Thread: What can cause adult onset cookie bite loss?

Question What can cause adult onset cookie bite loss?

A couple year ago my hearing was OK. Now it isn't, but my hearing aids brighten up speech recognition wonderfully. (and brought birdsong and windchimes back)

IIUC, high frequency HL is age related and progressive. My question is what causes mid frequency loss and is there anything that I can do to stop it from getting worse?
    Last edited by USN_retired; 03-29-2016 at 06:51 AM.
    Phonak Bolero V90's
    Compilot II streaming from TV-link II while others hear surround sound speakers
    Compilot II streaming from Windows 7 computer

hz...250....500....750...1k......2k.......4k...... 8k
    L.....35.....35......55.....50......45......30.... ..35
    R.....30....25.......40.....55......45......35.... ..35

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USN_retired View Post
    A couple year ago my hearing was OK. Now it isn't, but my hearing aids brighten up speech recognition wonderfully. (and brought birdsong and windchimes back)

IIUC, high frequency HL is age related and progressive. My question is what causes mid frequency loss and is there anything that I can do to stop it from getting worse?
    I also have a cookie bit hearing loss, and my hearing is getting worse over time. I was told that more than likely my loss was due to being around jet aircraft, and flying in the cargo bay of the old c141s. Also there are the fans from the equipment bays of the transmitters and receivers that I was in charge of. And oh yes the shooting of the weapons, I did as a child and ever since. So this is not a lecture, just what I was given as the whys for my hearing loss.

Also think you so much for your service.
    Chuck
    Navy Vet (Service Related hearing loss)
    Hidden Content
    Oticon custom ITC Alta Pro with Streamer Pro 1.3, TV connect 2, phone connect, Streamer Mic, and IPhone app
    khz 250 500 1K 1.5K 2K 3K 4K 6K 8K
    rht
    lft 25 35 50 60 70 65 65 60 50

Srt
    rht 45db
    lft 40db
    word recognition
    right 44% @90db
    left 80% @ 90db

You might be generating low frequency dead-spots on the basilar membrane, these sometimes appear as a low/mid hearing loss with associated loss of resolution. Could be your genetic disposition or another non-organic source. It's incredibly difficult to isolate the sources (apart from the obvious ones like noise/drugs etc).

What's you family history (of hearing loss) like?
    'He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life.'
    Link to my entry in the Hidden Content section.
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content - Maintenance Stuff
    Hidden Content Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by USN_retired View Post

Genetics can be one cause, exposure to harmful levels of noise another and using ototoxic drugs still another. The only thing you can really do is protect the hearing you have left by using good hearing protectors whenever you are around harmful noise to slow it down.
    Oticon Agil Pro w/streamer

-250 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 4000 6000 8000
    L 10--5----10----30---50----70----85---80---80
    R 5--10----20----35---45----85----85--100--100

SP Disc ------------- SRT
    L 88% @55db ------- L-10
    R 90% @55db------- R-25

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions offered, but I'm afraid Occam's razor selects: ototoxicity. My tinnitus and hearing loss started about 12 months after maxing out on Naproxen (I was already maxed out on Tylenol) I was really really hoping for a different answer. I'll just have to deal that's all. Thanks to all that responded.
    I think I'll spring for the notch therapy that I saw on another board.

Re: ototoxicity.
    The medical establishment (bless their little hearts) claim certain prescriptions cause tinnitus but "cognitive therapy" fixes it. That to me is a HUGE red flag that they're just "waving their arms."
    Last edited by USN_retired; 04-07-2016 at 01:00 PM.
    Phonak Bolero V90's
    Compilot II streaming from TV-link II while others hear surround sound speakers
    Compilot II streaming from Windows 7 computer

hz...250....500....750...1k......2k.......4k...... 8k
    L.....35.....35......55.....50......45......30.... ..35
    R.....30....25.......40.....55......45......35.... ..35