Thread: Distorted Hearing in One Ear

Default Distorted Hearing in One Ear

Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have had distorted hearing on one side - sometimes, I can feel a pulsing feeling in my right, worse ear if Im in the presence of loudish music.

Also, if in a noisy environment, and someone was speaking or shouting loudly in my right ear, it would sound like a blown speaker or an old time badly tuned in radio station.

I'm hoping this isn't because this ear is past aiding, or that my brain doesn't recognise certain frequencies on that side anymore.

Question i have is, is this fixable by a hearing aid, and does my brain have the ability to relearn the sounds it may have forgotten over the past few years?
    250hz 500hz 1000hz 2000hz 4000hz 8000hz
    L 15 15 20 40 30 45
    R 75 80 80 75 70 95

My advice is stay away from loud music and aholes who shout in your ear.

Blog Entries

Well, I have a similar situation with some distortion from certain speaking voices. It seems to be part of one's particular failure with the appropriate sound/level being distorted by what is left of the hearing. I also have poor word recognition in that ear.

It helps to have an app that allows lowering volume temporarily in such situation. It seems the best the fitter can come up with is to reduce the amplification in the target area described. I prefer to do it with an app in the instances it is causing the problem on a repeating basis and living with the occasional times.

The alternative would be to set a second program with the audi that reduces the range that is distorting. You could then switch to that program when thing get rough.

This really isn't a great answer but it is what I've come up with.
    Hidden Content
    KS6's w. Phone Clip +
    There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so. -- William Shakespeare

4. Default

Aiden,

Last summer, before I had any hearing aids, I experienced the same distorted, rattling sounds that you describe. The effect did not go away, so I went to an ENT. He said there was nothing seriously wrong, but there was a small amount of impacted wax, and perhaps some sign of an infection. He performed a roto-rooter job and prescribed some antibiotic drops. Within a few days the distortion was completely gone and has not returned.

I have since bought hearing aids, but in my case the distortion appeared to be unrelated to the aids.
    Gene

Freq - 250 - 500 - 1k -1.5k - 2k - 3k - 4k - 6k - 8k
    -- R -- 35 -- 40 - 45 - 55 -- 65 - 70 - 70 - 70 - 70
    -- L -- 25 -- 35 - 45 - 55 -- 60 - 60 - 65 - 65 - 65

When I lost the hearing in my left ear, the sound I did perceive was extremely distorted. Even with a hearing aid, it remains distorted, although I can distinguish a few more words. I suspect whatever damage was done during the autoimmune attack, it was to the part that processes clear sound.

Thanks all.

It seems that the distortion won't be fixable then, thats what I was worrying about. I'll see what the audi can cook up on the aid when I visit on Friday.

I don't think I have any wax though, they have taken a good look in there on more than one occasion.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks all.

It seems that the distortion won't be fixable then, thats what I was worrying about. I'll see what the audi can cook up on the aid when I visit on Friday.

I don't think I have any wax though, they have taken a good look in there on more than one occasion.
    250hz 500hz 1000hz 2000hz 4000hz 8000hz
    L 15 15 20 40 30 45
    R 75 80 80 75 70 95

I had something similar when I was in my teens. As far as I know, my hearing was normal then. When I heard pots and pans rattling, it set off a cacophony in my ear. Like you, I compared it to a bad stereo speaker (only then, most speakers were hi-fi). When I whistled, something inside my ear vibrated in an interval of a perfect third. I had been swimming and diving for endless hours daily for months before it started, and my theory was that I'd forced some water or junk into the middle ear through the eustacian tube. Is that possible/likely? I've never come up with a better theory. It went away after several months.

Now I have some distortion in my left ear if I'm listening to music through ear buds (without my hearing aids). But this distortion is just a muffling or slight garbling of the sounds -- not like a bad stereo speaker, and not disturbing.
    Freq: Right Left
    250 40 60
    500 50 65
    1000 50 60
    2000 45 45
    4000 65 70
    8000 9070

Right: SRT=50 dB, WRS 92% at 70 dB
    Left: SRT=60 dB, WRS 80% at 80 dB

Had stapedotomy on left ear in May, 2015. Prior to that had a severe/profound loss across all frequencies in my left ear.

Widex220

Quote Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
    Hi all,

Just wondering if any of you have had distorted hearing on one side - sometimes, I can feel a pulsing feeling in my right, worse ear if Im in the presence of loudish music.

Also, if in a noisy environment, and someone was speaking or shouting loudly in my right ear, it would sound like a blown speaker or an old time badly tuned in radio station.

I'm hoping this isn't because this ear is past aiding, or that my brain doesn't recognise certain frequencies on that side anymore.

Question i have is, is this fixable by a hearing aid, and does my brain have the ability to relearn the sounds it may have forgotten over the past few years?
    It goes along with the hearing loss. If I am in a very loud environment, like a stadium, and the crowd gets whipped up, it can sound distorted to me, like a blown speaker, and even makes me dizzy.

A good hearing aid fitting can get your hearing boosted without too much distortion, for 90% of situations (which is much better than nothing).

New! 2014 ....2016
    Freq . L/R .... L/R . . . Word Recognition and Equipment
    250 .. 25/20 .. 40/45
    500 .. 20/25 .. 30/40 . . . SRT L/R = 35/65 , WRS @ 35/85 L/R = 64/56%
    1000 .30/40 .. 35/60 . . Kirkland 5.0 Costco (December 2014)
    1500 .50/55 .. 55/65 . . Phone Clip+ (May 2013)
    2000 .55/70 .. 60/75 . . TV Transmitter (Dec 2014)
    3000 .75/90 .. 95/100
    4000 85/100 . 90/90
    6000 .90/100 . 90/105
    8000 .80/90 .. 90/95

9. Default

fluid trapped behind your ear drum will often cause this kind of distortion. In the spring, if you have allergies, it can happen that your esutachian tubes will become blocked and result in fluid build up. It doesn't require an infection to happen. don't lose all hope just yet! Try unblocking your eustachian tubes with antihistimines. this could take a good long while however--a surprisingly long time. Google this.
    250 500 1000 2000 4000 8000
    L 20 25 15 15 40 75
    R 65 70 60 40 70 100