Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New member, with lots of questions.....

Contrary to dd' s opinions as daisy depending surgery could help. 80db with today's aids is not problem to correct. Get a pair.

Hi all again,

Today I called to where I had my first audiogram done and i got a copy of my first hearing test carried out in November 2014.

I seem to have had a significant change in my right ear between then and December 2015. Any ideas what could have caused that? I accept there could be variances between equipment and my own perception also, but not as much as 40dB?

Also, the distortion I have in my right ear at certain frequencies, with music and my own voice sometimes, is that curable or filterable out by a hearing aid?

Dec-15
    250hz 500hz 1000hz 2000hz 4000hz 8000hz
    L 15 15 20 40 30 45
    R 75 80 80 75 70 95
    Nov-14
    L 10 15 20 30 35 40
    R 40 45 55 65 60 90
    L 15 15 20 40 30 45
    R 75 80 80 75 70 95

The steroids were prescribed as they can be successful in reversing sudden sensorineural loss.

I'd contend that it's likely there's little or no conductive portion within the Asymmetry or the ENTs would be talking about middle ear function. Another thing to note is that the loss isn't indicative of typical noise damage.

The fact that the loss is progressive is a bit worrying.
    Last edited by Um bongo; 01-25-2016 at 03:49 PM.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post
    The steroids were prescribed as they can be successful in reversing sudden sensorineural loss.

I'd contend that it's likely there's little or no conductive portion within the Asymmetry or the ENTs would be talking about middle ear function. Another thing to note is that the loss isn't indicative of typical noise damage.

Yeah, the progression worry me too. Its not something that has been present in any of my family to date, my parents both lived to old age hearing reasonably well. Hopefully its a fluke - fingers crossed.....

I can't understand how I could have dropped 30 dB in one year......
    L 15 15 20 40 30 45
    R 75 80 80 75 70 95

Quote Originally Posted by Um bongo View Post

Just checking, have you seen anything similar in your experience?

I can remember clearly when the change happened, it was over one weekend, after I had been in hospital. I was being checked for chest pain, had a Nexium and Aspirin administered - I assume thats coincidental, but I did recall reading somewhere that some antibiotics are bad for hearing?

Or is that internet mythology?
    L 15 15 20 40 30 45
    R 75 80 80 75 70 95

A degree of ototoxicity is known side effect of both Aspirin and certain antibiotics. However you'd likely see the same effect on both ears, unless there's an underlying issue in the pathology.

I have seen progression of significant asymmetry over the course of years, there might be an underlying neural or blood supply issue. This might be due to a congenital disorder, disease or non-organic (trauma) issue. It's referrable as acoustic neuroma can occur and although sometimes benign the pressure they put on the auditory nerve causes this kind of issue. Unfortunately they are very small and sometimes difficult to see even with high resolution scans due to the relative density of the bone surrounding them.

If you are able to get a second opinion, it might be worthwhile: monitoring the loss in the short term would be a definite.
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

7. Default

I bet your hospital stay was a big part of your hearing loss.
    Last edited by doubledown; 05-14-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by doubledown View Post
    ototoxity is a term you doctor probably only heard twice. once in medical school and the time when you bring it up.

ignore the advert in the following link. I bet your hospital stay was a big part of your hearing loss. neosporin contains neomycin. I believe neomycin is also typically the main ingredient in the antibiotic droplets for the ears. aspirin and ibuprofen is on the list. so don't assume things.

Drugs-that-Cause-HL.pdf

be aware that malpractice statue of limitations for some states can be as low as 2 years. if you intend to pursue legal options you better start doing it now.
    Jesus to buggery can you stop posting this shit!

Ototoxicity does not affect one ear more than the other unless it's under the terms I outlined above OR you are topically applying the poison directly to one ear.

Where do you get off claiming to be knowledgeable in this area, when you clearly aren't? Any Lawyer/Audiologist would eat this argument for breakfast.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

DD take break dude.. I just can't figure out how a guy living in his mom's basement thinks he knows so much.. have your mom get your meds refilled.

Blog Entries

Jakey, when you resort to insult, the good info you impart gets seriously discounted. Think about it. You may enjoy it but it isn't serving you well.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare