Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Directional hearing aids

Default Directional hearing aids

Time for new aids have been using America Hears cics mostly because of being able to self program which is a huge plus for me. Now I would like to try directional aids(bte?) to hear conversations better especially in noise. I am hearing about super directional aids but not sure they are out yet. They use wireless tech to talk to each other, I believe. As I said, self program would be a big plus. Could anyone point me in a direction with models to consider with price no object and with value pricing being an object. Thanks.

Sorry my crystal is broke..

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by auggy View Post
    Time for new aids have been using America Hears cics mostly because of being able to self program which is a huge plus for me. Now I would like to try directional aids(bte?) to hear conversations better especially in noise. I am hearing about super directional aids but not sure they are out yet. They use wireless tech to talk to each other, I believe. As I said, self program would be a big plus. Could anyone point me in a direction with models to consider with price no object and with value pricing being an object. Thanks.

first you have to post your audiogram. these aids works for some but not others.

250 l70 r70
    500 l70 r70
    1k l65 r60
    2k l55 r60
    3k l60 r65
    4k l65 r70
    6k l75 r75
    8k l75 r70

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by auggy View Post
    250 l70 r70
    500 l70 r70
    1k l65 r60
    2k l55 r60
    3k l60 r65
    4k l65 r70
    6k l75 r75
    8k l75 r70
    wow, you don't hear well.
    Last edited by doubledown; 05-15-2016 at 12:39 AM.

6. Default

With a loss <80 dB, you normally donīt need frequency-shifting / audibility extender. This is for dead areas.
    right 15 19 23 25 42 44 46 47 49 50
    Hz 0.125 0.25 0.5 1 2 3 4 6 8 10
    left 14 14 26 30 42 45 50 52 52 65

Level of Discomfort right: 80 - 85 dB, left: 85 - 90 dB

Default tinnitus issues

Quote Originally Posted by doubledown View Post
    wow, you don't hear well.

typically for a lost like that people go with a power aid. but your lost happens to be flat. so you got lucky as rite aids receiver tend to have limited dynamic range. you could get the rexton trax 42 ("economy" version of siemens pure 7bx and a relabeled rexton emerald 4c. nobody thinks the performance is that much different between trax 42 and pure 7bx lines) with the p-receiver at costco if you don't have tinnitus issues. this aid has adaptive binaural beamforming technology you are seeking for just $2600 for 2 aids. You must get custom molds. Phonak venture line can only be bought outside of costco but the specs for that aid is lower than the rexton trax 42. This is the only other adaptive binaural beamforming aids on the market. All of these before mentioned line have similar frequency lowering technology that compresses sounds above a cut off frequency.

widex unique came out but you would have to go with their passion bte which barely fits your loss. you may have to go with their old Super power line. This brand has audibility extender. the newer unique version of this tech would work better for your loss as it copies sounds down vs moving them. you can bring sounds down from above 6 kHz and 4 kHz from your left and right ears respectively to where you can hear best. This would actually improve your ability to hear in noise as you are moving higher frequency sounds that the directional microphones are biased for down to where you can hear better.

oticon recently released a new line of power aids via their dynamo line. this has frequency composition technology that may help you but imo this is a poor man's version of widex's audibility extender.

You may want to try more than one brand. if you go to costco first you can try the trax 42 and if you don't like it return the aids after 90 days for a full refund. you can then try out the widex and oticon via hearingrevolution.com or truhearing.com. widex aids can be had for $3200 for the pair. so don't assume they are that much more expensive.
    I do have tinnitus but mentally don't focus on it especially when I have the aids on . Not sure how the tinnitus issue affects this or complicates this and would appreciate your views on this in layman terms. I now have cics that are powered up. Any self programming available for the Costco aids?

8. Default

if you've been wearing aids without tinnitus maskers then you don't need it.
    Last edited by doubledown; 05-15-2016 at 12:39 AM.

Default brief trial

Quote Originally Posted by doubledown View Post
    if you've been wearing aids without tinnitus maskers then you don't need it. It's typically only an issue with new users who recently lost their hearing as their tinnitus is much worse. only the phonak brio are programmable via the phonak target programming software. but imo you really should not be focusing programming. I predict you will be very very disappointed in how little you can improve the performance of an aid via the programming software. the companies really spent a lot of time on their programming software and it's very hard to do better than their default program. but then again with your lost little help is really all you can expect from anything.

if programming is a big deal then go outside of costco. look into hearingrevolution.com and truehearing.com. if you go that route you can try the equivalent (rexton trax 42) siemens binax\rexton emerald 4c line.

however if you never tried a power aid then you really should try the oticon one I suggested. also try the widex unique aid. these 2 aids does things significantly different from others aids on the market so would be a more relevant comparison for you.

BTW costco rexton trax 42 has a bte in their line up so if you go the costco route then get that over the rite aid with the normal earhook. this way you insure you get maximum gain and less feedback issues.
    I tried the rexton 42's and kinda liked the directionality and speech in noise. They were rite with closed domes and the m power. She said their was room for adjustment and if I went to the p or hp that I might not get even a day out of the batteries. Not convinced about the way the testing is done for the audiogram. It seems to me that a good sound balance test should include equalizing the loudness of each frequency(tone) when played. Not just when you think you hear the tone. Do you have a solution for a better test that I am not aware of with these Costco /Rexton aids ? Thanks

Either you got the dumbest AuD at Costco or you never actually went.