Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lifelong analog user, need help updating and adjusting

1. Default

Hi,

as I said before, an audiologist who takes things seriously would have to make an in-situ-measurement of the old aid.

Then you can program a digital aid to reproduce that sound. Then you can slowly (!) improve those settings if you want.

Congrats to your new "old" aids. Those are quite some achievements you have listed and I think you are right in staying with the analogs.

If you want to try digital aids again, Iīd ask the audi up-front if he is willing to take the in-situ measurement of the old aid as a starting point. If not, go somewhere else.

Honestly, taking an audiogram, entering those numbers in the fitting software and let the computer do the work is a piece of cake. I can do that in 15 minutes with the software I am used to (including taking the audiogram, without audiogram: 5 minutes)

I could produce a "no compression" program in another two minutes, even if the software has no "linear" button.

A case like yours really would need a professional: Taking correct in-situ measurements is not easy, re-programming a digital aid to match this isnīt easy either (because you have to start from scratch, there is no target that will match this). But if the so called professionals just go and press the button and tell people like you that you arenīt normal, because you donīt like what it sounds if "on target", then we donīt need professionals.

Iīm sure that there are great audiologists around, but it seems that the button-pressers are legion.

Yours

Musician_72
    right 15 19 23 25 42 44 46 47 49 50
    Hz 0.125 0.25 0.5 1 2 3 4 6 8 10
    left 14 14 26 30 42 45 50 52 52 65

Level of Discomfort right: 80 - 85 dB, left: 85 - 90 dB

Quote Originally Posted by viridian View Post
    She starts giving me dubious looks and telling me that I'm "really far off my target" and that "your prescription really should be for these settings." I knew as soon as I got to the noisier receptionist's area that I wasn't going to be able to handle the sounds, but made it to the car before ripping it out of my ear and having (yet another) meltdown. I did want to take it home and try to figure out how to communicate the sound differences to the audiologist and perhaps have it adjusted more to my comfort, but after the Naida completely mangled the high, pure flute notes in my favorite piece of classical music I just... gave up.
    So it sounds like the settings for your hearing loss sound too loud to you. Doesn't that tell you that you have had them set too low for a long time? You may need to go through an adjustment period like a new wearer, 1 hour the first day or two, then 2 hours, then 4 hours, and so on. Things like crinkling paper, running water, electronic chirps, etc. will sound way too loud at first but you will get used to it pretty quickly, and your brain will start to filter out those things.

The high tones will get much clearer in a couple of months. My first one was a Starkey Destiny CIC and high tones were terribly distorted and fuzzy. Music sounded terrible. I just thought that was the way it was with hearing aids. After about 6 months I noticed one day that high musical tones were incredibly clear and pure. It had been a long time since I had heard music like that.

One more question, about taking a hearing test. Do you press the button as soon as you can identify there is a sound, or do you wait until the tone is loud enough to hear well. If it was the latter that would account for hearing aids set for your "prescription" sounding too loud.

Did you get two hearing aids? If so then you would definitely have to go through the new wearer adjustment, and yes, they will sound loud at first.

New! 2014 ....2016
    Freq . L/R .... L/R . . . Word Recognition and Equipment
    250 .. 25/20 .. 40/45
    500 .. 20/25 .. 30/40 . . . SRT L/R = 35/65 , WRS @ 35/85 L/R = 64/56%
    1000 .30/40 .. 35/60 . . Kirkland 5.0 Costco (December 2014)
    1500 .50/55 .. 55/65 . . Phone Clip+ (May 2013)
    2000 .55/70 .. 60/75 . . TV Transmitter (Dec 2014)
    3000 .75/90 .. 95/100
    4000 85/100 . 90/90
    6000 .90/100 . 90/105
    8000 .80/90 .. 90/95

No on-board volume control?

Trying seven aids in a few weeks?

4. Default

My suggestion would be Oticon Nera2, or better, devices. Or if you are working with older models, you can go with Agil, or Alta. Do not go with Acto or Ino or Nera. You will struggle more with any other aids on the market from any other manufacturer. The reason is because of Oticon's VAC fitting formula. The VAC formula attempts to mimic a "minimally compressed, analog window" around the speech signal, isolating it from the rest of the compressed digital signal. You will want to move very slowly. Basically, you will work to get the devices "comfortable" enough to wear them all day. They do not have to sound perfect to you, but just comfortable enough to wear all day without screaming. Then your fitter needs to look at the final end result goal and extrapolate a manual adaptation path where you come into the office every 2 weeks or so for a minor adjustment to transition you from your "comfort" setting to the "prescriptive" setting. It may take several months to get you there, so it will take some patience and persistence on your part. I would also look into doing auditory therapy exercises through brainhq.com while this process is going on to better train your brain on the new sound quality.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." - Ben Franklin

250 500 750 1k 1.5k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k
    L 25 30 30 35 40 40 50 50 50 50
    R 30 30 35 40 45 45 50 50 55 55
    WR potential - 98%
    unaided WR - 46%
    aided WR - 100% (normal)
    unaided SNR loss - 5.5 dB
    aided SNR loss - .5 dB (normal)
    stepped in the shower with devices on - 3 times

Currently wearing - Oticon Opn 1 minirites with minifit60 receivers and no domes

Hello, Just joined the forum today. So, yeah, this thread is like a year old, but I can't believe no-one has said this: General Hearing Instruments, (GHI) based in Louisiana, will make you a analog aid.

I had the same problem a few years ago - my aids failing, time for new ones, and low and behold, it's all digitals now. Yeah, sucks. But GHI will still make you one!!!!!
    I have two of them, (CIC) and quite honestly, they are just as good or better as the siemens/starkeys/others that I've had in years past....

Please check them out. www.generalhearing.com - they have a search feature to find dealers in your area.

And, to you, Viridian, I love your story because mine is so similar, however, I've been lucky enough to be dealing with some top-ace audiologists in my journey. Sadly, mine retired a few years back so I'm still looking for a new one for the eventual replacements... you mentioned, you live by Lloyds? I assume Rockford, IL? Well, there are several audiologists that deal with GHI that are well within a one-hour drive from that area.

Good luck, I hope someone who still wants a brand-new analog aid is reading this.
    250 500 1k 2k 3k 4k 6k 8k
    Left 40 40 55 60 60 60 60 65
    Right 40 40 60 60 60 60 60 70

Analog wearer for 40+ years, mostly IC/CIC type