Thread: Genetic Manipulation

Default Genetic Manipulation

Hello

I am wondering if any knows, or can point me to, information on genetic testing to identify a faulty gene causing hearing loss and the current or future availability of genetic manipulation?

I have hereditary sensorineural hearing loss, which seems to take effect in the early 20s. It must be a faulty gene. I’d like to be able to help my children manipulate their offspring to eradicate this problem. I have some time to plan / research as they’re still pre-teen!

It would also be of interest to see if one or both of the kids have the gene, if it could be identified. Can I have a genetic test to help identify a faulty gene?

I asked an otolaryngologist once quickly while having my ears cleaned. He said the technology wasn’t available, but wasn’t particularly helpful. I don’t think he quite caught that I was asking about my (future) grandchildren, not myself.

I read with interest today this NY Times article on human genome editing (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/04/sc...T.nav=top-news).

Thanks

Blog Entries

23andme.com does genetic testing. Its now $195 -- half of what it was when i got mine done. The thing with it is they may not be aware of all the markers that contribute to your problem. Female offspring shouldn't have your X as a problem being YY.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

I doubt that gene manipulation on a fully developed human will be available anytime soon. It will most likely take place prior to or just after fertilization. Once an organism is formed, every cell has a copy of its genetic code. You would have to change the DNA of every cell to make a difference.

Jeff
    250 20/20
    500 25/25
    1000 40/45
    2000 50/55
    4000 60/70
    8000 75/90

2 X Phonak Naida Q70

Quote Originally Posted by jlgreer1 View Post
    I doubt that gene manipulation on a fully developed human will be available anytime soon. It will most likely take place prior to or just after fertilization
    Totally agree and I don't hold out any hope for hair cell regeneration either, within my lifetime. That's why I'm thinking of my (future) grandchildren and what I can do now.

5. Default

I think there are research centers out there that'll collect samples from your family for free?