2 TS 62 STD RIC

  9. #19

    Default

    The reason for removing the batteries is two-fold:

    On some hearing aids (such as my behind-the-ear Phonaks) opening the battery door will "restart" the hearing aid, but won't turn it off. It temporarily turns off, then restarts in its "automatic" mode because the battery is still touching the electrical contacts.

    Also, the battery is partially covering a section of the hearing aid (such as electrical contacts or the door) which may retain moisture and need to dry out. Removing the battery allows the silica gel dessicant in your dryer to get at all the moisture and do its job.

    The dryer won't harm the battery, but the battery (left in the hearing aid) is simply in the way.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    3,456

    Default

    I'd say a bigger reason was that batteries discharge far faster when they are warmed. Significantly every 10 degrees celcius warmer will double the speed of the chemical reaction inside the cell, whether that voltage is used or not. Any excessive heating will diminish the overall life of the cell.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •