Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New solutions for Tinnitus ? Need some help.

Question New solutions for Tinnitus ? Need some help.

Hello,

I'm new here, so hi everyone

I'm a professional musician, and have Tinnitus since 2000, I have managed to live with it, but since last year my Tinnitus becomes more and more difficult to live with it. The Tinnitus I have is a high frequency around 10000hz but since a few days I have a new one that's more like a morse code sound, and honestly I am completely lost and don't know what to do ...

I read a lot of things and solutions, but don't know what is scam and really working. I've also read about new genetic treatments, but what would you suggest me to do ? As a musician, this is really frustrating and at night I have issue to sleep.

thanks so much for your help and have a great day,

Hans

2. Default

Hi,

as far as I know there is no really new treatment that really works.

I also have a long-time high pitched tinnitus (around 6 kHz) and suddenly started to get a much louder, deeper note (around 3 kHz). I also sometimes had some "beeping".

I also started suffering from hyperacusis, so I went to a doctor and he recommended hearing aids. The aids lessened my hearing-strain, and the other symptoms were reduced (they are not completely gone, but good to live with).

I think that there are many users here who can tell that after getting used to hearing aids, the tinnitus got better.

If you do not have any hearing loss, matters are different. So my first question: Do you have hearing loss? If so, how much? Which instruments do you play, are you often exposed to loud sounds? Do you have other hearing problems like hyperacusis or not understanding people or else?

I do not work as a professional musician, though I studied music (piano, voice and guitar) and know a bit about the things that trouble you.
    right 15 19 23 25 42 44 46 47 49 50
    Hz 0.125 0.25 0.5 1 2 3 4 6 8 10
    left 14 14 26 30 42 45 50 52 52 65

Level of Discomfort right: 80 - 85 dB, left: 85 - 90 dB

Hello,

thank you for your kind and informative answer.

I've a big hearing loss above 6Khz but I'd need to see if I can find the paper from the doctor to be precise, but the hissing is (from personal testing with sound generator) around 10Khz, and just like you I have the impression I hear other frequencies now and then coming in and some beeps etc. I've been thinking to stop playing live, even though I have very good ear protections since years. In some recent cases I have found that I have hissing that doesn't come from hearing loss but from simple computer ventilators or noises in the house, as if my brain or ear records those sounds, and then plays them back, very odd. I understand what people say, so the doctor said I didn't need any aid for now. I have to say that I have had a LOT of sinusitis infections in my life since 40 years and that I have used ear plugs to sleep at night the last 15 years too, which have made things worse too.

Do you use your hearing aids at night too or how do you handle the hissing at night ?

Regarding new treatments, how is research going regarding the newer genetic solutions ? I read about it everywhere since two years, but can't find any info if they already started to test on humans ?

thanks again for your help,

kind regards,

Hans

Blog Entries

Most of my issues are in the speech range, and that is also where my ringing issues are at. I describe mine as white noise but I am not so sure that is really it.
    Chuck
    Navy Vet (Service Related hearing loss)
    Hidden Content
    Oticon custom ITC Alta Pro with Streamer Pro 1.3, TV connect 2, phone connect, Streamer Mic, and IPhone app
    khz 250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    rht
    lft 25 35 50 60 70 65 65 60 50

Srt
    rht 45db
    lft 40db
    word recognition
    right 44% @90db
    left 80% @ 90db

5. Default

Try tinnitustalk.com , you can find some advices there
    125 250 500 1000 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 5 5 20 25 40 45 50 45 50
    R 5 10 25 45 55 65 65 60 65

Oticon OPN master race
    Sorry for my english

Blog Entries

This is what I know that makes my ringing worse, caffeine, my allergies to cedar, to much salt, diuretics, and any kind of pain meds. So in a way I have no relief. I do not drink tea, or coffee so that helps, and I do not eat out very often due to the salt that all of the eating places believe that have to scoop in the food they cook. And as long as I do not get too much salt I do not need diuretics to lower my BP.
    Chuck
    Navy Vet (Service Related hearing loss)
    Hidden Content
    Oticon custom ITC Alta Pro with Streamer Pro 1.3, TV connect 2, phone connect, Streamer Mic, and IPhone app
    khz 250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    rht
    lft 25 35 50 60 70 65 65 60 50

Srt
    rht 45db
    lft 40db
    word recognition
    right 44% @90db
    left 80% @ 90db

Quote Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
    This is what I know that makes my ringing worse, caffeine, my allergies to cedar, to much salt, diuretics, and any kind of pain meds. So in a way I have no relief. I do not drink tea, or coffee so that helps, and I do not eat out very often due to the salt that all of the eating places believe that have to scoop in the food they cook. And as long as I do not get too much salt I do not need diuretics to lower my BP.
    My BP is naturally low, so the salt isn't of any issue here, I think mine is most due to music and live playing and recently also stress ... really not sure anymore. I don't drink cofee, few alcohol, and have a quite good food regime with lots of vegetables, and drink a lot of water too, very few fat, I do some sport too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spingee View Post
    Try tinnitustalk.com , you can find some advices there
    thanks for that link!

8. Default

I donīt wear my aids in the night. I think there are some people who wear their tinnitus-maskers in the night.

With hearing aids, you can do the following:

- hope that the tinnitus will get less if you wear them. This effect is persistent in a way that the tinnitus is also less when you donīt wear them
    - use a tinnitus-masker (there are different ones, I think widex is the company with the most experience in this field)

I read an article about that: The human ear and brain is not made for complete silence. Thousands of years ago, when people were sleeping in the wild, there was always some rustling, animals and so on. No complete silence, never. If you encounter complete silence, the brain is making off some noise - there you have your tinnitus.

With my hearing aids, I hear the fan of my pc, the clock ticking, my clothes rustling and so on, even if itīs quite silent. Also I donīt have to strain myself to understand people. Thatīs what I think is why my tinnitus got better with hearing aids.

As for gene therapy, the scientific papers reported some progress in making nerves sensitive to light. This way you can implant a much finer grained cochlear implant that emits light, not electric stimuli.

In my opinion, gene therapy is still very experimental and very risky. Iīd consider it only if itīs a matter of life or death.

Is your tinnitus worse after gigs? If so, maybe the ear protection is not as good as you think. Also, you cannot protect yourself from very low sounds, because they come in through the bones.

Here in germany we have a professor for music-related illnesses, maybe you find something like this in your country. Also it would be a good idea if you find the exact amount of your hearing loss.

Good luck!

9. Default

I just saw that you are from france.

Freiburg is not far away, have a look at this:

http://fim.mh-freiburg.de/

Bon soir,

Musician_72

Thanks for that link!

Very interesting to read about your hearing aids diminishing your tinnitus, if I could have it less agressive especially at night, that would be great, during the day I have learned to live with it, but it's during the night that it causes me the most issues. Also the fact that I used ear plugs during the last 15 years is not good and your info about the brain compensating silence with sound is right on that, I think it made my tinnitus worse after all.

Yes when I come home from gigs I can clearly hear more tinnitus, or better said louder. The ear protection I have is made by a professional and is very confortable but I think that my ears are very sensible right now and that the smallest amount of noise is already enough to make things worse.

It would really be good if they could find a good way to repair ears, because it's a real pain to live with.

thanks!

Hans